Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong (Read 10021 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Reply #15
Well, we've lost another one for the season (Newman), which hurts our defence.
It might give Williamson a chance to make a spot his.
But our #1 aim has to be stopping Geelong's midfield, without which they have little.
Other clubs have taggers: look at Matt de Boer. De Boer is one of the best in the business. Where are our taggers?
The only we have is Ed Curnow and he isn't doing a tagging job much any more. Stick him on Gablett: keep the bugger honest.
I'd love to be able to play Murphy in a forward pocket. But where are the next generation of mids to get the ball out of the middle?
We have a few guys who really need to have a good look at themselves.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Danger and Selwood and the Golden Sun Moth get all the kudos,  but Duncan is a very, very damaging player.  Stewart is another,  I expect JSOS' role will be to keep him honest.

I'd give express instructions to go very hard on Cripps'minder....hello Pittonet after the bounce...and to really serve it up to their big three,  none of whom like any attention. Why was Selwood by himself all night versus the Whorks?     If Dangerflog starts squealing,  they're in trouble.    Selwood gets frees anyway,  may as well make him earn it.

Taylor and Zac crap themselves if they have to defend.... So make them defend!

I reckon the cats are the most over rated outfit in the league, we can do this.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
We won't finish within 10 goals of them

Reply #18
Danger and Selwood and the Golden Sun Moth get all the kudos,  but Duncan is a very, very damaging player.  Stewart is another,  I expect JSOS' role will be to keep him honest.

I'd give express instructions to go very hard on Cripps'minder....hello Pittonet after the bounce...and to really serve it up to their big three,  none of whom like any attention. Why was Selwood by himself all night versus the Whorks?     If Dangerflog starts squealing,  they're in trouble.    Selwood gets frees anyway,  may as well make him earn it.

Taylor and Zac crap themselves if they have to defend.... So make them defend!

I reckon the cats are the most over rated outfit in the league, we can do this.
Proff I agree the Cats list is overrated and aging. But they are well coached in the sense that they will not underestimate Carlton and wait until the 2nd qtr to start playing. They will take advantage of the home ground advantage and give them an absolute  hiding. What will you all say if Carlton starts the game with a scoreless first qtr?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Based upon the last round we will be absolutely nailed to the cross. I am filled with dread. Continuing the religious theme I hope my prayers are answered and we find salvation.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
Based upon the last round we will be absolutely nailed to the cross. I am filled with dread. Continuing the religious theme I hope my prayers are answered and we find salvation.
You could not ask for a worse fixture given Carltons predicament.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21

Not sure the McKay, McGovern, Casboult thing is going to work, none of them are much use close to goal and we get cleaned up on the last line of defense over and over again. SoJ would be nice to have in the forward pocket.

I'd like to see us going back to junior footy. Have at least 2 of those guys starting in the goal square and making runs at 45 degrees and 90 degrees... Over and over again. Higher workrate, and give the midfielders a target every time the ball is coming forward. The defence either runs with us leaving the 3rd tall deep to either mark, or knock the ball down to one of the smalls or we get a mark on the lead.
I still dont think our forwards work hard enough inside 50.

Reply #22
We won't finish within 10 goals of them

That sounds about what the half time result will be. God help us by the final siren.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #23
Newman will be out.
Lang needs to be dropped, as does Newnes: they simply do not put enough pressure on their opponents.
Setters needs to produce, or he'll get dropped. He doesn't look urgent enough and he doesn't put enough pressure on.
I'd like to see more from Betts, H, Levi, Plowman & Cuningham. I'd like to 4 quarters from McGovern, Martin and Simmo. And I'd like to see a 100% fit Cripps (getting a few frees).

O'Brien and Stocker have to be close after decent performances in the midfield for the 2's.
Willo has be a good chance to replace Newman, whose drive we missed.
Philp must also be a chance with good possessions and 7 tackles.

I would like to bring de Koning in, but we con't do that with our present forward structure. We be too big and not mobile enough. As it is, he'll probably play in the 2's where he will be the only ruck we have.
Jack Silvagni must also be chance, as he does provide pressure and can play a defensive mid game.

