Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18494 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Fair point...some players dont bother getting up for 2's footy and maybe if he was in the seniors he might go harder and better.
I like Denis but he hasnt justified a recall based on form...Dylan Buckley is probably next in the que and with his career on the line he probably deserves a couple of games to
show what he has got...

Denis should be tearing it up in the VFL but he's barely having an impact.  I reckon that's not down to lack of effort, the game has passed him by ... and that happens to most great servants of the club.  It may be a little harsh but, with hindsight, giving Denis another year was perhaps not the best list management decision.  It seems that the club is interested in his coaching potential but that shouldn't mean allowing him to take up a spot on the list that could have gone to someone with potential to crack the AFL side.

Like most supporters, I'd love to see Dylan emulate his old man but I don't think it's going to happen.  He is a great kick but simply doesn't get enough of the ball.  I can't see how he could possibly get a game ahead of blokes who have been playing better footy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Re: Dennis

His playing career may well be nearing an end. There's no doubt he's given his best and won many admirers.

I remember this time last year when Dennis cut loose v Crows. He kicked 4 goals in the first half. The crowd was chanting "give it to Dennis". Memorable. We lost by 10 goals but Dennis put on a clinic. Check the highlights reel if you want to see Dennis at his best....

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
i hope we dont fall into the trap of dees injuries the game will be easy win ,we just have to look at cats v gws

Reply #18
Not sure this is the best thread - apologies if it's not.

Q. I understand Gussy Sheehan has been upgraded - Rookie to seniors. (Courtesy LTI Phillips). What does this mean for wherw ASOS can play future games?

Thx in advance folks.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
Not sure this is the best thread - apologies if it's not.

Q. I understand Gussy Sheehan has been upgraded - Rookie to seniors. (Courtesy LTI Phillips). What does this mean for wherw ASOS can play future games?

Thx in advance folks.
Alex has no problems: he is replacing Rowe. he can play as many as he is fit for and he will probably be available next week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
Denis should be tearing it up in the VFL but he's barely having an impact.  I reckon that's not down to lack of effort, the game has passed him by ... and that happens to most great servants of the club.  It may be a little harsh but, with hindsight, giving Denis another year was perhaps not the best list management decision.  It seems that the club is interested in his coaching potential but that shouldn't mean allowing him to take up a spot on the list that could have gone to someone with potential to crack the AFL side.

Like most supporters, I'd love to see Dylan emulate his old man but I don't think it's going to happen.  He is a great kick but simply doesn't get enough of the ball.  I can't see how he could possibly get a game ahead of blokes who have been playing better footy.

Dennis did have a decent year last year so you really had to offer him another year. Then no telling when the game passes someone by. Some go to 30, others 38 but when "the wall" hits it hits quickly and insidiously. This will be his last year on the list though. Glad to she he ended up a 10 year player though.

As for Buckley, at times he almost gets there. His running goals last year were so exciting but, like every other time, he slips back again.

Reply #21
Alex has no problems: he is replacing Rowe. he can play as many as he is fit for and he will probably be available next week.

Tanks Crash.

He really adds a different dimension to the back line >:D
Look forward to see him back doing what he does so well.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Denis should be tearing it up in the VFL but he's barely having an impact.  I reckon that's not down to lack of effort, the game has passed him by ... and that happens to most great servants of the club.  It may be a little harsh but, with hindsight, giving Denis another year was perhaps not the best list management decision.

I don't have a problem with his short term deal, he's clearly acting in a mentoring role for the new kids and the AFLW.

As you know he is one of our more vocal players down at VFL level, and while he may no longer have that break-away power or influence he still knows where to be and when.

I suppose this is a difference between Denis and Daisy, Daisy's AFL game never really relied on outside run and pace, so in that respect Denis has a bigger hurdle to overcome to get into the 1s.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
CARLTON
In:J.Lamb, S.Petrevski-Seton, C.Byrne, H.Macreadie, H.McKay
Out: L.Sumner, C.Marchbank (shoulder)

MELBOURNE
In: J.Garlett, J.Trengove, D.Kent, J.Hogan, J.Kennedy-Harris, S.Weideman, J.Smith
Out: D.Tyson (knee), T.Bugg (suspension), J.Viney (foot), M.White

Interchange from: 32. Nick Graham 26. Harrison Macreadie 10. Harry McKay 21. Ciaran Sheehan 13. Jed Lamb 38. Ciaran Byrne 5. Sam Petrevksi-Seton

Reply #24
Very interesting to see if Harry makes the final cut.
I think this will have a lot of people excited
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #25
I don't have a problem with his short term deal, he's clearly acting in a mentoring role for the new kids and the AFLW.

As you know he is one of our more vocal players down at VFL level, and while he may no longer have that break-away power or influence he still knows where to be and when.

I suppose this is a difference between Denis and Daisy, Daisy's AFL game never really relied on outside run and pace, so in that respect Denis has a bigger hurdle to overcome to get into the 1s.

Getting a little off topic but I'd like to see the club encourage retiring players to continue their career with the NBs, particularly those with the ability to mentor and encourage young blokes and provide leadership and presence on the field.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
Very interesting to see if Harry makes the final cut.
I think this will have a lot of people excited

Ground conditions should play a significant part in the decision. He must be given very chance to succeed.

Reply #27
Carlton's Round 16 extended squad:

Backs   15. Sam Docherty   14. Liam Jones   20. Lachie Plowman
Half-backs   43. Simon White   23. Jacob Weitering   39. Dale Thomas
Centreline   6. Kade Simpson   9. Patrick Cripps   28. David Cuningham
Half-forwards   1. Jack Silvagni   41. Levi Casboult   11. Sam Kerridge
Forwards   25. Zac Fisher   30. Charlie Curnow   46. Matthew Wright
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer   4. Bryce Gibbs   3. Marc Murphy (C)

Interchange from:   32. Nick Graham   26. Harrison Macreadie   10. Harry McKay
    21. Ciaran Sheehan   13. Jed Lamb   38. Ciaran Byrne
    5. Sam Petrevksi-Seton       
In: Lamb, Petrevski-Seton, Byrne, Macreadie, McKay

Out: Sumner (omitted), Marchbank (shoulder)

Reply #28
Last time I tried to guess the final line-up for a Sunday game I got it totally wrong, so, based on that Lamb won't be coming in for Sumner and Macreadie won't be coming in for Marchbank (which is what I would anticipate...)... so, Byrne for Marchbank and Samo for Sumner  ;) ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
Last time I tried to guess the final line-up for a Sunday game I got it totally wrong, so, based on that Lamb won't be coming in for Sumner and Macreadie won't be coming in for Marchbank (which is what I would anticipate...)... so, Byrne for Macreadie and Samo for Sumner  ;) ;D

Reckon Lamb and Samo in....