Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 17920 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #120
I was at the game again last night.

We were never really in the hunt, and Port took their foot off the gas in the last quarter because they had nothing to worry about.  28 points might as well have been 58....

Forget the skill errors, the obvious lack of cohesion when we are moving forward with the ball, three big blokes in the forward line flying against one another, butchered delivery into the forward line, and numerous other sins  - that stuff can be worked on.

But the biggest disappointment, and most distressing, was the ABSOLUTE LACK OF HEART, EFFORT AND PASSION THROWN UP BY SO MANY IN NAVY BLUE.

Examples :

- Pittonet has Lycett pinning him to the ground for at least 30 seconds, and NO ONE, NOT ONE thought about helping him
- Tackling!  Newnes effort on Amon, and subsequent lack of chasing effort, was only one example.  Employ someone from Melbourne Storm FFS and teach them how to do it.
- Chasing - on at least 5 occasions I can remember last night, the effort to chase, corral and harrass was abysmal (have a look at Georgiades goal in the 2nd quarter - OMG SPS....).  I have seen Auskickers chase harder than some of those efforts last night.
- Crippa, please stop trying to do it all on your own.  You end up looking stupid, and the others around you have no idea what you are doing (I don't doubt his heart, but he needs to become a leader!).  And go and get a bunch of balls and practice goal kicking, and don't stop until you are getting 9 out of 10.

I don't care so much about possessions, give me heart and effort any day.  Put the footage of the weak-hearted efforts on the big screen in the Training Room and rip into them.  The lot of them are sitting on big fat salaries, and they dish up that crap.  Stuff the modern 'there, there' psychology - tear strips off them.

I am so tired of 'we just weren't good enoughs' and 'it was only 4 goals'.  We were plain and simple embarrassed last night, and I saw far too many examples of blokes who looked like they didn't care all that much.

If that doesn't turn around and soon, 2021 and beyond is looking bleak.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #121
@kruddler.. Time to time?. Been like waiting for Godot.
Nothing has changed from last season, the club sold the dream over the summer but its more of the same, same players, same mistakes, same results. Even our two wins have been less than impressive vs poor teams.
Think it's natural the natives will be restless and want answers.

Not if mediocrity is your goal.  We're not there yet so give it time.   ::)

Reply #122
I was at the game again last night.

We were never really in the hunt, and Port took their foot off the gas in the last quarter because they had nothing to worry about.  28 points might as well have been 58....

Forget the skill errors, the obvious lack of cohesion when we are moving forward with the ball, three big blokes in the forward line flying against one another, butchered delivery into the forward line, and numerous other sins  - that stuff can be worked on.

But the biggest disappointment, and most distressing, was the ABSOLUTE LACK OF HEART, EFFORT AND PASSION THROWN UP BY SO MANY IN NAVY BLUE.

Examples :

- Pittonet has Lycett pinning him to the ground for at least 30 seconds, and NO ONE, NOT ONE thought about helping him
- Tackling!  Newnes effort on Amon, and subsequent lack of chasing effort, was only one example.  Employ someone from Melbourne Storm FFS and teach them how to do it.
- Chasing - on at least 5 occasions I can remember last night, the effort to chase, corral and harrass was abysmal (have a look at Georgiades goal in the 2nd quarter - OMG SPS....).  I have seen Auskickers chase harder than some of those efforts last night.
- Crippa, please stop trying to do it all on your own.  You end up looking stupid, and the others around you have no idea what you are doing (I don't doubt his heart, but he needs to become a leader!).  And go and get a bunch of balls and practice goal kicking, and don't stop until you are getting 9 out of 10.

I don't care so much about possessions, give me heart and effort any day.  Put the footage of the weak-hearted efforts on the big screen in the Training Room and rip into them.  The lot of them are sitting on big fat salaries, and they dish up that crap.  Stuff the modern 'there, there' psychology - tear strips off them.

I am so tired of 'we just weren't good enoughs' and 'it was only 4 goals'.  We were plain and simple embarrassed last night, and I saw far too many examples of blokes who looked like they didn't care all that much.

If that doesn't turn around and soon, 2021 and beyond is looking bleak.

Solid post. I think it was Jordan Lewis that showed a clip of Levi and Gov standing around like stale bottles of piss in the PA fwd line. Going to the wrong spots, not looking for a man, just being totally useless. Pretty sure there was a goal scored.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #123
If he is an inside mid, why didn't he get more clearances?
If he is a 3rd/4th forward, why didn't he impact the scoreboard more?
Both had similar opportunities in both areas.

Newnes equaled or beat him on both fronts.....and in the other areas like pressure, tackles etc.

No player is identical to another, so comparisons will always favour one or the other depending on the area. Newnes beat him on every stat.....except clangers....so why is it unfair?

Because he wasn't played in position!

Duh.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #124
I'd like to express my deepest gratitude to the Carlton Football to subjecting it's supporters to another week of dismemberment by the likes of oxygen theives like Kane Corn...gag... Retch.   Thanks Carlton,  after nearly 25 years of this it's not getting easier to take.  We've had a f***ing enough.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #125
As many have said, the malaise of mediocrity has consumed everyone and everything at CFC.

