Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 49044 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
Goes to show just how horrific the decision to let Mick Malthouse get his hands on this club was imo.

Players like Gibbs are reinvigorated and playing like they are in the top few mids in the competition, yet everyone wanted them gone. Kreuzer breaks the record for tackles by any Carlton player in a game vs Geelong.. KREUZER!!!

In the last quarter it still would not have bothered me if Cats had overrun us (well it would have, but I still would have been stoked with the effort by this group to that stage), but instead we were still the better team in the last as well.

Bolton is already shoe-in for Coach of the Year imo, with no disrespect to Roos, Scott, Scott or anyone else.
He turned one of the least competitive units in the competition into a real football team again, 2 years earlier than ANYONE could have imagined.

Never had any issue with Bolton and am more than happy to have him around.

However, Gibbs' start to the year was the exact same thing he was dishing up last year. People were calling for his head earlier this season.

Also the turnover of players from last year to this year was almost unheard of. SOS gets 20 gold stars for what he pulled off at the trade table swapping Menzel for 5 contributors! Picking up others for nothing. Sending selfish players elsewhere and turning them into 1st round picks.

You congratulate Kreuzer, rightly so. How many games did he play under Mick last year? None. The year before? 1.

He is essentially a new recruit...add him to the other 15 we got and you can see why this team is performing better. Our worst loss this year was of course when he wasn't in the side.

The turnaround can not be put down to a mere coaching change, but a playing list change.

Great win by the boys today. Fantastic win.

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #31
I wish I could figure out how to share the picture of Gibbs spewing after the siren.

Why was he spewing? We won. Oh, wait ...  ;D
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #32
Murphy had barely a touch: I assume he was injured. That makes this result stand out even more! Not to mention that 2 cripples had to play!
DELETED ORIG POST
Greaat win! Loved every bit of it, especially happy or Hendo.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33

The turnaround can not be put down to a mere coaching change, but a playing list change.

There weren't any MM coached games where we played like that, for 1 week, let alone several. 90% change of coach, 10% change of players.

Reply #34
He and Gibbs basically turned it around after 1/4 time. I now finally understand how Robert Klomp won a tv in the 80's with the magnificent stats of 0 kicks, 0 marks, 0 handballs!

The biggest accolade for Sam Rowe is keeping the ball off the big power forwards, tomahawk in particular :P
I don't think he got a goal until after the battle was won.
If spoils against the "elite forwards - flag faves" were stats, Rowe would clean up.
Might not get marking stats, but had the other defenders on had to take advantage.
Well done big fella.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
Docherty - say no more - peter dean incarnate
Its Doullerty isnt it?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
Reports Motlop hit Tuohy in the nuts straight in front of the umpire, but not even a free kick?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

We wasted the best part of a decade between Ratten and Malthouse but there's no point crying over spilt milk, the change in attitude at the club is palpable and much of the credit must go to the senior coach.

Great win by the boys today. Fantastic win.

I thought that the Port win a few weeks back was the best I'd seen for years but this one tops it.
Relentless pressure, tackling, chasing, discipline, all the hallmarks of a deeply committed team, it really had the lot.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #38
CARLTON          4.0   10.4   13.6   16.8 (104)                
GEELONG          3.6   6.8   9.11   12.13 (85) 

GOALS
Carlton: Everitt 4, Armfield 3, Gibbs 2, Gorringe 2, Murphy, Curnow, Casboult, Walker, Lamb
Geelong: Motlop 2, Gregson 2, Guthrie 2, Enright, Stanley, Bartel, Smedts, Smith, Hawkins

BEST
Carlton: Gibbs, Docherty, Armfield, Curnow, Rowe, Cripps, Simpson
Geelong: Guthrie, Dangerfield, Duncan, Bartel, Stanley, Henderson

INJURIES
Carlton: Murphy (ankle), Sumner (ankle), Weitering (knee), Armfield (leg)
Geelong: Stanley (foot)

Considering that we won the game without any contribution from Murphy or Sumner, we had 2 other injuries later, we had 2 guys who were dead a week ago and we missed Byrne out this morning, this is a performance to remember.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
Great to see 'mummy's boy Henderson one on one with Walker.  The team loved it too because they knew that in a foot race A1 had him every time.

I don't know whether milestone games can extract more effort, but I reckon a 'stick it up Hendo'might squeeze an extra drop. And make no mistake, they were into him all the time. Relentless.

At least we can give Waite that, he finished the 2014 season with Carlton giving his best and did well kicking a number of goals, unlike Henderson and Yarran, who simply gave up on the club didn't try. In Henderson case deserves any boos he gets from our supporters for that reason alone. Today was a just a little bit of karma for him. Taking a line from the classics...."go suck a big fat one Hendo".

Reply #40
Simon White's last quarter was 'Kouta like in '99'! Ok, I'm going over the top, but it was bloody good!!!
Make no mistake, White was very good all day. Simpson and Army were enormous, Doc was sublime, Gibbs was BOG, was tough (yes tough) and classy today.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
wonder if his mum called?
Post of the year thus far. 3 Votes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
We wasted the best part of a decade between Ratten and Malthouse but there's no point crying over spilt milk, the change in attitude at the club is palpable and much of the credit must go to the senior coach.

I thought that the Port win a few weeks back was the best I'd seen for years but this one tops it.
Relentless pressure, tackling, chasing, discipline, all the hallmarks of a deeply committed team, it really had the lot.

Wins over Collingwood and Port were good, strong solid wins against decent enough sides at least. We got our game together, used the ball well, handballs weren't finding grass as they did the previous two scratchy wins, and both those side's form after playing us validates that.

Sometimes you never underestimate the effect of "scratchy" wins, the like we had against Freo and Essendon. They build more belief and confidence than most honourable losses

Reply #43
There weren't any MM coached games where we played like that, for 1 week, let alone several. 90% change of coach, 10% change of players.
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44
How about the courage of Thomas, Simpson and Casboult today? They put it all on the line. Kreuzer, Cripps, Lamb, Gibbs, Docherty, Armfield, Everett and White full marks today.

Crowd was absolutely feral today and I loved every minute!