Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
West Coast got pumped by Gold Coast....

It's been a very weird year.

Even discounting the deplorable first quarter, we should have won that in a canter but for terrible kicking.

The kicking at goal, from relatively easy positions, in benign conditions, was below sub standard.

Our midfield was down, Pittonet aside (terrific debut), and our forward line was a mess, ditto the delivery I50.

We'll improve markedly from that effort.

Of bigger concern was a lot of our guys looked to be holding back/waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting.

Unacceptable at this level.

Would be getting McGovern's eyes checked - he missed a lot of marks by a wide margin, despite being in a great position to mark.

Bad news for Newman, obviously. But great that Willo can now come in...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
Setterfield had been a bitter disappointment.   Ditto Kennedy and the rest of the acquired midfielders. 

The drafted midfielders need to step up as well.   Somebody needs to grab the ring,  or too be frank,  time to piss them off and get a new batch in.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #62
The biggest issue we just cant overcome was again on show yesterday - Had the match on our terms for the last 3 quarters when Cripps goal got us to one point down it at that stage the game was our to lose. They were on there knees waiting for the knockout punch but we have no one who can deliver it.

If rolls were swapped yesterday I can tell you Melbourne would have kicked the last goal to take the points.

I reckon I can think of 10 times in the last 2 years we had games in the last quarter that was ours to take but we fail time and time again.  Our culture is a losing one and has been for the that long its now ingrained.

Reply #63
Solutions?
- Martin to a wing (wasted up forward) YES
- Murphy forward (he’s clever)
- SPS into the middle which is why we drafted him. YES
- Curnow to be instructed not to kick into 50 (handpass off or go sideways if need be) YES
- one of Silvagni or Kennedy plus Gibbons to help Cripps as extra inside miss, with players like SPS, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, Philp, Cunningham to finish.
- Lang, Newnes, Setterfield to prove themselves in lower leagues subject to our VFL form YES

Murphy gets one more chance, just doesn't give enough.

Setters out. Pathetic.

Lang was ok but SOJ or Kennedy better by some margin.

Newnes injured? O'Brien the obvious replacement.

Philp in too - some outside zing is needed.

Our defensive midfield effort is a disgrace.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64
It's hardly the Monopoly "get out of jail card" in such an idiotic ill considered season but it should have presented the opportunity to at least correct some of the failings and stamp the head coach's authority.  We have too many "mini managers" masquerading and taking a pay cheque under false pretences.    

Reply #65
The biggest issue we just cant overcome was again on show yesterday - Had the match on our terms for the last 3 quarters when Cripps goal got us to one point down it at that stage the game was our to lose. They were on there knees waiting for the knockout punch but we have no one who can deliver it.

If rolls were swapped yesterday I can tell you Melbourne would have kicked the last goal to take the points.

I reckon I can think of 10 times in the last 2 years we had games in the last quarter that was ours to take but we fail time and time again.  Our culture is a losing one and has been for the that long its now ingrained.

Our three big forwards need to sort out a system.

Harry looked rusty, the Guv just stuffs up too much presently.

Our forward 6 looked squashed up, there was no space....plenty of talent there but wasn't working at all yesterday.

Won the I50 count easily....

Everyone knows we should have won that game yesterday, even after Q1.

It's on out leadership group to step up. That where tight games get won....

Cripps can't do it every week.

Weiters was very, very good.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66

Setters out. Pathetic.

You have changed your thoughts Fly?

Wasn't Setterfield, Lang and Newnes going to be the answers to our midfield depth issues. We just keep swapping one dud for another. 

Will be another big broom go thru the place end of this year 

Reply #67

I agree 100%. But I think last night we just ran our of time. I'm not in any way suggesting that everything is hunky dory -   there's still problems that need fixing, and there still pieces of the puzzle missing, but we had them on toast.

That final step of a winning mindset is the hardest to achieve. We were in the lead in the 4th in 4 games of Bolton's 2019 season, and just couldn't get it done. We can still see the same issue now. I say it's partly youth, partly self belief, partly questionable skills, partly decision making, partly kicking for goal. It will come, but not nearly as soon as we all want IMO.

Reply #68

Setters out. Pathetic.

Not sure about O'brien helping much, rather try Philp and get Williamson back in.
Might try Mcgovern down back and get Jack back in to play forward.
Also think about Kennedy to play down forward on Stewart who tears us a new one most games as no one
picks him up and its stupid how many easy kicks he gets.
Our scouting and pre planning is also horrendous, how many times do we see the same opposition players
playing well year after year against us and we dont do anything different.

Reply #69
You have changed your thoughts Fly?

Wasn't Setterfield, Lang and Newnes going to be the answers to our midfield depth issues. We just keep swapping one dud for another. 

