Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 17917 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #105
Doesn't matter who we pick, unless there is a real "want", it'll be like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I've half given up for now. We'll see some great performances, then when we are pumped the most we'll see disappointment. We might even make the 8 (may well not either) but that's the very best we'll do for years until the culture improves, attitudes change and we turn up motivated to play for the jumper win in, week out. Who we put out on the park will mean nothing until then.
We are no chance to make the Jim.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #106
My son is 18 and has been a member ever since he was 2 weeks old but last night he said, "Dad, I have given up and I've transferred to F1 permanently."
He now has no interest in footy and doesn't want to be a member anymore.
As his old man I feel gutted but don't blame him, ever since he can remember we have been a basket case.

Does the Club ever read our comments on here? Do they realise and understand the effect of their heartless performances have?
Reading the comment on here the common theme is lack of heart, desire, mongrel and playing for the pay cheque.

Watching footage of the 80's and 90's all Carlton players had two feet to choose from to kick with and ALL played and put their head over the ball.
Watching our players run around now it's like watching U18's play, flashes of brilliance but sooo many unforced errors and zero game plan.

Yep. My daughter is 19 and has no interest in football. Loved Favola and Judd when she was young but never saw many wins. A life long support lost for ever, and as a father something we could bonded over and talked about after the game.

Reply #107
I had to stay up and watch the Duke's funeral, it's one of those things you see rarely in a lifetime.

Watching the military parade, made me realise where Carlton fit in relative to others, the hours of standing to attention in full kit as the band plays Nimrod.

Would we be the ones likely to be fainting? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
It was another disappointing effort. Do we practice kicking the ball? We miss targets, we miss shots on goal, our kicks lack penetration and distance, we take the wrong option and we don't kick to the advantage of our team mates. The teaming and skills of the Port players far exceeded those of our own players. Pittonet knocks the ball over the back, Gibbons runs onto the ball and into an empty F50, but what is the plan. Does he kick it to Harry, does he go all the way or does someone run into the F50 and takes the ball short. He kicks to the top of the square, 20 meters from Harry who is now behind two Port players and the ball then sweeps down the other end. There is no coherence in the Carlton play. Every play seems to be a discrete action where the ball carrier makes a decision and if the ball gets to the next Carlton player, that player then makes a decision that may or may not have any relevance to the previous decision. We don't get a consistent chain of play. Everything is reactive whether we have the ball or not. Saad is a perfect example of this. We get it to him, but what is the next play. Do the players down the ground know what he is going to do, are team mates running beside him to draw fire and give him options. What is the plan?
In Teague's press conference he referred to players not executing under pressure. I think he is wrong. I think the problem is not doing the simple things well. Missing goals from 25 meters dead in front. It doesn't matter if it is Harry, Cripps or Casboult, supporters do not have the confidence in the capability of the players to kick the easy goal. Cripps kicks that goal in the second quarter and it is a different game. We stop butchering the ball and it is a different game.
People seem to be ranting about defence but I think it is our forwards which are the problem. We do not kick enough goals. Murphy, Casboult, Gibbons, Silvagni, Foggerty, Cuninngham, Kennedy have never kicked five goals in a match for Carlton, it has also been a long time since Betts has done it and Harry has done it once. Having Charlie in the side would make a difference. When the forwards are kicking goals, the backline functions a lot better because your opponents have to defend and cannot be as free wheeling in their attacks.
Fix our goal kicking, fix our disposal and develop more team cohesion and things will improve. Also instead of talking about how important Carlton Members are to the team, actually show it by putting in better efforts than what was dished up last night.

Absolutely spot on!

Reply #109
Watched the game, some points below:
- Surely Weiters will miss, he was dead set knocked out how he went back out to play is beyond me. He was better after being knocked out though.
- Jones was not allowed to pick marks off
- Saad can't move and must be sore as hell.
- Williams hasn't impressed me one iota
- Can we please get a fwd line coach/consultant (eg a Dunstall, a Dermie, a Rocca) who can work with our fwd line. Sack Bruce now and employ a replacement. That moment in the 2nd when Gibbo was streaming through HFF and H decides to lead back towards goal. FFS lead to the ball carrier.
- The gap between Docs best and worst is huge
- Im afraid Willo is a good VFL player but does SFA at AFL level. I like him but he isn't up to it.
- Newnes also did SFA apart from the late goal
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #110
We don't spread anywhere near enough, therefore we don't present options and if they're not forthcoming, you're on a wing and a prayer.  Screams confidence, or lack of it, both in the accuracy of the incoming kick or the ability of the player to cover the ground and protect that space.

