Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey (Read 21998 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey

Reply #15
I think Kym Lebois might be a decent forward pocket goalsneak when fit and firing, the other bloke I like is Liam Ryan from Subiaco, cant believe he hasnt been drafted unless he has a preference for staying in WA...

Lamb and Sumner are both delist candidates...I prefer Sumner as he has courage, pace and can tackle well but he cant stay on the park and just doesnt get enough ball...shame because he has talent..

Reply #16
I think Kym Lebois might be a decent forward pocket goalsneak when fit and firing, the other bloke I like is Liam Ryan from Subiaco, cant believe he hasnt been drafted unless he has a preference for staying in WA...

Lamb and Sumner are both delist candidates...I prefer Sumner as he has courage, pace and can tackle well but he cant stay on the park and just doesnt get enough ball...shame because he has talent..
Agree with all that, wish Sumner could get a good run of injury free footy, as you say, has talent and pace to burn.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Looking at the team, all but maybe 3 have had a go in the seniors  :o
Been awhile since we can look at the Reserves and have a choice of players to fill spots in the 1's.
Good work Blues
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #18
Agree with all that, wish Sumner could get a good run of injury free footy, as you say, has talent and pace to burn.

I just can't see it.  Sumner reminds me of Dylan Buckley but without the attitude and big kicking.

I hope he proves me wrong but I think he's been left behind.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
I just can't see it.  Sumner reminds me of Dylan Buckley but without the attitude and big kicking.

A bugger alright. Most certainly signals our rebuilt is on track at worst. Flying sensational at best.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20

When Sumner is on he's a better footballer than Buckley, but I'm not sure either has a long term future based on current form.

We would all love the romance of young Buckley getting stuck in for the Blues, but the chances grow slimmer day by day!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
When Sumner is on he's a better footballer than Buckley, but I'm not sure either has a long term future based on current form.

We would all love the romance of young Buckley getting stuck in for the Blues, but the chances grow slimmer day by day!

Very interesting times for mc.
Giving the ??blokes a final chance v getting games into our future stars.
Not easy but exactly where our club needs to be.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22

Has Sumner ever been on though LP?  He looks OK in cameo appearances then becomes the invisible man.  Buckley doesn't do nearly enough to justify a first 22 spot but that's not through lack of effort.

Some folk reckon Sumner's inability to get the pill is down to interrupted pre-seasons but I'm not sure that excuse is valid for a bloke in his sixth season on an AFL list.  As I said before, I hope he proves me wrong but his career prospects aren't looking too bright.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
Army will pull the plug at the end of the year.
I would hope that he continues with the NBs.

Buckley, Sumner and Lamb will all be axed. Just not quite good enough.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #24
Army will pull the plug at the end of the year.
I would hope that he continues with the NBs.

Buckley, Sumner and Lamb will all be axed. Just not quite good enough.

I would like to see Army continue in a playing/development role at the NBs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Don't be surprised if McKay is being rested as he has been pencilled in for his first game next week in the seniors.

Hes a top 10 pick and needs to get a decent run in the firsts imo soon to see how he fares. With the bye round in 3 weeks time makes sense to play him for 2 weeks leading up to it and then gets a rest.

Then again what do I know.

Reply #27
Don't be surprised if McKay is being rested as he has been pencilled in for his first game next week in the seniors.

Hes a top 10 pick and needs to get a decent run in the firsts imo soon to see how he fares. With the bye round in 3 weeks time makes sense to play him for 2 weeks leading up to it and then gets a rest.

Then again what do I know.

IMHO, it would be an awful mistake to bring a 1st year player into the 1s off a rest. Just as it was an awful mistake to play Fisher in the 1s first week back after an injury lay-off!

I have no problem doing this with typical experienced players, but 1st years and beginners do not have the muscle memory yet to switch on from cold and should only come in off the back of a good game!

Match fitness and form is good fitness and form!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Not an expert, but the lack of enthusiasm, and a clear front runner out of Sumner, Lamb and Buckley does make it seem like more than one decent game ( possibly against weaker or cue-in-the-rack opposition ) would be required to retain a player who have not shown they can be consistent contributors at senior level.

There would still seem to be a spot for a really good shutdown back pocket, and reports have mentioned Buckley playing in the back-line, so maybe of the three Buckley may be retained as a "squad/depth" player.

Good to see the Bullants are at least competitive this year.

Reply #29
Game is live streamed 2pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMncze0kq28#action=share

Thank you, Spotted One. Phew, I was getting ready for the journey in (1 hr drive, or just over 1 1/2 hours by train). So now, pies in the oven, computer next to the TV, HDMI cable and away we go... Must keep a better eye on the VFL website.  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17