Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match (Read 14034 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs Freo in Freo Practice Match

Reply #45
Effort OK, but ball use by foot was appalling, if we can't improve that then we're toast

Reply #46
Big call when Cripps, Eddie, Plow, the Guv, Big H, Charlie, Murphy aren't out there at all and guys like Special k and Jack M play a half at most.

Still lots of dumb, dumb, dumb ball use.

And Freo was at full strength?  The outs for both sides were fairly even but the side we put on the park let themselves down with poor execution, lack of effort and inability to execute the gameplan.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Can't agree, we were missing half or more of our best 18.

no SPS, O'Brien. The former at least a regular 22 player.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
Positives were Walsh again, Jones, Silvagni who never stopped trying and Fisher who looked more involved than any time last year.

Reply #49
Not happy. Not happy at all.  >:(  >:(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #50
Ball use by foot was terrible as was some decision making, thought Jones and Weitering  were reliable and Walsh got some footy but it was hard to get excited about too much else. Martin had some nice moments until he went off but we really looked slow and out of our depth vs a lot of no name Freo players. Schultz was all over our small defenders and Bailey Banfield(who?) was too much for Williamson who looked like he needed a rest especially at the end when he got a boot in the mouth.
Lobbe slaughtered us around the ground and marked everything that came his way, Pittonet did some ok things and supported his team-mates well but lacks a bit of class vs a player like Lobbe.
Only a practice game so no need to panic but without Cripps we look a bit rudderless, I know Fyfe wasnt playing but I think Cripps is more important to us given we have so many small bodies.
re: Moore and Sturgess.....didnt see the latter on the ground, Moore wasnt up to it and Casboult was our only real threat up forward. Going to very hard to score vs the Tigers round 1 if we dont get Harry and McGovern fit and on the park and have Betts doing the crumbing.
What was more disappointing tonight was that Freo are not very good....and most of us wouldnt know half their players names.

Reply #51
I think they can stop looking at Callum Moore for a list spot 🙄 very sloppy disposal and kicking for goal.
There used to be an old saying in my day “ play as you train” only a practice match but same crap as last 20 years.

Reply #52
Ball use by foot was terrible as was some decision making, thought Jones and Weitering  were reliable and Walsh got some footy but it was hard to get excited about too much else. Martin had some nice moments until he went off but we really looked slow and out of our depth vs a lot of no name Freo players. Schultz was all over our small defenders and Bailey Banfield(who?) was too much for Williamson who looked like he needed a rest especially at the end when he got a boot in the mouth.
Lobbe slaughtered us around the ground and marked everything that came his way, Pittonet did some ok things and supported his team-mates well but lacks a bit of class vs a player like Lobbe.
Only a practice game so no need to panic but without Cripps we look a bit rudderless, I know Fyfe wasnt playing but I think Cripps is more important to us given we have so many small bodies.
re: Moore and Sturgess.....didnt see the latter on the ground, Moore wasnt up to it and Casboult was our only real threat up forward. Going to very hard to score vs the Tigers round 1 if we dont get Harry and McGovern fit and on the park and have Betts doing the crumbing.
What was more disappointing tonight was that Freo are not very good....and most of us wouldnt know half their players names.

EB - no excuses in pro sport but:

1. we were missing literally half a team - Betts, Crippa, Curnow, Big H, the Guv, Murphy, Plow and SPS (and LOB). And Kreuz and Jack M played <50%.

2. More importantly, humidity in Mandurah this afternoon was 80%.

They would have been told to go at half throttle. Sadly it showed.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
very uninspiring. thankfully just a practice match.

doc and willo rusty.  martin looked pretty good.  fisher played well.  walsh did alright.  weiters, cas and jones solid.  the rest...

hoping we have closer to round 1 side available for next one.  concerned that gov and harry unlikely.

Reply #54
4 months of preseason and that’s what they dish up...wow

Reply #55
very uninspiring. thankfully just a practice match.

doc and willo rusty.  martin looked pretty good.  fisher played well.  walsh did alright.  weiters, cas and jones solid.  the rest...

hoping we have closer to round 1 side available for next one.  concerned that gov and harry unlikely.

Guv will play next week, possibly Harry too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
I suppose if you add Plow, Cripps, SPS, Gov, Harry, Murph, Betts, and more game time to Kreuz & Martin, that's nearly half of our very best players missing.  Then you take out the extra 4 on the bench, and we'll be dropping 10 of the poorest performers come round 1.  The only issue is we'll be facing the tiggers in round 1...

I'll keep my doom and gloom in check for now.   

Reply #57
Unless Teague gave firm instructions to go at 60% (because of the high humidity or whatever), I'd be ropable if I was him and the coaching staff....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Well that was disappointing, to say the least. Talk about flashbacks to early last year and the previous two years - too little on-field leadership. Nothing like the side I watched last week at PP against Rottingwood.

Looked to me like a bit of 'getting ahead of ourselves.' Played like champs last week and it appeared some blokes thought it would just all happen... just like last week! Way too early for the 'swagger', lads.

The skill errors were horrendous... and often! Backline generally good until being overwhelmed in the last qtr. Midfield struggled and lacked authority and the forward line was a shambles.

Also looked like Longmuir coached v. well and knew how to frustrate us. Good test for DT, thought he was out coached.

Our 'outs' were considerable and the conditions would have been something of a shock for our blokes. This was an ideal opportunity for Lang and Cuningham in particular to make a statement. Lang gave us next to nothing and Cuningham did his usual couple of really good outside things then ran around in circles for the remainder. Sturgess and Moore didn't help their chances of getting onto our list, one bit. Might be a long year for Kennedy and Polson. Time for Dow to extract digit. Willo was a shadow of the bloke I saw last week.

Liked Doc, once he blew off more cobwebs. Weiters was a ripper.  SOJ will be bumless today... worked his clacker off.

Might be a timely loss (hate finding positives in such a poor showing) as it will remind the blokes, bluntly, of what is required when you turn up to play... because too many of our blokes didn't turn up, and too many turned it over.

It's one game, a pre season game, an under-manned side with an ordinary attitude. Let's hope it's an aberration. Bring on our next game so we can redeem ourselves.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59
After being told by Dinkum Dave that we, the supporters, love scoring more than anything, we were properly fobbed off with a reheated, stale pizza version of Bolton, complete with kicking to the boundary, fumbly skills, slow ball movement AND Ed Curnow playing as a forward.

Country folk are known for their wry humour.