Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong (Read 10028 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Reply #30
Jake Niall in the age has written a report about the lack of tackling by Carlton in the first quarters. Intensity is the  key. Geelong has good but front running mid-field, their back line is solid but can be taken apart if the ball enters quickly into their opponents forward line, and their forwards are a bunch of names put together like a quilt and only functions if the mid-field is on top. This is why they keep getting cleaned up in the finals by good teams. We need to make an absolute raging contest from the first bounce, if we do that we might find Geelong out.

Reply #31
Jake Niall in the age has written a report about the lack of tackling by Carlton in the first quarters. Intensity is the  key. Geelong has good but front running mid-field, their back line is solid but can be taken apart if the ball enters quickly into their opponents forward line, and their forwards are a bunch of names put together like a quilt and only functions if the mid-field is on top. This is why they keep getting cleaned up in the finals by good teams. We need to make an absolute raging contest from the first bounce, if we do that we might find Geelong out.
Go back and watch the replay yourself, you'll find Carlton players getting first to the ball but not being clean on the pickup and getting pegged by the Dees. Then the Dees are very clean, and break away leaving nobody to tackle, it distorted the stats and blaming tackling hides the real problem.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Go back and watch the replay yourself, you'll find Carlton players getting first to the ball but not being clean on the pickup and getting pegged by the Dees. Then the Dees are very clean, and break away leaving nobody to tackle, it distorted the stats and blaming tackling hides the real problem.

What you're saying is true IMO - all facets of the game are interdependent, and the stats can only be interpreted correctly in relation to the actual game, and in relation to understanding footy in some vaguely holistic way.

Reply #33
In  Williamson Silvagni Philps
Out Lang Newman Newnes

I'd be very curious to know how we can properly assess the form of those not playing seniors without a proper VFL team. These scratch matches don't really fill me with much hope to be honest.

Reply #34
Going to (potentially) very wet Saturday.

Three talls + SOJ up forward top heavy?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
Going to (potentially) very wet Saturday.

Three talls + SOJ up forward top heavy?

SOJ to the midfield.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
SOJ to the midfield.
SOJ, like his father, relishes wet weather footy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37

Intensity - exactamundo. And that's above the shoulders, that's attitude. Too often we start games trying to finesse... now where does that instruction (and lack of intent) come from?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
Playing against the Cats at their  irregular Kardina Park is really unfair, we'll be crunched unfortunately, a top 4 side with home ground advantage is the cruel reality.    

Reply #39
Playing against the Cats at their  irregular Kardina Park is really unfair, we'll be crunched unfortunately, a top 4 side with home ground advantage is the cruel reality.    
I'm surprised its $1.14 v $5.50 with the line at 27.5. 11 odd goal flogging last year IIRC, they will be doing well to get within that I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
Ruck is an even bigger problem this week, not because the Cats rucks are better but because they are ultra-mobile.

We could unleash the king this week, which would help in that area.

But it could make us too top heavy.....especially if it is as wet as predicted.

Drop Gov for TDK?

Reply #41
I'm surprised its $1.14 v $5.50 with the line at 27.5. 11 odd goal flogging last year IIRC, they will be doing well to get within that I reckon.
We always get flogged last game. Year before down there it was a close one. Bar that game last year when we switched off for the year, no matter who we play we don't get flogged by anyone under Teague. So far that's included Richmond twice and the Eagles. Richmond both times got close after we gave away a massive headstart. They're better than Geelong. It's not that we are going badly generally, often going well, we are just going badly early and it's costing us.

Reply #42
Covid-19 or no, I feel very ripped off with this fixture. having to play games in Geelong when we can't play them at Ikon is ... not satisfactory. Not in the least. Just another of those anti-Carlton things that have become a part of the AFL.

On the playing front, Geelong played well against Hawthorn.

They did but like any first match some side seems more ready to go than others. Hawthorn mostly likely ran out of puff. When a side is shot it's very easy to end up winning by a big margin. It's was very close before then.

Reply #43
We could unleash the king this week, which would help in that area.

But it could make us too top heavy.....especially if it is as wet as predicted.

Drop Gov for TDK?

Possibly. Like what De Koning offers and he certainly more than matched Grundy in the pre season game. Rucks as well as being able to play forward.

Reply #44
I worry about putting De Koning in the ruck.  He has the height but must be giving away 20kg in weight to the likes of Gawn etc. My concern is that as he tires he'll be pushed aside and have little impact in a game. 

I haven't seen him this year but have had the impression he will not bulk up as he ages and will always have a light frame.

Would we be better off developing him as a forward position player?