Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Post Game Insanity: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 14160 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Post Game Insanity: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #15
Cripps and Ed Curnow lacked support and we ran out of numbers....the Geelong second tier mids in Duncan and Menegola stepped up at the crunch time and our main man Cripps was exhausted. Bit hard to fathom why Graham didnt play IMO in those conditions.....

We lack two crumbing types who can kick cheap goals, Wright is handy but not quick enough to make something out of not much...

Pickett’s injury has really hurt, as has Garlett’s lack of form. I’d consider playing Murphy in that type of role

Reply #16
This is a worry - Cripps is beginning to look very beat up. As we have oft said - he needs help!

The way Bolton keeps talking about Cripps as a warrior makes me a worrier. It's almost as though he reckons Cripps can take unlimited punishment. I hope it's only for show and not what he really thinks.

Reply #17
Pickett’s injury has really hurt, as has Garlett’s lack of form. I’d consider playing Murphy in that type of role

Agree on Pickett, quick, strong body and can take a decent mark...been a big loss......Garlett in those conditions would have struggled....yep worth trying Murphy down forward more if we can get him back on the park.

Reply #18
The way Bolton keeps talking about Cripps as a warrior makes me a worrier. It's almost as though he reckons Cripps can take unlimited punishment. I hope it's only for show and not what he really thinks.

Cripps needs resting next week and then has the bye to rest as well......he is banged up and its not worth over playing him in a season that doesnt mean much now...

Reply #19
Why didn't we shift Thomas forward?
He at least has some class and smarts and our back 6 was holding up well anyhow, Lamb didn't fire a shot.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
Why didn't we shift Thomas forward?
He at least has some class and smarts and our back 6 was holding up well anyhow, Lamb didn't fire a shot.

I would have played Jones forward on Stewart who kept intercepting everything.......Harry was next to useless in those conditions and I would have taken him off....
Bolton doesnt react well enough to problem players IMO ...we needed to counter Stewart and create a problem for him....

Reply #21
Dow is showing all the signs of fast becoming a seriously good Midfielder.  The kid is tough and very hard at it, love how he moves. Never shys away from copping a hard hit and bounces straight back when he cops one. 

Looking forward to watching him and and young Zac for many years.

SPS has learnt how to do the hard stuff. Will also be great to watch him move once we are a better outfit and he has a bit of time and space to work in.

O’Brien out for Jack next week.  He looks like he needs some time at a lower level imo.

Reply #22
Also thought Weitering looked a lot more composed and confident tonight - I was pleased to see that and he started to look more like his old self. Plowman also a lot better this week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23
I thought Dow, Samo, Fisher, Charlie, and Cunningham (intermittently) were good tonight.  Weiters also showing signs of his return. Thank goodness. Great signs from the youngsters overall.

Please can we get completely fit mids into the team. Graham or otherwise. Don't know when Murphy and Kennedy are going to be in the mix but this has to be a priority. Crippa, Kruez and Ed cant hold up the youngsters forever.

Our young forwards missed Levi, and it looked like Wright was playing down the field quite a lot. This left a weakness that even an ordinary backline picked off. It was great to see Kerr slot a beauty from the boundary.

A couple of costly lapses aside, our backs were solid. Best game I've seen Lachie Plowman play. Oshea is a liability too often for mine.

If Menagola doesn't get a holiday I'll be pi#$ed. If Scott or Danger contaminate the process again I'll spew >:(
I'm so sick of the biases we've seen lately.

In All, not a bad performance on an uneven playing field. Can't wait to get some players back. Not until fully recovered though....please
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
Not a tragic result, but we're desperate for salary cap control and space within it to get the best we can

I think it's a badly flawed arrangement by the AFL, or by us, badly managed

I have a fundamental problem with reward for little return where the bottom teams are compelled to pay a level similar to those at the top

Yes, there's a lot more to do with it than that, but a solid review is warranted

Reply #25
Lost respect for Geelong tonight.
Their bully boy and flopping to the ground at every opportunity tactics were pathetic. They seemed to lose the plot when a team they thought they could physically and mentally push over easily, stood up to their rubbish. Their supporters are a bunch of country bumpkin sooks too, but what do you expect from a bunch who idolise a diving cheat like Selwood.

Reply #26
Pauly I have no doubt Crippa is one tough bull who can take it and will endure punishment week after week. We are not playing finals, why flog him? Give him a rest and preserve him I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
I would have played Jones forward on Stewart who kept intercepting everything.......Harry was next to useless in those conditions and I would have taken him off....
Bolton doesnt react well enough to problem players IMO ...we needed to counter Stewart and create a problem for him....
Robbing Peter to pay Paul though EB? I only watched abit of the last qtr but I thought I heard the commentators say Jones played a cracker. Is the correct?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
Pauly I have no doubt Crippa is one tough bull who can take it and will endure punishment week after week. We are not playing finals, why flog him? Give him a rest and preserve him I reckon.

I agree. But I wonder what Bolton thinks ?

Reply #29
Best thing about the game was improved form of youngish players I had penciled in to be part of the fabric of the team (who we all thought had stalled and gone backwards this year).  We all started to question our recruitment and development again, but these blokes finally started to show why they've been backed in -  

Plowman - back to his form of a year ago.  has been stinking it up a bit this season, but showed how good he is at halving or winning a tough contest.  He's not super quick or skilled, but he is a very good and dour defender, with solid skills.  Good to see him playing like that again.  Reliability is what we need from him, and is what I thought he had.  Keep playing like that Plow.

Weitering - took a few marks, linked up a few times, and kicked well.  Most importantly has seemed to have got past the sads and absolute lack of confidence that afflicted him all year (and some).  Time in the two's to regain form and confidence seems to work - who woulda thunkit?  Still has a lot of improvement in him, which will come when his confidence grows.

Samo - a lot more mongrel in his game this week.  He was very timid early in the season, but has been gradually building intensity and effort the last few weeks.  Maybe it is simply 2nd year blues for him.  It wouldn't have a name if it wasn't such a common problem. 

Of the babies still in nappies -

Dow showed how good he will be.  His best game by far, and his first game where I thought he deserves a game next week, based on actual impact this week (not just based on green shoots).  Not bad for a kid with 9 games to his name.  Seems to be getting fitter, and more used to the pace.  

Lochie O is a lot lighter and will take a while to come good.  Plenty to like about him, just needs to be developed.  Don't mind if it's in the 1's or 2's.

Harry is 2 years ahead of those blokes, but has also played less than 10 games.  Bit of a headless chook still, and needs to fill out more and use his size to his advantage more.  Needs to keep playing 1's now, even through form slumps.  Just needs to get more games, and a better understanding of what it takes to succeed in the 1's.  No easy outs for him by dropping him to the 2's just yet. 

Kerr is showing a little bit for a 2 game KPF.  He might be ok, he might not.

Concerns -

Cunningham should be better, and for me is the bloke who would make a huge difference to the team if he stepped up.  We are crying out for more midfield depth, and he's got the tools, just can't get involved enough.  I'd be hesitant to drop him after a poor first game back, he needs to be challenged to make up for it.  His 3rd season on the list - and has a contract till the end of 2019.  He has enough time to continue developing, but time is starting to run out...