Skip to main content
Topic: Aussies aren't into meat! (Read 7710 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Aussies aren't into meat!

Reply #15
I get mine from the South Melbourne market usually.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
I don't eat meat at all because I'm a vegetarian.  I think it is nice to preserve animal lives and I've got to 45 without it, so i'm not about to start eating it now.   I like vegetarian curries and pasta.

Reply #17
Rib Eye, medium rare, a little simple slald on the side and a large glass of Barolo!

Yum, yum!
Stop it. We have similar tastes LP. The salad I like best is simply tomatoes, chopped red onions and olive oil. If the rib eye is of extra good quality, a nice Brunello di Montalcino is warranted.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
Seems we have like tastes cookie.
I love a rib fillet, about an inch thick, cooked rare!   8)

Yes mate sounds like it, I like to get the grill on the bbq very very hot and cook the steak about 1.5 - 2 mins (depending in thickness) per side. I like most type of steaks but a good marinated rib-eye is particularly nice! I like a good Aussie shiraz to keep it company.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Stop it. We have similar tastes LP. The salad I like best is simply tomatoes, chopped red onions and olive oil. If the rib eye is of extra good quality, a nice Brunello di Montalcino is warranted.

I wasn't a big fan of Italian red, but I had a few nice Barolo, Novello or Chianti on a recent trip to Novara. As long as the Barolo has been allowed to rest for a few years I find it as good as an equivalently priced Burgundy.

I like a thick cut Rib Eye cooked like this, pre-heat coals in a kamado style grill, allow the kamado to get very hot and for the coals to burn well down, take some room temperature rib eyes and flash cook them in the kamado. Rare might be as quick as 2 or 3 mins, medium-rare 4 - 5, buggered is pretty much anytime much longer than about 5 - 6 mins. Let them rest for 15-20 mins in a very low temp warm oven.

I have no idea way the kamado grills cook steak so well, there is a clear difference between them and any hooded barbecue whether charcoal or gas.

PS; If anybody asks for medium or well done give them $20 and directions to the nearest pizza shop, and another $10 to make up some goon juice!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I wasn't a big fan of Italian red, but I had a few nice Barolo, Novello or Chianti on a recent trip to Novara. As long as the Barolo has been allowed to rest for a few years I find it as good as an equivalently priced Burgundy.

I like a thick cut Rib Eye cooked like this, pre-heat coals in a kamado style grill, allow the kamado to get very hot and for the coals to burn well down, take some room temperature rib eyes and flash cook them in the kamado. Rare might be as quick as 2 or 3 mins, medium-rare 4 - 5, buggered is pretty much anytime much longer than about 5 - 6 mins. Let them rest for 15-20 mins in a very low temp warm oven.

I have no idea way the kamado grills cook steak so well, there is a clear difference between them and any hooded barbecue whether charcoal or gas.

PS; If anybody asks for medium or well done give them $20 and directions to the nearest pizza shop, and another $10 to make up some goon juice!

I like my Scotch Fillet well done.......in fact I like all my meat well cooked, blood free and dead before I eat it.........I'll give you my details for the $30 you are giving me ;)

Reply #21
I like my Scotch Fillet well done.......in fact I like all my meat well cooked, blood free and dead before I eat it.........I'll give you my details for the $30 you are giving me ;)

Each to their own EB1.

My mum was the same, she was old world and grew up eating well done because that was the safest option. I suppose a lot of people who grew up in the war years also had a similar position. Not that you can't enjoy it for other reasons.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Each to their own EB1.

My mum was the same, she was old world and grew up eating well done because that was the safest option.

LP...Yep my upbringing was everything meat cooked to within an inch of its life...I'm not that bad, when I say well done I mean browned up and cooked through but not however with
a inch of charcoal crust surrounding the meat and being like a piece of rubber either..
I know I am in the minority these days and when eating steak out I get the second look when I say well done and it usually never is when it arrives...Pubs are more accommodating to well done
connoisseurs but I find your more up market eateries loathe to meet my request and said piece of meat is usually well done on the outside but partially still moving on the plate and bleeding from the inside.. ;)

Reply #23
LP...Yep my upbringing was everything meat cooked to within an inch of its life...I'm not that bad, when I say well done I mean browned up and cooked through but not however with
a inch of charcoal crust surrounding the meat and being like a piece of rubber either..
I know I am in the minority these days and when eating steak out I get the second look when I say well done and it usually never is when it arrives...Pubs are more accommodating to well done
connoisseurs but I find your more up market eateries loathe to meet my request and said piece of meat is usually well done on the outside but partially still moving on the plate and bleeding from the inside.. ;)

EB I was once in a bistro in Adelaide where the waiter/owner, whoever he was, (Fawlty-esque wanker imo), refused to serve one of our group a well done steak. Caused a bit of a kerfuffle and we ended up having to leave and find somewhere else to eat. Still have a laugh when I think about that.  :))

Your family cooking story reminded me of the very rare culinary talents of my ex and dearly departed mother in law who could cook anything you threw at her down to the same consistency and bland flavour. I don't laugh much when I remember some of meals we had at her table.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Your family cooking story reminded me of the very rare culinary talents of my ex and dearly departed mother in law who could cook anything you threw at her down to the same consistency and bland flavour.

It's an incredibly rare and very special talent, almost like magic when you think about it! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
EB I was once in a bistro in Adelaide where the waiter/owner, whoever he was, (Fawlty-esque wanker imo), refused to serve one of our group a well done steak. Caused a bit of a kerfuffle and we ended up having to leave and find somewhere else to eat. Still have a laugh when I think about that.  :))

Your family cooking story reminded me of the very rare culinary talents of my ex and dearly departed mother in law who could cook anything you threw at her down to the same consistency and bland flavour. I don't laugh much when I remember some of meals we had at her table.

Cookie..South Australia is where I have had some of my worst culinary moments as well. :)...waited one and half hours at a restaurant called Fanny's(yep the name should have warned me) for a piece of Flounder only to be told they didnt have any, all the other guests in our group had finished their main course when my now piece of new fish (Whiting) arrived....it was of the packet variety and I calmly(well calmly for me) sent it back, ordered desert and a coffee and on the way back to the motel had a serve of fish and chips from the local fish and chippery. The clown running the restaurant was a Basil F type and accused me of ruining his system, in the kitchen by returning his packet fish... :o
My aunt who is now 90 and still living in Adelaide used to serve us Lambs Fry everytime we visited...swimming in grease and usually tasting like a pair of rubber thongs that had been out in the sun for a while..... :))
Going to Victor Harbour in a couple of weeks for some rec leave so hoping the food is of better quality......

Reply #26

Have you tried ones like Aglianico, Nero D'Avola, Nero di Troia, Amarone? Nero D'Avola is one of my favorites ATM.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
The old "Vegetarians think butchers are gross, but I think fruit and veg sellers are grosser"

Reply #28
The old "Vegetarians think butchers are gross, but I think fruit and veg sellers are grosser"

Oh dear... good one, but... oh dear!  ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
Mrs DJC and I visited a new (to me) food shop today.  Apart from the organic icy poles with chunks of real fruit, I was pleasantly surprised to see rabbit, kangaroo, emu, buffalo, quail and crocodile on sale.  The range of red and white meat to be devoured in our place has just increased significantly  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball