Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 49040 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #225
Was Chris Scott who bumped the injured Nick Reiwoldt as he was being taken off the ground wasnt it?......gives you an idea of the character of the man....

Yes, definitely Chris.

Reply #229
Was Chris Scott who bumped the injured Nick Reiwoldt as he was being taken off the ground wasnt it?......gives you an idea of the character of the man....

Actually I thought it was Chris Johnson, but maybe both of them had a go?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #230
Mal Michael and Chris Scott

[flash=420,315]https://youtube.com/v/w5d8qE-BbFg[/flash]
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #231
Mal Michael and Chris Johnson

[flash=420,315]https://youtube.com/v/w5d8qE-BbFg[/flash]

Listen at about 2.00 - the commentator mentions Chris Scott and Michael.

Reply #232
Yeah typo from me, I meant Chris Scott
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #233
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geelong-are-overrated-says-coach-chris-scott-20160530-gp7nl9.html

He got one thing right....

Scott still doesn't get it!  Geelong isn't overrated, he underestimated our ability to apply sustained pressure and, more importantly, underestimated our coach's ability to develop and implement a match winning strategy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #234
"Quite honestly my dears, I don't give a damn what the Scotts think of us!" to paraphrase Rhett Butler.
My thoughts, exactly. I learnt quite some time ago that neither of the Scotts had a good word for us, nor any team they lose to. I'm inclined to let it go through to the keeper: neither of them is someone who impresses me as a human. I'm much more worried about getting the next trade/draft period right and continuing to build on what we have. You listen to Bolton and he doesn't behave like a spoilt child. I'm happy enough to move on to our next challenge and hope we can continue to improve.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #235
My thoughts, exactly. I learnt quite some time ago that neither of the Scotts had a good word for us, nor any team they lose to. I'm inclined to let it go through to the keeper: neither of them is someone who impresses me as a human. I'm much more worried about getting the next trade/draft period right and continuing to build on what we have. You listen to Bolton and he doesn't behave like a spoilt child. I'm happy enough to move on to our next challenge and hope we can continue to improve.

One of Bolton's first comments at his presser was along the lines of Geelong earning respect over many years.  I guess the Scotts weren't brought up proper  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #236
One of Bolton's first comments at his presser was along the lines of Geelong earning respect over many years.  I guess the Scotts weren't brought up proper  :)

It was simply good manners and correct from Bolton. Chris Scott has hardly had to coach that lot. Their senior players are utterly professional, and it was a fair bit of good fortune that saw so many of them play at the same time in the same club. That being said, geelong are one of the handful of clubs that have got their act together as an organisation. Only them, Hawthorn, sydney and west coast really get it, in so far as getting the organisation as a whole working well and not making as much of a distinction between on and off field. Scott walked into a place that was working very well. He got a premiership in his first year. Time he learned how to lose with a bit of grace, as it is going to happen more. Does anyone really think henderson can replace the likes of Enright?

CFC, if one is to be optomistic, finally get it now too. It's not just the coach, it's everyone.

Reply #237
I think this game is a very good example of the old "a champion team is better than a team of champions". Sustained effort and sustaining the correct attitude for 4 q helps enormously in AFL footy. 

The boys gave effort and attitude worthy of a GF IMO.

This doesn't mean of course that we don't go after talent. But hopefully, the club understands that the effort and attitude shown in this game is not simply to compensate for a lack of top end players. I would hate to think that these two attributes drop off once the club has a better list, believing that such a list will get you over the line, without the requisite work rate.

I wonder whether this is the trap that the Cats fell into ?

Reply #238
I think this game is a very good example of the old "a champion team is better than a team of champions". Sustained effort and sustaining the correct attitude for 4 q helps enormously in AFL footy. 

The boys gave effort and attitude worthy of a GF IMO.

This doesn't mean of course that we don't go after talent. But hopefully, the club understands that the effort and attitude shown in this game is not simply to compensate for a lack of top end players. I would hate to think that these two attributes drop off once the club has a better list, believing that such a list will get you over the line, without the requisite work rate.

I wonder whether this is the trap that the Cats fell into ?

I have a feeling that the "team of champions" saying may haunt GWS for some time.

I suspect Geelong were expecting not only a win but a soft contest.  On the other hand, our players are drilled into believing that they will win if they apply maximum effort.

Reply #239
I have a feeling that the "team of champions" saying may haunt GWS for some time.

I suspect Geelong were expecting not only a win but a soft contest.  On the other hand, our players are drilled into believing that they will win if they apply maximum effort.

On the last point, the post match presser from pea brain Scott gave the impression (as others, including you, have noted) that it was all about them, and that all they needed to was show up. An attitude that appears to have been there for a while and seemingly also filtered down to the players.