Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 27757 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
Gorringe may be stiff but I'm thinking Casboult will be ready to resume ruck duties. Jaksch maybe in this week to play key forward. As bad luck as it would be for Gorringe it would be a better balanced side.

Any other changes would be forced. Hopefully not.

Gorringe is averaging more goals a game than casboult.

Despite being 'average' in the ruck, he has 3 times more hitouts for the year compared to casboult despite playing 7 less games.

We are a better balanced side with Kreuzer and Gorringe rucking and resting forward and leaving Casboult as a FT forward/wrecking ball.

Reply #31

Despite being 'average' in the ruck, he has 3 times more hitouts for the year compared to casboult despite playing 7 less games.

We are a better balanced side with Kreuzer and Gorringe rucking and resting forward and leaving Casboult as a FT forward/wrecking ball.
Levi hasn't had a big year in the ruck, that is certain. I wouldn't be expecting too much of him in that department for a while yet.
To be honest, I can't believe he played on Sunday and got through the game.

That said, Levi is never a huge goal kicker. He appears to play better when he starts further away from goals and moves around. Not as any opportunities to miss. :)
Gorringe, on the other hand, has shown he has the mobility to get on the end of things. Some of his goals have been from pretty close range: good football that he is there and his opponent is not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
Levi hasn't had a big year in the ruck, that is certain. I wouldn't be expecting too much of him in that department for a while yet.
To be honest, I can't believe he played on Sunday and got through the game.

That said, Levi is never a huge goal kicker. He appears to play better when he starts further away from goals and moves around. Not as any opportunities to miss. :)
Gorringe, on the other hand, has shown he has the mobility to get on the end of things. Some of his goals have been from pretty close range: good football that he is there and his opponent is not.

I can't see Levi playing in the ruck unless we're forced to play him there because of injuries.  He does his best work monstering defenders as well as providing a marking target up the ground.  Even when he doesn't take the grab, the opposition rarely get possession and that's really all you want from a key forward - apart from a couple of goals.

Gorringe seems to be an in between size, not really big or strong enough to to be a genuine ruckman or key forward.  He moves well and his goal from the square was the result of hard running and reading the play well.  I'm not sure where he should play.  Perhaps he could be something of a Blicavs type with too much height for blokes able to match his mobility.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Normally Ed Curnow goes to the best mid/most skilled...I wouldnt mind seeing Curnow tag Robbo and put him out of the game and take some emotion out of Brisbane...

Reply #34
Normally Ed Curnow goes to the best mid/most skilled...I wouldnt mind seeing Curnow tag Robbo and put him out of the game and take some emotion out of Brisbane...

I wouldn't dignify Robbo with that honour EB!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
I wouldn't dignify Robbo with that honour EB!  :)

Take your point Cookie however Robbo by default is probably their most prolific ball winner at the minute and seems to get an extra zing in his game when he plays us
and I'd like to see him worried more about getting a kick against Ed than trying to line up our blokes and put them off their game...

Reply #36
Take your point Cookie however Robbo by default is probably their most prolific ball winner at the minute and seems to get an extra zing in his game when he plays us
and I'd like to see him worried more about getting a kick against Ed than trying to line up our blokes and put them off their game...

It's hard to see who else would justify having a run with player, Hanley perhaps?

I suspect that Ed on Robbo is certainly under consideration.  Ed's ability to win his own ball and make good use of it would have Robbo worrying about more than just getting a kick.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37

It would be good then if Ed could win some possessions from him and do some real damage with them as well as restricting Robbo's impact..  >:D

Reply #38

Gorringe is effectively standing in for Phillips.

Reply #39

Casboult has only played one game as a ruckman this year but when he played as a full time second ruck last year he often got taps in double figures until he went back forward. Don't think you have any sample size for stat comparison. They don't compare as footballers either.  Essentially many are having a wank over one game with looking back further. Didn't watch the Collingwood game 3 weeks ago? Casboult was a wrecking ball all over the ground, took 11 marks, 7 contested, smashed bodies and kicked 3 goals from 5 shots. Kreuzer went right up a notch too once Phillips got injured. Both we suddenly alot better. I've said it for years and again got proven right that game. If people haven't seen that over the years then they simply haven't watched football, or struggle to think back beyond one game.

We are not a better balanced side with Gorringe. Much better with a genuine forward there, for me Jaksch, with Kreuzer rucking and Casboult key forward and rucking. Let's not pretend otherwise based on one game. Gorringe went ok on the weekend but isn't that good. We've seen that. Let's not get blinded by one game. He's been damn ordinary for the NB's and was ordinary against North. Casboult would simply add more in the ruck by what he does around the ground, way more important to me. Not interested in a few extra taps here and there if they actually were to occur.

We have seen for a number of years that our best rucking combination is Kreuzer rucking most of the day with help from Casboult. Kreuzer plays way better when he has the ruck to himself, doesn't go anywhere near as well when he has to share it. Casboult performs alot better when he's both our forward and has a run in the ruck. He gets a run around the ground, gets his hands on the ball that that seems to help his confidence alot when he goes forward. He does much better in that role than when purely a forward. Like I said we saw this only only talking about this 3 weeks ago after the Collingwood game and most conceded that was the case. One game won't change that. We are a much better balanced side with Krezuer rucking  with help from Casboult. We can pick a genuine key forward as well as one smaller/medium type to start with giving us more run and mobility. Much better balance. Other wise we have a ruckman resting forward taking up a key position if Casboult is the only other forward, not so good, or two ruck and two key forward, which can hamper our mobility.

The only way I keep Gorringe in this week if Casboult's leg isn't ready to ruck.

Reply #40
It's too risky though if Kreuzer gets injured which happens a lot. When he went of injured against Port we got smashed. When he missed the following week we were smashed.

We have to play two ruckmen, Kreuzer is the one that has to learn how to share. ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41
I can't see Levi playing in the ruck unless we're forced to play him there because of injuries.  He does his best work monstering defenders as well as providing a marking target up the ground.  Even when he doesn't take the grab, the opposition rarely get possession and that's really all you want from a key forward - apart from a couple of goals.

Gorringe seems to be an in between size, not really big or strong enough to to be a genuine ruckman or key forward.  He moves well and his goal from the square was the result of hard running and reading the play well.  I'm not sure where he should play.  Perhaps he could be something of a Blicavs type with too much height for blokes able to match his mobility.

200cm, 100kg - he's hardly an in between size! With respect.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
I would play Gorringe off the wing pushing fwd & giving the ruck a breather.

Reply #43
200cm, 100kg - he's hardly an in between size! With respect.

Gorringe can't hold position against opposition ruckmen and is too easily brushed aside in contests.  If he is going to play mainly as a ruckman, he has to be bigger and stronger.  He is most suited to playing as a tall half forward, as was his stated position in the pre-season.

Reply #44

Casboult has only played one game as a ruckman this year but when he played as a full time second ruck last year he often got taps in double figures until he went back forward. Don't think you have any sample size for stat comparison. They don't compare as footballers either.  Essentially many are having a wank over one game with looking back further. Didn't watch the Collingwood game 3 weeks ago? Casboult was a wrecking ball all over the ground, took 11 marks, 7 contested, smashed bodies and kicked 3 goals from 5 shots. Kreuzer went right up a notch too once Phillips got injured. Both we suddenly alot better. I've said it for years and again got proven right that game. If people haven't seen that over the years then they simply haven't watched football, or struggle to think back beyond one game.

We are not a better balanced side with Gorringe. Much better with a genuine forward there, for me Jaksch, with Kreuzer rucking and Casboult key forward and rucking. Let's not pretend otherwise based on one game. Gorringe went ok on the weekend but isn't that good. We've seen that. Let's not get blinded by one game. He's been damn ordinary for the NB's and was ordinary against North. Casboult would simply add more in the ruck by what he does around the ground, way more important to me. Not interested in a few extra taps here and there if they actually were to occur.

We have seen for a number of years that our best rucking combination is Kreuzer rucking most of the day with help from Casboult. Kreuzer plays way better when he has the ruck to himself, doesn't go anywhere near as well when he has to share it. Casboult performs alot better when he's both our forward and has a run in the ruck. He gets a run around the ground, gets his hands on the ball that that seems to help his confidence alot when he goes forward. He does much better in that role than when purely a forward. Like I said we saw this only only talking about this 3 weeks ago after the Collingwood game and most conceded that was the case. One game won't change that. We are a much better balanced side with Krezuer rucking  with help from Casboult. We can pick a genuine key forward as well as one smaller/medium type to start with giving us more run and mobility. Much better balance. Other wise we have a ruckman resting forward taking up a key position if Casboult is the only other forward, not so good, or two ruck and two key forward, which can hamper our mobility.

The only way I keep Gorringe in this week if Casboult's leg isn't ready to ruck.

Where does that leave Phillips ?  I thought he absolutely showed enough to warrant his place before injury, his kicking for goal & strong forward marking was a notch above Kroozes, and his tap ruck work was certainly competative.  But as you say, Krooze works into the game better if he's the main man.......interesting dilemma.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.