Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 32839 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #135
I can vividly recall screamong to Jezza to tun faste,r as he seemed to just lope along.  But he always got there and was never caught.  You are right, some players seem to run urgently to get there and others have a different style.  Certainly some just cannot run fast but make up for it in other ways - Greg Williams !  

I used to go to games just to watch Jesaulenko coast.  In fact, I used to go to the Celtic Club to watch him coast up to the bar  ;)

Great players like Jezza give the impression of coasting because they have the awareness, balance, judgement to get the ball and use it well despite opposition pressure.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #137
Is it reasonable / fair / relevant to compare Gibbs' output to some of his contemporaries ?

Nope.

Its not fair to compare anyone to anyone.

They all have different strengths, weaknesses and abilities.

One of Gibbs is being a classy finisher and he didnt cover himself with glory in that regard on the weekend, but thats not necessarily a product of desire which is why he is being lambasted, but rather a product of having put in a herculean effort the week prior only to not be able to back up.

Some blokes are happy doing that week in and week out.  Others are not.

The fact that Brisbane came up with a plan to stop him (and it worked to a degree) is not a slight on Gibbs.  Sooner or later the best players have an off week.  Gibbs is not going to be regarded as one of the games greatest and wears more criticism because he was a number 1 draft pick and was selected ahead of Joel Selwood.

The measure of a player is what they do when they have an off week.  We will all agree that this week was potentially one of Gibbs worst 4 quarter performances as a player, but he still found a way to contribute, and thats important in itself.  Blokes who are not trying don't get 6 tackles to their name.  Graham ended up with 7 and Ed Curnow finished with 12 with Gibbs 3rd.  Happy enough to get down and get dirty when he couldnt find the ball himself, and thats enough I think.  Play your role, and do what you can.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #138
Nope.

Its not fair to compare anyone to anyone.

They all have different strengths, weaknesses and abilities.

One of Gibbs is being a classy finisher and he didnt cover himself with glory in that regard on the weekend, but thats not necessarily a product of desire which is why he is being lambasted, but rather a product of having put in a herculean effort the week prior only to not be able to back up.

Some blokes are happy doing that week in and week out.  Others are not.

The fact that Brisbane came up with a plan to stop him (and it worked to a degree) is not a slight on Gibbs.  Sooner or later the best players have an off week.  Gibbs is not going to be regarded as one of the games greatest and wears more criticism because he was a number 1 draft pick and was selected ahead of Joel Selwood.

The measure of a player is what they do when they have an off week.  We will all agree that this week was potentially one of Gibbs worst 4 quarter performances as a player, but he still found a way to contribute, and thats important in itself.  Blokes who are not trying don't get 6 tackles to their name.  Graham ended up with 7 and Ed Curnow finished with 12 with Gibbs 3rd.  Happy enough to get down and get dirty when he couldnt find the ball himself, and thats enough I think.  Play your role, and do what you can.

What he said!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #140
While I think that it would be more appropriate for the umpire who failed to award Levi a free kick to be fined $1000, it's probably money well spent in the long run.

I have paid quite a lot of attention to our forward line hoppo-bumpo that takes place before every centre bounce and it is very clear that the defenders give Levi a wide berth.  I suspect that his square up with Robbo might just make opponents a little more circumspect when Levi is around.

As for Hawkins;

The punch caught Davis in the throat and the match review panel ruled it was intentional conduct, with low impact to the head.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-geelong-may-go-to-tribunal-to-defend-tom-hawkins-20160606-gpcx4x.html#ixzz4AnXe8EUt

They showed the video ad nauseum on Talking Footy and it was evident that Hawkins's fist hit the point of Davis's jaw before slamming into his throat.  One week is getting off lightly in my opinion.