Sky high kicks are bloody useless without confidence in the target or a body of teamwork to contest when the ball comes to ground and determine the next passage through traffic.  Low and fast passes are fine if, and only if, it is to an encouraged lead, OR a backline in such disarray with no time to react and prevent an obvious score.

Our close in play seems adequate enough, our chase lamentable and the dam wall fractures once more.

Reply #111
We are no chance to make the Jim.
Depends which Carlton turns up week to week. We can't stay motivated for more than two weeks in a row though.

Reply #112
Depends which Carlton turns up week to week. We can't stay motivated for more than two weeks in a row though.
And that's why. Mathematically sure, but our roller coaster ride approach to seasons will mean we will miss. Nothing surer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #113
Watched the game, some points below:
- Surely Weiters will miss, he was dead set knocked out how he went back out to play is beyond me. He was better after being knocked out though.
- Jones was not allowed to pick marks off
- Saad can't move and must be sore as hell.
- Williams hasn't impressed me one iota
- Can we please get a fwd line coach/consultant (eg a Dunstall, a Dermie, a Rocca) who can work with our fwd line. Sack Bruce now and employ a replacement. That moment in the 2nd when Gibbo was streaming through HFF and H decides to lead back towards goal. FFS lead to the ball carrier.
- The gap between Docs best and worst is huge
- Im afraid Willo is a good VFL player but does SFA at AFL level. I like him but he isn't up to it.
- Newnes also did SFA apart from the late goal

- Weiters should miss. I'm sure they will cite 'delayed concussion'
- They played Jones well, stopped him from doing what he wanted to do. Kudos to Port coaches/players.
-  Saad wouldn't be playing if we had someone worthy of taking his spot. We are better off playing an injured saad, than a fully fit LOB
- Williams put in a couple of good efforts/tackles that shows why we picked him up. Good user of the ball too. Going ok compared to some.
- FWD line lacks continuity. Every week we have a few players in/out through injuries/form and they are simply not settled. We need better direction, sure, but we also need some stability. No more injuries please!
- Doc had a bit of a nightmare game, but he was still out there putting his head over the ball and doing doc things. It hurts that his mistakes happen on the last line and cost us goals, but he was still a solid player if not for that.
- Willo is someone i've been on the back of for a while now. Every man and his dog keeps telling me how good he is, all i see is Paul Bower V2.0. Does stupid stuff too often. Even his attack on the ball seems to be down a bit, and that was his thing. If Newman and/or Marchbank were fit, Willo would be in the 2's.
- Newnes cops a lot of criticism and i'm not sure why. Yes, i've been his #1 fan, but lets look at the numbers between him and someone playing basically the same role as him, Kennedy.

Stat - Newnes - Kennedy
Disposals  - 16 - 12
DE% - 81.3 - 50
Tackles - 3 - 1
Clearances - 1 - 1
Scores - 1.1 - 0.0
Score involvement - 6 - 1
I50's - 2 - 2
Clangers 1 - 3
Pressure acts - 12 - 11
Turnovers - 3 - 3
TOG% - 76 - 71

So, playing similar time, similar role. Newnes outperformed Kennedy in basically ever area. Yet Newnes gets chastised and Kennedy gets away with a subpar performance.

Newnes isn't flashy. But he does his job. Most of what he does goes unnoticed. Thats his style. He chases, he puts his body on the line and he gets the most out of his body/ability. Newnes is not the problem.

Reply #114
The next few weeks will be very difficult. Could be season ending. Not an easy game before us for a little while.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #115
The quiet achiever in our team is Michael gibbons.  Keeps finding ways to impact contests he shouldn't and somehow can end up against 3 in a contest and gets to the ball and somehow gets it out.

No enough said about what he does.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #116
Personally i don't see what all 'the sky is falling' stuff is about.

We got beaten by a better side and yes, we played poorly.

I'm surprised people expected anything else.

We are on a rollercoaster ride. We will have our ups and downs. Yes its annoying and yes we'd all hope they didn't happen, but this is reality and you MUST expect that from time to time.

I'm not happy about it, i'm not ignoring it, i'm just suggesting that even the top sides terrible days.

Last time it happened (Collingwood) we bounced back. The same might occur this week. Although Brisbane will be a tougher opponent than Freo was (after Collingwood), we will put in a better effort and with a bit of luck get back on the winners list. If nothing else, we have Bombers the week after.

Looking at our injury list, IMO there was no way we were going to win.
As our injury list starts to grow smaller, our wins column should grow larger. We've had a terrible run over the past few years and the start of this year has been no different. Once we start getting the like of Fisher, Martin, SOJ and hopefully Charlie back, we'll look a million bucks!

Ride out the bumps, there is bound to be a few along the way......and there will be more this year. Expect them and you will not be so outraged when they occur.

Reply #117
- Weiters should miss. I'm sure they will cite 'delayed concussion'
- They played Jones well, stopped him from doing what he wanted to do. Kudos to Port coaches/players.
-  Saad wouldn't be playing if we had someone worthy of taking his spot. We are better off playing an injured saad, than a fully fit LOB
- Williams put in a couple of good efforts/tackles that shows why we picked him up. Good user of the ball too. Going ok compared to some.
- FWD line lacks continuity. Every week we have a few players in/out through injuries/form and they are simply not settled. We need better direction, sure, but we also need some stability. No more injuries please!
- Doc had a bit of a nightmare game, but he was still out there putting his head over the ball and doing doc things. It hurts that his mistakes happen on the last line and cost us goals, but he was still a solid player if not for that.
- Willo is someone i've been on the back of for a while now. Every man and his dog keeps telling me how good he is, all i see is Paul Bower V2.0. Does stupid stuff too often. Even his attack on the ball seems to be down a bit, and that was his thing. If Newman and/or Marchbank were fit, Willo would be in the 2's.
- Newnes cops a lot of criticism and i'm not sure why. Yes, i've been his #1 fan, but lets look at the numbers between him and someone playing basically the same role as him, Kennedy.

Stat - Newnes - Kennedy
Disposals  - 16 - 12
DE% - 81.3 - 50
Tackles - 3 - 1
Clearances - 1 - 1
Scores - 1.1 - 0.0
Score involvement - 6 - 1
I50's - 2 - 2
Clangers 1 - 3
Pressure acts - 12 - 11
Turnovers - 3 - 3
TOG% - 76 - 71

So, playing similar time, similar role. Newnes outperformed Kennedy in basically ever area. Yet Newnes gets chastised and Kennedy gets away with a subpar performance.

Newnes isn't flashy. But he does his job. Most of what he does goes unnoticed. Thats his style. He chases, he puts his body on the line and he gets the most out of his body/ability. Newnes is not the problem.

A role that Kennedy is entirely unfamiliar with - another dumb decision by Teague & co.

He's an inside mid and/or a 3rd/4th tall.

Not an outside feeder.....

An unfair comparison on many levels.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
A role that Kennedy is entirely unfamiliar with - another dumb decision by Teague & co.

He's an inside mid and/or a 3rd/4th tall.

Not an outside feeder.....

An unfair comparison on many levels.

If he is an inside mid, why didn't he get more clearances?
If he is a 3rd/4th forward, why didn't he impact the scoreboard more?
Both had similar opportunities in both areas.

Newnes equaled or beat him on both fronts.....and in the other areas like pressure, tackles etc.

No player is identical to another, so comparisons will always favour one or the other depending on the area. Newnes beat him on every stat.....except clangers....so why is it unfair?

Reply #119
@kruddler.. Time to time?. Been like waiting for Godot.
Nothing has changed from last season, the club sold the dream over the summer but its more of the same, same players, same mistakes, same results. Even our two wins have been less than impressive vs poor teams.
Think it's natural the natives will be restless and want answers.