Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9931 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #150
Swans dont deserve any press and are just making up the numbers imho...fell into the eight thanks to the Crows being cheated out of a win and should be planning their holidays for the week after.

Reply #151
Swans dont deserve any press and are just making up the numbers imho...fell into the eight thanks to the Crows being cheated out of a win and should be planning their holidays for the week after.

Geez EB i wish i shared your confidence mate. I do agree with you that our season has been far better then the swans but finals are a different beast and just hoping like hell we can settle quickly and get a buffer early.

A loss as i said earlier will be a fail mark to the season as far as im concerned - maybe that why im so nervous cause everything hinges off this game from my perspective.

Reply #152
Our biggest threat is our match committee and their selections.

Reply #153
Our biggest threat is our match committee and their selections.

They have been responsible for more losses than any 1 team over the past 10 years......and daylight is 2nd.

Reply #155
The noise coming out of the club is they are expecting a tough physical contest and I think we should expect the same.

Reply #156
Geez EB i wish i shared your confidence mate. I do agree with you that our season has been far better then the swans but finals are a different beast and just hoping like hell we can settle quickly and get a buffer early.

A loss as i said earlier will be a fail mark to the season as far as im concerned - maybe that why im so nervous cause everything hinges off this game from my perspective.
There is no way a loss Friday is a failed season IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
Goal at the beginning of the year was to make finals....we've done it. And to bounce back from being 15th on the ladder and finish 5th was a fair effort given we were missing blokes like McGovern, Cerra, Walsh, Silvagni, Kennedy, McKay and a few others for a lot of that winning sequence. And in that run, beat 3 of the top 4 teams as well as St Kilda who were 5th at the time.

Reply #158
There is no way a loss Friday is a failed season IMO.

I agree. 9 wins in a row, including wins against 3 of the top 4, gives us an excellent springboard for 2024, whatever happens on Friday. This season is definitely a pass IMO.

Reply #159
Goal at the beginning of the year was to make finals....we've done it. And to bounce back from being 15th on the ladder and finish 5th was a fair effort given we were missing blokes like McGovern, Cerra, Walsh, Silvagni, Kennedy, McKay and a few others for a lot of that winning sequence. And in that run, beat 3 of the top 4 teams as well as St Kilda who were 5th at the time.
Spot on Surfy, I now view finals as a "free hit". I think what we will learn is whether or not what we are doing stands up in finals. My guess is it will but I say that with no confidence largely due to our past. I need to stop thinking like that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #160

Tend to agree Shawny,  just getting to the finals would have been a pass for me at the start of the season but things have changed and I rate us much better than the other teams outside the top four and expect to win this final and will be disappointed if we lost to what i think is an inferior Swans team.

Reply #161
Walsh, Cerra, Cripps, Docherty, Charlie, Weitering, Harry, Saad, Newman, Martin, McGovern.

This is one hell of a team and played like one hell of a team and don't think it could get better from a list management point of view with Salary Cap restrictions. We need to make the talent count. Expecting a tough physical contest and Sydney have guns of their own but if we lose this then I would ask questions as to why. Season will be a pass but unsatisfactory.

Reply #162
I agree. 9 wins in a row, including wins against 3 of the top 4, gives us an excellent springboard for 2024, whatever happens on Friday. This season is definitely a pass IMO.

Can’t agree. This group is well overdue to play finals imo and considering we have a very healthy list we need to get this win.

As we all know improving from season to season is no given and we have used injuries as excuses for several years so when you have a decent run you have to take your chances and if we don’t it’s fail imo.

Reply #163
Can’t agree. This group is well overdue to play finals imo and considering we have a very healthy list we need to get this win.

As we all know improving from season to season is no given and we have used injuries as excuses for several years so when you have a decent run you have to take your chances and if we don’t it’s fail imo.
IMO there are many factors or elements that need to be in place to play finals and win a flag than just talent:
- Competent coaching Staff
- Experience (age profile and games played together)
- Sustainable and finals proof game plan
- Luck with injuries
- Favourable draw
- Confidence/Belief
Many of these elements have not been in place for this group thus far. I'm not sure its fair to say "This group is well overdue to play finals", perhaps they just weren't "ready" and now they are. The turn around this year following those 6 losses took tremendous maturity, belief and resilience, that never would have happened in years gone by.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #164
IMO there are many factors or elements that need to be in place to play finals and win a flag than just talent:
- Competent coaching Staff
- Experience (age profile and games played together)
- Sustainable and finals proof game plan
- Luck with injuries
- Favourable draw
- Confidence/Belief
Many of these elements have not been in place for this group thus far. I'm not sure its fair to say "This group is well overdue to play finals", perhaps they just weren't "ready" and now they are. The turn around this year following those 6 losses took tremendous maturity, belief and resilience, that never would have happened in years gone by.

I take your points - I guess I’m just tired of underachieving for many years and as this rebuild was the slowest build to play finals any of us would have thought (if we are really being honest) with that in mind having a year where we actually do a tad better then everyone tipped us to do is not asking too much and hence why that’s where im setting the bar at.

If we lose I’m sure when the hurt fades say around Dec I will probably be pleased with the gains made but for now its not how I see it.