Skip to main content
Topic: Scotto To Play On If Body Permits (Read 6821 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Scotto To Play On If Body Permits

Reply #15
@sheik... Who? It's not like we have such depth that guys are knocking the door down to get his spot.

It's not a case of who our depth is, he doesn't have that much more to offer us.

Based on the fact that we are about to enter a rebuild phase, we are better off making space on the list for a good young guy and get some games into him as soon as we can.

Keeping Scotland (and Waite for that matter) is not going to help us in the long-term.

So leaving Scotland means keeping a ROK or a pick in the 100's.

Here's another year Scotto.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #16
@sheik... Who? It's not like we have such depth that guys are knocking the door down to get his spot.

It's not a case of who our depth is, he doesn't have that much more to offer us.

Based on the fact that we are about to enter a rebuild phase, we are better off making space on the list for a good young guy and get some games into him as soon as we can.

Keeping Scotland (and Waite for that matter) is not going to help us in the long-term.

No brainer i would have thought.

So leaving Scotland means keeping a ROK or a pick in the 100's.

Here's another year Scotto.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17
1 more year I reckon, I think there will be enough changes to the list this year without Scotto retiring. He will at least provide good depth and a good example to our younger players.

If I was coach I would get him to train along side any new mids we draft and suggest he say to them something like "I'm only here for the money, I don't really want to play any senior games, so it's up to you to take my spot off me! I'll help you train your backside off so you can earn/take my place."

I would love to see him captain the Bullants and have a role as a development coach after he retires.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
If his body is up to another preseason, especially as we HAVE to improve out strength and fitness, then fair enough, he will deserve another season. That is a decision that he and Malthouse have to come to terms with and preferably soon.
He has an excellent pickup, one of the few long term successes of the Pagan Era.

If he retires and we have a clean out, the most probable outcome for our list, then we have to consider how many picks we will be getting and how many rounds that will take. We could be changing over 10 players, a huge renewal of our list. Some we will be able to trade on, but we will probably be looking for picks around the 80 - 110 mark (I can't see any other clubs other than Melbourne really clearing the decks). Flicking Scotland for pick 95 is very risky, especially when Scotland does have more to offer.
He has a week or 2 to make up his mind, with or without Malthouse. It will not be an easy choice no matter what happens. However, how he performs could tell us the answer. if he is only ordinary, then Malthouse may pull the plug. If he is decent, he may get himself the extra year.
Now that the Fire department have basically told Scotland that he isn't going there, a possible future for him is as permanent captain for the Northern Blues. One of the things we have packed badly this year is continuity and experience at VFL level. Having someone to show them how hard you have to work would be a decent idea. That could also lead him towards the coaching side of things, something he must also consider.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
Not playing today.

If we don't get into finals, we may have seen him play his last game in navy blue!