Will be another big broom go thru the place end of this year 

Lang was never an answer as a mid and I doubt I ever said as such....i can see why they picked him up (what 3 years ago now?) but he's had injuries and simply doesn't do enough now. Philp for him is a no brainer.

But, why hasn't had been given a crack in the guts?

The other two simply aren't getting their job done....still have high hopes for Setters, Newnes always just a soldier but didn't even do that last night.

That said, all of them were off the pace for a lot of it last night.

Who's our midfield coach? Big, big FAIL.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #70
Lang was never an answer as a mid and I doubt I ever said as such....i can see why they picked him up (what 3 years ago now?) but he's had injuries and simply doesn't do enough now. Philp for him is a no brainer.

But, why hasn't had been given a crack in the guts?

The other two simply aren't getting their job done....still have high hopes for Setters, Newnes always just a soldier but didn't even do that last night.

That said, all of them were off the pace for a lot of it last night.

Who's our midfield coach? Big, big FAIL.

Clarkson wouldnt be able to help our midfield group.

You need the players to be able to coach them.

Apart from Walsh and Cripps the rest are not ready or most never will be.

Said it countless times you can’t keep selecting players other teams are throwing out and expect them to be the answer.

A blind man could see where we needed a massive boost and SOS never got it done. 

So glad we have someone else this trade period.

Reply #71
I realise it's foolish to try and be cheery in a losing post match thread, but take away that first q, and it's not all doom and gloom. We won the 2nd, 3rd and 4th q, had more scoring shots, more I50's, and frankly looked the better team for most of the match. Yes, it's only Melbourne, but if one of those behinds goes straight.................

I think that’s the issue Paul; we were the better team in terms of last season’s ladder position, strength on paper and our performance for two thirds of the game.  Even though we could have put a stronger team on the park, our lack of intensity and inability to play to a losing ruckman at the start of the game was inexcusable.  Surely Teague, Barker and Stanton would have prepared for Gawn having a picnic  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
I think that’s the issue Paul; we were the better team in terms of last season’s ladder position, strength on paper and our performance for two thirds of the game.  Even though we could have put a stronger team on the park, our lack of intensity and inability to play to a losing ruckman at the start of the game was inexcusable.  Surely Teague, Barker and Stanton would have prepared for Gawn having a picnic  ::)

You can have all the plans in the world, but you can't execute the plan on the players' behalf. You can be quite certain the coaching group understood the ruck disparity and understood what Gawn can do, and I have no doubt that they planned for a few things, including rucking to his tap outs. But if the players don't get it, refuse to do it, or simply can't do it, there's little a coach can do IMO.

Reply #73
Hopeless. Seriously hopeless. Cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. I see us plodding along through to another spoon this year. Then going through the motions to getting a couple of more wins next year after which time Cripps leaves us as a free agent to pursue a flag with WC. That will leave us shattered again for another decade before we inevitably try another rebuild.
From yesterday;
1. The club is seriously taking the P1ZZ out of every member at the CFC if they are seriously suggesting Darcy Lang is worthy of a spot in our best 22.
2. Murphy cannot play forward folks. They tried that last year before Teague took over and he was next to useless. He played much better when Teague put him back on the ball. Unfortunately he is giving us very little this year and I fear he is going back to his old ways. Lot's of touches of little value.
3. SPS. As bad a start from an individual as I've ever seen. Got better but he has zero physicality. Can't see him playing on the ball. Not tough enough.
4. Ghosts, Setterfield and Newnes.  Although, was Newnes tagging someone.
5. Weitering our best by far.
6. Ed took care of Petracca after getting the job. We just need to set him that job every week and nothing more.
7. McGovern. What a waste. Another CFC failure.
8. Sam Walsh had an average game and actually could have won it for us. With a 1:13 to go he kicks to McKay in a 2 on 1 which resulted in a free kick against. Then with just over a minute to go he had a kick to Jack Martin 20 metres out (or even Levi on the outside, 40 metres out) and unbelievably miss-kicked it straight onto Lever's chest. Can't go too hard on the boy, but there's the game right there.
9. Martin, great pick-up for nothing. I'd give him more of a run on the ball.
10. Pittonet. Not bad against the 2nd best ruck in the business and wasn't his fault our midfield are dopey MF's
11. Kicking at goal. At no stage do I think we will convert. Regardless of distance out or angle on goal. The miss by McGovern I could have kicked. He didn't even score. HE DIDN'T EVEN SCORE.
12. Backline good. Foward line average. Midfiled poor.

We'll be competitive against Geelong and lose but 30 or so points and lament that the effort against Geelong would have been enough to beat Melbourne by 5 goals.

Reply #74
The other thing that needs to be said is that the opposition has now had a good look at Teague, and his coaching ideas, structures, set ups etc. Clearly they've done their homework, and the shock of the new is now history.