Skip to main content
Topic: RD 12 : Blues Robbed By Cats (Despair & Teeth-Grinding) (Read 53817 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 12 : Blues Robbed By Cats (Despair & Teeth-Grinding)

Reply #165
Pretty surprised that the Pussy Cats didn't even get a please explain from the AFL re Lappin getting into the thick of the action in their goal square in the last minute of play.

Would not be surprised if they did.

Reply #166
Pretty surprised that the Pussy Cats didn't even get a please explain from the AFL re Lappin getting into the thick of the action in their goal square in the last minute of play.

Wayne Campbell said it was okay, I'm surprised Robbo didn't get reported for pushing him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #167

Wayne Campbell said it was okay, I'm surprised Robbo didn't get reported for pushing him.

You would think it's one or the other. Of it was fine then there was no need for robbo to push him then.

Reply #169
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-12/lappin-cops-fine

GEELONG runner Nigel Lappin has been fined $2000 for running into Carlton's Mitch Robinson during the frantic finish to last Friday's clash between the Cats and Blues at Etihad Stadium.

However, Lappin's fine is suspended, so if he stays out of trouble for 12 months, he won't need to hand over the cash.

Lappin walked front-on into Robinson's path with just 13 seconds remaining on the clock, prompting the fiery midfielder to push Lappin away.

"The AFL accepts that the Geelong runner stumbled after tripping on the foot of a Geelong player and inadvertently moved into the path of an opposition Carlton player, but all club officials must not put themselves in any position where they may interefere with the duties of an umpire or an opposition player’s role in the game," AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans

lol so they fined him (suspended fine) but he did nothing wrong?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #170

GEELONG runner Nigel Lappin has been fined $2000 for running into Carlton's Mitch Robinson during the frantic finish to last Friday's clash between the Cats and Blues at Etihad Stadium.

However, Lappin's fine is suspended, so if he stays out of trouble for 12 months, he won't need to hand over the cash.

Lappin walked front-on into Robinson's path with just 13 seconds remaining on the clock, prompting the fiery midfielder to push Lappin away.

"The AFL accepts that the Geelong runner stumbled after tripping on the foot of a Geelong player and inadvertently moved into the path of an opposition Carlton player, but all club officials must not put themselves in any position where they may interefere with the duties of an umpire or an opposition player’s role in the game," AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans

That is a disgrace. Typical AFL soft c... BS.

So, why wasn't a FREE KICK AWARDED?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #171

That is a disgrace. Typical AFL soft c... BS.

So, why wasn't a FREE KICK AWARDED?

The simple answer is that the AFL is trying to use the umpires to determine the look of the game.  In my opinion, the game would be more attractive if umpires were directed to blow their whistle every time the rules of the game are transgressed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #172
Runners should not be allowed on the ground during the last 3 minutes of a game IMO...Lappin should have been suspended .

Reply #173
Runners should not be allowed on the ground during the last 3 minutes of a game IMO...Lappin should have been suspended .

With three field umpires out there many of them awarding free kicks from 50m away yet none saw a runner in the middle of a stoppage! The runner might have got a suspended fine but those umpires need to be officiating in Border Town this weekend.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #174
What's the odds that an umpire gets pinged for interfering with the play this weekend. ;)

Reply #175
That's an insult to the border league.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #176
There's also a good chance of a "Runner" getting pinged for interfering with the play :-[

(Thanks Essendon for making me stay up past my bedtime.) :D

Reply #177
If I remember in the game Saints vs Port  I think the Saints runner got pinged for interfering with the game and the ball was 50metres down field I think the Saints originally  had the  freekick but it was taken off them  and given to Port so we were robbed of a free kick  >:( 

Reply #178
This current discussion is why, in my opinion, the umpiring standard is dropping.
While I agree that on field, players need to show respect for not just the umpires, but their decisions, there needs to be post match discussion of the umpire's performance and blatant errors, particularly those that have impacted the game need to be acknowledged. For the umpires chief to come out publicly and state there was no issue, and then the runner involved have been found to have broken the rules and subsequently punished, is a disgrace. These guys need to own up to their mistakes, and take note of how they need to do things better.
The medical field is coming around to the practice of discussing poor outcomes for patients, and discussing what can be done to improve service and care in order to try and preventing it from happening again. Studies show this leads to better outcomes. Furthermore, studies also show that by acknowledging errors to patients, patients are less likely to pursue legal action against practitioners (obviously not in all cases).
Maybe there's something in that for the umps.