From Teague's unwise words late last week to the 2s blowing  a 4 or 5 goal 3-4 time lead....to many saying a 28 point loss to Port isn't so bad.

Why will anything change?

John Barker, to use but one example, has been with the Club since 2011. A decade. And a decade of misery (finals in 2013?)

He was a key forward, or arguably the 3rd tall at the Dawks. Talented player no question.

In 2020, he was anointed the  "midfield and stoppages coach. "

Why?

What bunch of clowns would make a former key forward a midfield and stoppage coach?

Those clowns should be removed immediately - it reeks of finding a spot for a mate in my opinion.

That's not a shot at Barker personally per se, but wtf.

No doubt there are many other examples of similar lunacy.

And we wonder why we struggle to tread water, let alone evolve back into a powerhouse....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #126
As many have said, the malaise of mediocrity has consumed everyone and everything at CFC.

From Teague's unwise words late last week to the 2s blowing  a 4 or 5 goal 3-4 time lead....to many saying a 28 point loss to Port isn't so bad.

Why will anything change?

John Barker, to use but one example, has been with the Club since 2011. A decade. And a decade of misery (finals in 2013?)

He was a key forward, or arguably the 3rd tall at the Dawks. Talented player no question.

In 2020, he was anointed the  "midfield and stoppages coach. "

Why?

What bunch of clowns would make a former key forward a midfield and stoppage coach?

Those clowns should be removed immediately - it reeks of finding a spot for a mate in my opinion.

That's not a shot at Barker personally per se, but wtf.

No doubt there are many other examples of similar lunacy.

And we wonder why we struggle to tread water, let alone evolve back into a powerhouse....
Barker should have been on moved years ago. We need some fresh ideas in the midfield and a better tactician.
Barker is part of a losing culture that we need to move on from.

Reply #127
Wait, there may be hope for us after all.

A few years away mind you.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #128
Barker should have been on moved years ago. We need some fresh ideas in the midfield and a better tactician.
Barker is part of a losing culture that we need to move on from.
Yes, I don't understand.

It's not about being right or wrong, it's just that there are very few if any stones left to turn!

We cut Simmo yet kept Barker, Levi and sMurph. I sort of understand why we kept sMurph, and we are lucky we kept Levi, but sooner or later you need a clean sweep!

Losing can be contagious.

Further I worry the BB era has broken Cripps, sure he was a warrior, but now he's a broken arrow! That failing mindset from a season or two back, those private issues, loom large!

Have we a bunch of Pavlov's Dogs, ................... trained to lose at the first sign of stress?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
9.14 feck me! I was out so I only watched bits and pieces of the 1st and 2nd qtr on my phone. All I saw was us bust a boiler to get in I50 only to  kick a behind and they went I50 and kicked a goal. Nothings changed in that regard Id say.

Easily too.  They just seemed to kick them at will.  At one stage we were leading the inside 50s by a large margin, but they were up by 4 goals.  every time they went past the half way line, they looked a certainty to score - so much confidence and so much skill

Reply #130
In 33 games under Teague we have lost by over 5 goals only twice, one a regular "cue in the rack round" 22 game. If we were actually hungry and properly motivated on a regular basis we'd actually do pretty well. Makes it more frustrating.

Reply #131
Koutas son kicked 11 goals playing for his local footy club. Father son mid season draft I wouldn’t be mad haha   ;) maybe if we stopped stuffing up sitters infront of the goals we might win these games
L

Reply #132
We seem to have a distinct desire NOT to employ former senior coaches to assist our 'apprentice' coach, just in case they start looking over their shoulder!! 
Goodwin was told that Alan Richardson would be sitting in the box with him, then he was told that 'the forgotten man' (too old, don't touch him) Mark Williams would come in to improve their kicking and toughen them up around the ball. Melbourne were as soft as us............now look at them!!
Horse Longmire was happy to take on board the intel that Don Pike could provide, while Stewie Dew saw value is getting the football brain of Rhyce  Shaw onto his team!!
We keep persisting with Barker, Bruce, Amos and Stanton!!
Give Ross Lyon a 9 month contract to come in and help Teague tell a few players a few home truths (I'm sure Choco does!!)  Lyon has enough to do and seems comfortable 'out of the cut and thrust of coaching', but would probably enjoy a bit of 'club land' interaction. 
For Teague, it may very well prolong his coaching career rather than shorten it!!!

Reply #133
Koutas son kicked 11 goals playing for his local footy club. Father son mid season draft I wouldn’t be mad haha   ;) maybe if we stopped stuffing up sitters infront of the goals we might win these games

Who Lukas or Jamie???

Reply #134
In 33 games under Teague we have lost by over 5 goals only twice, one a regular "cue in the rack round" 22 game. If we were actually hungry and properly motivated on a regular basis we'd actually do pretty well. Makes it more frustrating.

But is that something to write home about Jim given we got a fair few junk goals in games against sides who'd already done their work and established their lead?  Time for some real home truths.  Let's see the Brisbane game unfold.