Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 34502 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game ________: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #30
I'm talking the last few years when Kreuzer's shared the ruck duties, not 1 or 2 games. They we bloody awful together for the first 5 or 6 games. that's been obvious. It's stood out obviously. Kreuzer's effectiveness has been at his best against Collingwood and Port this year, when Casboult was his ruck partner in one and would've been in two except Casboult went down early against Port. Casboult played by far his best game too that day too. He's much better suited to a run on the ball. Helps him so much when he goes forward. Kreuzer/Casboult have been our best ruck combination for a few years, leave that in no doubt. Much better value with output around the ground. Stood out for years.

By picking 2 ruckmen means one rest at FF, that does us no good when we go into attack as they're both crap forwards as most ruck are, or you pick 2 ruckmen and 2 key forwards, which hurts our run. Rather pick one ruckman, Casboult as relief and pick a real key forward. Much better balance. Kreuzer plays better, Casboult plays better and we have an actual 2nd key forward.

I don't agree.

I think Krooz is a so-so ruckman who needs quality support and Phillips will provide that.

They have done everything possible to make sure Levi goes nowhere near the ruck, even preferring Rowe sometimes.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #31
Wouldnt totally blame Gorringe in the ruck...Kruezer wasnt great either and Hickey smashed us...I couldnt understand why Stevens was allowed to run onto Hickey taps with no one in front of him, just a clear path ahead.?

Not one of Kreuzer's best but Gorringe just isn't suited to playing in the ruck in my opinion, the only attribute he shares with true ruckmen is height.
He's a nice kick and has fairly good hands, with time he could become a decent forward.
Stevens is top class and he was roving to a winning ruck, it's no surprise that he got away from us.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #32
I don't agree.

I think Krooz is a so-so ruckman who needs quality support and Phillips will provide that.

They have done everything possible to make sure Levi goes nowhere near the ruck, even preferring Rowe sometimes.

Agree, Kruezer is not tall enough for a guy that doesn't jump much.
He also has little pace off the mark.
Love him because he gives everything but not sure it's enough.

Reply #33
He also has little pace off the mark.

But when he gets going....another excellent chase today.

Injuries have played havoc with him...

The No.1 pick for 2007 was Kreuzer. His scores at the camp included a 14.2 beep test (10th) - astounding for a kid of his size - as well as 10.51 min 3km time trial (9th) and a 3.06sec 20m sprint. All those times are exceptional for a midfielder, let alone someone tall and 95kg.

Reply #34
Chaps....didn't follow the game today, but who was on Josh Bruce?... I see Bruce had no impact so must have been well towelled, by ???

Reply #35
I don't agree.

He's been alright on his own in the tap dept for years and on his own he is very good around the ground. Happily sacrifice a few tap outs for that. Casboult was rucking against Collingwood, had a great game, best ever for the club, and Port, although lasted 5 min in that. He hasn't rucked due to his injury but surely that's ok now. Balance is definitely way better with one ruck whoever it is. Like I said, opens a position for a different type of player rather than a slow ruckman who mightn't do much. Worst comes to it I'd sacrifice a little in the ruck anyway for better balance around the ground. Much more important to me. Do I want a ruckman resting in the goalsquare or another key forward. Easy answer.

Reply #36
A real reality check that one.

Wont hurt us I reckon. Got to expect a bit of that in our situation. Half a season into a 4-5 year rebuild.

Wont do any harm at all. It wasn't a real thrashing after all.

Yes, my thoughts too.

More for Bolton to work with  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
Bolton summed it all up in his presser.
Overuse of the ball, tried to play too pretty and so on. He Knows exactly why we lost, but will never single out the bad ones.
He said,  the train has only just left the station, and we are where we expected to be.

The thing is  and I said some of this in the in game thread. We still have a lot of deadwood that need to be cleared out. We need to have a good draft and trade well.

What I believe you will find, is that we will win games we are expected to lose and lose some we should win. That's what tends to happen with a team of our make up.

It's gunna take time.

but we are still entitled to have a go at them when they put in an insipid effort, 43 tackles says it all, like they did today.

Reply #38
A real reality check that one.

Wont hurt us I reckon. Got to expect a bit of that in our situation. Half a season into a 4-5 year rebuild.

Wont do any harm at all. It wasn't a real thrashing after all.

Yes - there's not much point looking for this highlight or that low light. Clearly the heroics of the last few weeks have taken their toll- every player, to a man, looked stuffed.

The arrival of the bye is very timely.

Looking back over the last few weeks, I'd much rather a win over the Cats and a loss to these boys, rather than the other way round. At this stage, that's a real scalp.

EDIT : also, the Saints aren't really that bad, despite their outs. And spare a thought for Ed Curnow.

Reply #39
At least Sturt beat Port  ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #40
The team put in their worst performance of the year. everyone is entitled to put in a stinker but the bigger picture is I am delighted that perhaps some players will be phased out by end of year.

replacing graham with sumner in the middle was dumb. sumner is overrated a little and needs to stay in the forward line applying pressure, I do not rate him not ahead of graham as a two way mid anyway.

delighted at the prospect of phasing out everitt, walker, white for jaksch, silvagni and curnow

Reply #41
Looking back over the last few weeks, I'd much rather a win over the Cats and a loss to these boys, rather than the other way round. At this stage, that's a real scalp.

Nup - disagree......losing to the Saints totally cancels-out beating Geelong. Give me an honourable loss to a renowned gun team & then beat the teams around/below us everyday of the week (if I had the choice).

And spare a thought for Ed Curnow.

Why? He was arguably our worst/most ineffective player out there today.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #42
We wouldn't have won a game all year if we played the way we played today.

Wouldn't have beaten an u/15 girls' team.....

The Carlton of old returned - couple of wins our lads get ahead of themselves.

Bolton well outcoached too....they flooded, flooded and flooded - and nothing was done to counter it....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
Nup - disagree......losing to the Saints totally cancels-out beating Geelong. Give me an honourable loss to a renowned gun team & then beat the teams around/below us everyday of the week (if I had the choice).

Why? He was arguably our worst/most ineffective player out there today.

Agree to disagree on the Cats / Saints.

It was Ed's 100th. Would've bee nice to get a win for him.

Reply #44
We wouldn't have won a game all year if we played the way we played today.

Wouldn't have beaten an u/15 girls' team.....

The Carlton of old returned - couple of wins our lads get ahead of themselves.

Bolton well outcoached too....they flooded, flooded and flooded - and nothing was done to counter it....

Players were rooted before they even got on the park.

No running to tackle - why ? Because they were stuffed

No running to create options when in possession - why ? Because they were stuffed

No running into F50 - why ? Because they were stuffed

No chasing players like Jack Steven - why ? Because they were stuffed

Defensive structure in the back half failing - why ? Because they were stuffed

I don't think they got big heads at all.