Last week showed a number of things to really need to address this year:
[1] Intensity towards the ball:
At the moment, we don't appear to have the desperation or to put the pressure on that a top team does. We need to work on that a lot.
[2] Ruck:
We have a big weakness here. Pittonet did a great job, but he was killed early. He is going to play games for us for some time. However, he isn't the guy to dominate. We need a top ruckman and we don't have one.
[3] Midfield:
Our midfield is still a work in process. We have some bodies, but I think we may trade a few of them if they don't step up soon. We were really thumped there last weekend. There have been talks about Wines: he would be a good get.
We also need another top stopper, a guy like de Boer. At the moment we have only 1 negative mid, Ed Curnow, and he can't play on everybody.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Newman will be out.
Lang needs to be dropped, as does Newnes: they simply do not put enough pressure on their opponents.
Setters needs to produce, or he'll get dropped. He doesn't look urgent enough and he doesn't put enough pressure on.
I'd like to see more from Betts, H, Levi, Plowman & Cuningham. I'd like to 4 quarters from McGovern, Martin and Simmo. And I'd like to see a 100% fit Cripps (getting a few frees).

O'Brien and Stocker have to be close after decent performances in the midfield for the 2's.

I would like to bring de Koning in, but we con't do that with our present forward structure. We be too big and not mobile enough. As it is, he'll probably play in the 2's where he will be the only ruck we have.
Jack Silvagni must also be chance, as he does provide pressure and can play a defensive mid game.

At the moment, we don't appear to have the desperation or to put the pressure on that a top team does. We need to work on that a lot.
[2] Ruck:
We have a big weakness here. Pittonet did a great job, but he was killed early. He is going to play games for us for some time. However, he isn't the guy to dominate. We need a top ruckman and we don't have one.
[3] Midfield:
Our midfield is still a work in process. We have some bodies, but I think we may trade a few of them if they don't step up soon. We were really thumped there last weekend. There have been talks about Wines: he would be a good get.
We also need another top stopper, a guy like de Boer. At the moment we have only 1 negative mid, Ed Curnow, and he can't play on everybody.

Nice post and agree with it, although would like to see OBrien and Stocker back up their performance one more time.

Unfortunately you can’t teach intensity at the ball, so the drums are really beating for Setterfield whose time is now, not next year. Ditto SPS.

Williamson is surely a lock out of the backline this week to replace Newman and I’d also really like to see Silvagni in the team to bolster our inside midfield.

Murphy forward.

Reply #25
Newman will be out.

[2] Ruck:
[3] Midfield:

Good stuff, Capt CRASH.

Like you I have concerns over some individuals and their 'mental toughness' and they'd be in the 'last chance' category... last chance to deliver some authority, some intensity and some influence. Cuningham, Setterfield and Lang chief among them. Stuffed if I can see, thus far, why we recruited Newnes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
Good stuff, Capt CRASH.

Like you I have concerns over some individuals and their 'mental toughness' and they'd be in the 'last chance' category... last chance to deliver some authority, some intensity and some influence. Cuningham, Setterfield and Lang chief among them. Stuffed if I can see, thus far, why we recruited Newnes.
I was scratching my head at the time, and the more I see of him, the more that decision dumbfounds me. If he had a standout quality, I might understand. But he doesn't. Vanilla ordinaire.

I know I should get behind our guys, but we don't need list cloggers. We need to develop our players and teach them what is necessary to win. We don't appear to do that, and haven't this century.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Ruck is an even bigger problem this week, not because the Cats rucks are better but because they are ultra-mobile.

Gawn is aerobic and clever but he's not quick, Pittonet could still follow him around the ground.

Cats have Stanley, Blicavs and Ratugolea that they rotate through the ruck, they are not Gawn but Pittonet won't keep pace with any of them.

Winning the midfield will be ultra-critical this week, and we are up against the likes of Selwood and The Popsicle Dangerfield so it's hard to see how we can win this game.

btw., Almost 100% certainty Dangerfield will dump one or more of our mids in a revenge tackle for Burgoyne treatment of him last week, and be cleared of any wrong doing, he's a playground bully that picks on those who are passive! But do not be surprised that if we retaliate one of our guys gets the book thrown at them, what odds Cripps?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
btw., Almost 100% certainty Dangerfield will dump one or more of our mids in a revenge tackle for Burgoyne treatment of him last week, and be cleared of any wrong doing, he's a playground bully that picks on those who are passive! But do not be surprised that if we retaliate one of our guys gets the book thrown at them, what odds Cripps?
But LP they've changed the rules because of that tackle?? No longer be able to get away with it. Cannot imagine the AFL letting anyone get away with it and certainly not Danger.

Reply #29
But LP they've changed the rules because of that tackle?? No longer be able to get away with it. Cannot imagine the AFL letting anyone get away with it and certainly not Danger.
 Very funny, that gave me a great belly laugh! :D
The Force Awakens!