Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #135
Wet weather would've been perfect for Jack who loves it.
The wet doesn't suit TDK who wants to run and jump about and already struggles to hold his marks.
Can't see our MC just picking Pittonet though (even though i think for this week, with wet weather, it'd be the right thing to do IMO).
Agree...it seems a night to suit jack and while you and I would pick him if fit I dont see the MC doing same and would expect as I said both Pittonet and TDK lining up in similar fashion as we have seen before with Pitto doing the heavy lifting early and TDK being preferred later.

Reply #136
Thought the same EB.....from all reports JSOS probably needs another week with that knee but if we were able to win on Friday night, I reckon he'd be in the frame for the following week.

Reply #137
The official injury update from the club on the 25th August ruled SIlvagni out for the first final, so his selection / non selection is a moot point IMO. The club is clearly moving forward with the Pittonet / De Koning combo, and I can't see the MC giving Silvagni a ruck gig if the first two are available, not even in the rain.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1414902/injury-update-jack-silvagni

Reply #138
The official injury update from the club on the 25th August ruled SIlvagni out for the first final, so his selection / non selection is a moot point IMO. The club is clearly moving forward with the Pittonet / De Koning combo, and I can't see the MC giving Silvagni a ruck gig if the first two are available, not even in the rain.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1414902/injury-update-jack-silvagni

Clearly moving forward with pittonet and De Koning combo??

Did they both play last game?

Reply #139
If our mids are switched on and take on the challenge our ruck issues won’t be a serious problem. I think at their best Geelong didn’t worry about the ruck abilities of their players. They would target their opposition mids and be happy to be second to the ball. I just hope the mids are going to turn on the heat. We have enough talent in this area. Especially if Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hollands are rested enough and ready to go. Hewett and Kennedy can give us enough strength with bigger bodies and consistent efforts while the previous four give us drive out of the clearances. Which is where this game should be won. Harry better play with some smarts. His best and worst games are way too far apart. He could potentially be our weakest link. Most dangerous forward but a problem if he isn’t doing the team needed role. I still can’t see us losing this. If we do, then I will be totally p#ssed. If we are a genuine threat this should be 20 to 30 points in our favour.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #140
Clearly moving forward with pittonet and De Koning combo??

Did they both play last game?

We won 4 in a row with Pitto and the King and dropped the game when we left Pitto out - not that Pitto’s absence cost us the game.

I don’t think that our MC is wedded to any particular combination but they know that going with two fair dinkum rucks works … with the right supporting cast and structures.

I expect us to go with Pitto and the King but, given the expected conditions, I won’t be too surprised if Pitto is an emergency.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
Cant believe we are still talking about this whilst Jack is injured.

For mine, the question isnt about whether or not we play pitto and/or de koning, its whether or not we play the two of them with harry.

Why is Jack being discussed when he is injured and not even in line for selection?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #142
Assuming all of Cripps, Doc, Pittonet and Motlop come back in.....that's 4 reasonably unlucky ones to miss out this week....and possibly one more if Kennedy was to be selected too?

IMHO....Fogarty, Durdin or Fisher, Marchbank (with Dow the sub)....and one other....wouldn't want to be sitting on the MC this week.

Reply #143
Assuming all of Cripps, Doc, Pittonet and Motlop come back in.....that's 4 reasonably unlucky ones to miss out this week....and possibly one more if Kennedy was to be selected too?

IMHO....Fogarty, Durdin or Fisher, Marchbank (with Dow the sub)....and one other....wouldn't want to be sitting on the MC this week.

Unfortunate for the blokes who miss out but how good is it to have genuine competition for spots in the 22?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144
One thing has me uneasy more then any for this final and its how quiet Sydney is in the media and how our club and individual players are front and centre in the spotlight.

Our history in this situation with this group has never ended well when we are talked up this much.

Geez i hope im wrong.

Reply #145
One thing has me uneasy more then any for this final and its how quiet Sydney is in the media and how our club and individual players are front and centre in the spotlight.

Our history in this situation with this group has never ended well when we are talked up this much.

Geez i hope im wrong.
Agree. I would have preferred a much lower profile. Keep getting the feeling that Sydney may provide a very nasty surprise, much to the glee of the AFL media.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #146

Geez i hope im wrong.

Sydney players rarely feature in the media - apart from Buddy.  There is one article about Gulden though - he grew up supporting the mighty Blues.

I've been struck by how the build up to the first lot of finals has been pretty low key across the board.   The Pies are getting more coverage than the other finalists, but that's usually the way it is.

Reply #147
Shawny....I guess the fact that Sydney are perennial finalists, and we're playing our first finals match in a decade, was always going to mean the focus was on us. I'd like to think that someone like Voss, who's been there and done it on the biggest stage as a player, would be the perfect bloke to keep them focused this week.

Reply #148
Shawny....I guess the fact that Sydney are perennial finalists, and we're playing our first finals match in a decade, was always going to mean the focus was on us. I'd like to think that someone like Voss, who's been there and done it on the biggest stage as a player, would be the perfect bloke to keep them focused this week.

Yep
It would only becomes a problem if the players get caught up with the hype and go into the game with anything less than a full focus.

Reply #149

Geez i hope im wrong.
Its all part of the "growing up" process. Being the BIG club we are, it's always going to mean attention is on us from all quarters. As Cripps said in his presser, they boys are used to playing in front of big crowds because of our larger supporter base and the well established rivalries. I think that the club has done a power of work in the "mind" space and so I think we will be ready to go. It will be a high pressure game, the GWS game aside we have played high pressure elimination finals for several weeks. It will come down to selection and execution of the plan.

If you ask me, the pressure and media attention is ALL on the Filth. Its their flag to lose.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time