Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 34501 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game ________: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #15
Glass half full....6 wins from 8 matches. At the other end of the scale....gee we sucked today.

Still, we'll be defined right now by how we bounce back right now, especially with our pressure, not so much how we performed today.

Reply #16
Kreuzer is no good when he shares the ruck duties, stars when he does it on his own most of the day. Been the same for a long time. Ruck/rover type ruckman that needs to stay on the ball. Hence rather one ruckman so we can bring other type of players in, like Jaksch and Silvagni, who continue to kick lots of goals in the VFL. Be nice to bring Phillips in, given his form, but not sure if it helps us overall if it hurts Krezuer's game.

Sorry iaj.

Kruez was putrid today and needs help, but that help shouldn't be Gorringe.

Phillips BOG in the magoos yesterday.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #17
Gorringe is not a ruckman.  If we keep him in the side, he needs to play forward.

The problem though was that we looked exhausted.  Didn't want to run, didn't want to pressure and our tackling was insipid.  Their speed cut us up, Stevens had his own ball.

Krooz looked like a man who needed a rest.

Agree. We will benefit from the break.

I thought Crippa and Curnow soldiered on. Wright and Lamb our main threat pressuring forward. Actually i thought Lamb was great. Sumner needs a game to recalibrate post injury.

Some sound performances down back from AA Doc, 2e, Plowman.

Whilst I tipped us to win, I'm by no means disappointed. On the contrary I'm thrilled with our front half of the season.

Time to rest and regroup and recharge our "supporters" energy.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #18
Glass half full....6 wins from 8 matches. At the other end of the scale....gee we sucked today.

Still, we'll be defined right now by how we bounce back, especially with our pressure.

Reply #19
At least the NB's had a big win, maybe some of those boys might come in and play like they actually give a crap

True.
Jones could be a chance again.
 Played very well according to the reports from those at the Box Hill game.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #20
At least the NB's had a big win, maybe some of those boys might come in and play like they actually give a crap

I think almost everyone gives a crap.
I'm sure there will be changes and that's good.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21
I think almost everyone gives a crap.
I'm sure there will be changes and that's good.
I know mate, i'm angry. Cant help it though. Hot blooded Italians wear their heart on their sleeves, im no exception. I'm a sore loser

Reply #22

I actually switched off "mentally" early on...kept it going on the TV in the background.

It was evident from the beginning that our pressure was just a bit off...and that's all it needs to be.... the intensity of the tackling and desperation just wasn't the same
I realised at that stage that this was the "one-step backward" game and any judgements from it were probably not of great value.

Take note of the where we fell down... it's still a bit useful as a learning experience.... but put it behind us and move on quickly.

Reply #23
I know mate, i'm angry. Cant help it though. Hot blooded Italians wear their heart on their sleeves, im no exception. I'm a sore loser

All good.

I think I've been waiting for a reality game for a while. I actually thought it would be last week.

43 tackles today. That is seriously bad. There were still some positives, backline was pretty good.

Reply #24
We lack a depth of very good to elite players. When our current few are missing or having that off day then we get exposed. When our best 22 is out there and firing we are competitive otherwise we can get blown out of the water as we did today. We are still short of those few more very very good players. SOS will no doubt be busy finding them, especially some more class for the midfield.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Sorry iaj.

Kruez was putrid today and needs help, but that help shouldn't be Gorringe.

Phillips BOG in the magoos yesterday.

Problem is, as we have seen for years now, he no damn good, when he gets help but stars when he's on his own. Hence he starred against Collingwood and Port but sucked today and earlier in the year. It's something that has stood out for such a long time. Put Phillips in and Kreuzer will suck more often than not, as he did early in the year.

Reply #26
Problem is, as we have seen for years now, he no damn good, when he gets help but stars when he's on his own. Hence he starred against Collingwood and Port but sucked today and earlier in the year. It's something that has stood out for such a long time. Put Phillips in and Kreuzer will suck more often than not, as he did early in the year.

That's not true.

Phillips and Kruezer in their last two games together were far more effective than Krooz on his own.

When Phillips comes back you'll see it work again.

Reply #27
Stewards will probably launch an enquiry into St Kilda's form
Some punters may have won big time today. ::)

I actually switched off "mentally" early on...kept it going on the TV in the background.

It was evident from the beginning that our pressure was just a bit off...and that's all it needs to be.... the intensity of the tackling and desperation just wasn't the same
I realised at that stage that this was the "one-step backward" game and any judgements from it were probably not of great value.

Take note of the where we fell down... it's still a bit useful as a learning experience...c. but put it behind us and move on quickly.

I totally agree. Our pressure, tackle rate and will to run hard and work hard wasn't there from the beginning and for the entire game. We can try to analyse many aspects, but we surely couldn't put a cr@p performance in like today very soon in the future. We need to bye as a rest to reset back to what we should be doing.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #28
That's not true.

Phillips and Kruezer in their last two games together were far more effective than Krooz on his own.
m
When Phillips comes back you'll see it work again.

I'm talking the last few years when Kreuzer's shared the ruck duties, not 1 or 2 games. They we bloody awful together for the first 5 or 6 games. that's been obvious. It's stood out obviously. Kreuzer's effectiveness has been at his best against Collingwood and Port this year, when Casboult was his ruck partner in one and would've been in two except Casboult went down early against Port. Casboult played by far his best game too that day too. He's much better suited to a run on the ball. Helps him so much when he goes forward. Kreuzer/Casboult have been our best ruck combination for a few years, leave that in no doubt. Much better value with output around the ground. Stood out for years.

By picking 2 ruckmen means one rest at FF, that does us no good when we go into attack as they're both crap forwards as most rucks are, or you pick 2 ruckmen and 2 key forwards, which hurts our run. Rather pick one ruckman, Casboult as relief and pick a real key forward. Much better balance. Kreuzer plays better, Casboult plays better and we have an actual 2nd key forward.

Reply #29
....I couldnt understand why Stevens was allowed to run onto Hickey taps with no one in front of him, just a clear path ahead?

Literally cost us the game......Saints opened their lead in the 2nd quarter as a direct result of this & we never looked like it after that. Curnow chose a bad week to play possibly his worst ever game. Our midfield put so much pressure on our defence.....just a really, really poor collective effort from that group.

That's twice in the past month our ruckmen have been smashed in the middle & we've had no Plan A, let alone a Plan B.....whereby the opposition midfield have simply walked past as if we were standing still in crucial centre clearances, giving their forwards an armchair ride, clearance after clearance......it's a definite issue for us.

Reckon a few of them showed up with fat heads.....a heavily depleted Saints team, a monster Carlton crowd (would've easily been a 70/30 split), just expected it to happen without trying too hard to make it happen......Saints had a crack from the get-go, got their tails up, a few things went right for them and away they went. The Saints were in a similar position to us today & that's how we've won a couple of our games, but today we were on the other end of one.

As others have said, if we're gonna have a 2nd ruckman, then it can't be Gorringe.......ever.

I know we're still developing & don't want to over-achieve too quickly as we continue to rebuild......but I much prefer losing to the contenders as expected, than this bloody mob.
Football is life, there is nothing else....