Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong (Read 10022 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Covid-19 or no, I feel very ripped off with this fixture. having to play games in Geelong when we can't play them at Ikon is ... not satisfactory. Not in the least. Just another of those anti-Carlton things that have become a part of the AFL.

On the playing front, Geelong played well against Hawthorn.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Reply #1
We will get smashed by 10 goals plus at KP against Dads Army
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Covid-19 or no, I feel very ripped off with this fixture. having to play games in Geelong when we can't play them at Ikon is ... not satisfactory. Not in the least. Just another of those anti-Carlton things that have become a part of the AFL.

On the playing front, Geelong played well against Hawthorn.

It will probably cost them more money playing at their stadium than it would us travelling there.

Its a blessing in disguise.

Reply #3
If we can channel some of the 2nd half stuff into the 1st half, we are a chance. Their rucks are not a patch on Gawn. However, our midfield really needs to be working for 4 quarters.
To be honest, I can't see us doing it, but we are not without a chance. But we have to squash their ball winners. We don't do that enough.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
In  Williamson Silvagni Philps
Out Lang Newman Newnes

Reply #5
Get the vaseline ready...

Reply #6
Its gonna be ugly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
Play like the whorks did and we'll get smashed.

Hope Teague watched the game, pretty clear that springing straight down the ground from half back is the key.  Tagging/playing close to Selwood and Ablett is key.   The cats key forwards suck, it's their smaller crew that cut you up.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
Play like the whorks did and we'll get smashed.

Hope Teague watched the game, pretty clear that springing straight down the ground from half back is the key.  Tagging/playing close to Selwood and Ablett is key.   The cats key forwards suck, it's their smaller crew that cut you up.
I can tell you what will happen if you like:
We will be asleep for the first qtr, they will kick 8 goals, we will half wake up in the 2nd and kick 2 to their 5. We ill play ok for the 3rd and 4th, lose but everyone will be happy with an honourable loss because its in Geel.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
By the time we wake up and realise we are playing in a game of footy it will be pretty much game over.  >:(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
If we can channel some of the 2nd half stuff into the 1st half, we are a chance. Their rucks are not a patch on Gawn. However, our midfield really needs to be working for 4 quarters.
To be honest, I can't see us doing it, but we are not without a chance. But we have to squash their ball winners. We don't do that enough.
  Can i please have some of what you are smoking?

Reply #11
In  Williamson Silvagni Philps
Out Lang Newman Newnes
Newnes wasn't too bad once he'd settled in around his team mates, at least he has a crack.

Lang, he leaves guys like Martin, Gibbons and Betts to smash themselves on the inside and takes the cheap outside football, which leaves him as a luxury we cannot afford!

Not sure the McKay, McGovern, Casboult thing is going to work, none of them are much use close to goal and we get cleaned up on the last line of defense over and over again. SoJ would be nice to have in the forward pocket.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Hate cats with a passion. They have been up as long as we have been down. They are as professional and well drilled team as their is in the comp.

We are at the other end of the scale.

Even if we play well they will comfortably account for us.

If we don’t come to play they will hammer us.

Reply #13
Cats are OK at best,  they seem better than they are because they play that ground ridiculously well and clubs get lost there.
Their rucks suck,  they have no key forwards and they rely on brilliant individuals and an incredibly efficient defensive unit.  

Make their defence accountable,  don't turn the ball over coming out of defence like the whorks and watch their small forwards closely and they'll struggle, but we won't do any of these things.   I'll call it now,  Weeters will be BOG and Jones will take 14 marks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
Need to stop Stewart getting 30 possies at full back and not play bozo's on their second string mids like Duncan who actually do a lot more damage than their big names.
Got some big improvers in players like Parfitt too...it will be players like Myers who kick goals as our smaller defenders don't man up at all. Cripps will have another hard game with Cam Guthrie hanging off him all day... Guthrie gets a bit of ball too so Cripps will need some help.
We should improve and maybe surprise with Betts and Martin capable of winning us the game. Cats might be over confident, can only hope and try and stay positive..