Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 5159 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
I understand the odd bit of negativity and dread. We've been conditioned over a couple of decades.
Guilty your honor.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
LOB's kicking was what impressed me again yesterday but yes Cerra was elite yesterday.

I can't recall Lochie missing a target yesterday but Footywire has his disposal efficiency at 47%  :o

Cerra's pinpoint kicks inside 50 were outstanding but our field kicking generally was very good.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
Cerra’s also a lot harder than I expected
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #63
My ears pricked up when I heard that as I made the comment in the in game thread that Owies and Durdin owed us a bit given their last few weeks. Bu there you go, they are doing stuff that is highly rated internally but not seen as "sexy" by people like me.
I wouldn't punish yourself, it's not seen at all by many especially those watch TV because 95% of that stuff happens before the camera pans to the players.

Worse still a lot of the media special comments people like King only show the negatives when they want to justify their existence by sledging someone like Owies or Durdin as "not good enough!"

I don't go the Docklands, but at "The G" this season the deep running of Durdin, Owies, LoB and Setterfield has been a feature most won't even notice! It's having a massive positive impact and a major reason why the midfield and KPP's are in a better place than in previous years. Plus guys like Doc and Saad know players have their back if it gets turned over, more than once I've seen Owies or LoB get back and cover Doc or Saad's opponent when they are caught out up the field.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
I wouldn't punish yourself, it's not seen at all by many especially those watch TV because 95% of that stuff happens before the camera pans to the players.

Worse still a lot of the media special comments people like King only show the negatives when they want to justify their existence by sledging someone like Owies or Durdin as "not good enough!"

I don't go the Docklands, but at "The G" this season the deep running of Durdin, Owies, LoB and Setterfield has been a feature most won't even notice! It's having a massive positive impact and a major reason why the midfield and KPP's are in a better place than in previous years. Plus guys like Doc and Saad know players have their back if it gets turned over, more than once I've seen Owies or LoB get back and cover Doc or Saad's opponent when they are caught out up the field.
I have noted Durds popping up regularly in defence to help out (Owies to a lesser extent), that is workrate for sure which I am not questioning. As small fwd, I (the layman) typically measure their output in goals and these two have been "quiet" on that front. The point is, what they do in fact produce is highly rated within (ie its not just about goals)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #65
The point is, what they do in fact produce is highly rated within (ie its not just about goals)
It's never about goals outside of the public commentary, it's always about the other stuff.

Nthmond have a team full of blokes like this surrounding a few select KPFs, in fact less KPF's than us, yet it is what has delivered them multiple flags. Fans concentrate on Dusty, Cotchin, Lynch and Riewoldt, but it's the stuff that happens around them that lets them go to work! It's very analogous to fans being obsessed with hit outs, when in fact the hit out matters very little if the other 2nd or 3rd effort stuff is in place, stuff nobody attributes, nobody notices(except coaches) or ever records!

Cripps can't do what he does this season if he hasn't got guys like Kennedy, Walsh and Hewett sacrificing around him, because one contest and he's done and that contest in isolation means nothing. I was worried when we lost Pitto we'd lose the 2nd or 3rd efforts in and around the ruck, but TDK and especially SoJ have picked up right where Pitto left off. It's A-Grade stoppage coaching by SpecialK and whoever else is involved, given the way it seems to be happening I suspect Voss has a massive say and needs some genuine credit.

btw., Did you like the way Cripps gave Saad some direction in live play about where to run to receive the handball? It shows Cripps is in a supreme space at the moment, his level of awareness is 2nd to none, he had eyes on two approaching opponents and still could direct Saad into the space he was about to create! Further, I suspect if the opponents took Cripps direction and went to Saad, Cripps would have ducked inboard and went on his merry way, it was magnificent football.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Like most, was hoping for something akin to an 80 point+ win, especially after that third quarter. The lead at 3/4 time should've been even more with a few missed shots and a couple of posters.

But they looked genuinely out of puff in that last quarter so maybe that style of game is something that is very hard to maintain over 4 quarters?

So many highlights:

1. The usual stuff from the usual suspects...Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Walsh, Docherty. And to think we have to squeeze Hewett back in there.
2. Another good game IMO from Fisher. His last 3 weeks have been much better and his disposal is a real weapon.
3. Charlie Curnow was magnificent and opposition coaches would be scratching their heads now about how best to match up on him. The fact that him and Harry are so much different in their games is probably what sets them apart from other key forward combinations.
4. Some solid defensive stuff again from Young this week, albeit not really A-Grade opposition.
5. Silvagni just keeps on going and is such a key player for us. Glad to see him hit the scoreboard.

Not so good?:

1. He salvaged his game late but thought Newman was pretty untidy again early.
2. O'Brien did some good things but was pretty weak in the contest on more than one occasion.
3. I was surprised that Carroll appeared to spend the whole first 1/4 on the bench? I had to check the teams to make sure he wasn't a late withdrawal. Followed it up with 13 possessions in the 2nd/3rd quarters and looks comfortable at this level.
4. Martin injured again. His soft tissue injuries over a long period of time are a worry and we just might never really get to see what he can produce consistently.

Reply #67
Forgot to mention Cottrell....thought he did some really good stuff when he came on after half time.

Reply #68
Forgot to mention Cottrell....thought he did some really good stuff when he came on after half time.
Agreed. He works hard and knows his limitations. If there's a short pass on in the clear he takes it and usually hits it. If it's risky he goes long.

Reply #69
Got to my second game yesterday. I was a lot happier this week than I was with the Port Adelaide game. As I said, I would like us to get a ten goal win, but being up eleven goals at three quarter time meant I could relax throughout the last quarter. I caught up with some friends and it felt a lot like the good old days where Carlton won by ten goals and we were disappointed we didn't win by fifteen. I am not sure I trust us yet but I am getting there.
It is clear to me that our first gear is as good if not better than everyone else's however our next gears aren't as good. On the other hand I think we play better and stay in games better this year when we are struggling. So what I think I am saying is that our best and worst is better this season than previous season, but we need to improve our performance and take our chances better when the game is in that middling period.
I am not sure our forwards are in full sync yet. There are a lot of opportunities that go begging in our forward line. I thought Martin, Owies, O'Brien and Fisher all missed shots early, the last kick often missed the target and we don't have enough players at the feet of Charlie and Harry  to cause real damage.
I thought that O'Brien did a lot of good defensive running this week, Cottrell did well playing the Martin role when he came on, De Konning was good in the ruck, Lewis was very good down back, Saad, Williams and Docherty all gave us run, it will good to get Marchbank and Stocker into the team. It is amazing the impact having a fit Cripps and Curnow has on the side. Our tackling is better, stronger and hurting. I actual heard the whack when Cripps bumped the Adelaide guy before dishing it off to Silvagni. It is also good not having the administration undermining the Coach this season

Reply #70
It is also good not having the administration undermining the Coach this season

Admins only undermine when the coach is clueless.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71
Admins only undermine when the coach is clueless.
Alistair Clarkson, David Parkin, Brett Ratten, Alex Jesaulenko and a support cast of thousands say hello!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
MRO- Cripps tackle assessed-.no action taken.

Reply #74
Pretty hard to ping him for a football action.  Id like to know if the bloke that punched Newman in the face is in the gun.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson