Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Party!: AFL 2020 Rd 3: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11566 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Party!: AFL 2020 Rd 3: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
Glad to sneak that win against one of the most arrogant teams in the comp coached by one of the most pompus coaches.
Geelong had their chances as we stopped to a walk but justice prevailed and it was very satisfying to win.
Pittonet has exceeded expectations and should remain No 1 ruckman even if Kruezer returns, the way he can stand his ground and fend off the opposing rucks while directing the ball has been a real bonus.

Dangerfield only fired in the last quarter and Ablett and the sooky Selwood gave them nothing..
Backline was steady with Weitering in command of Hawkins and Docherty also led the defense well, only player who probably lowered his colours was Plowman who found Rohan too quick and strong in the air but he is a difficult opponent when on and hard to find a matchup for.
I thought it was down forward we got a very even contribution with smalls Eddie, Murphy, Gibbons all in the action at different times and Levi was probably our best tall forward for the 4 quarters as as well as being handy on the ball. Harry did some good things but didnt finish his work and McGovern gave us a nice burst where he kicked a couple of goals, set up another but then went missing for the rest of the match.
Martin and Cuningham were handy and Cripps was the best midfielder on the park, Ed did his job on Selwood...Stevens like I thought was out of touch and more of a liability and it served Scott right for playing him and resting Parfitt.
Like to backup next week and beat Essendon, hopefully they are allowed to play and we wallop them...dont want this Geelong win to be a one off and then we go back to routine and lose a couple. We need to play and continue this kickstart to the season...

Reply #31
From Dylan Buckley's twitter

Reply #32
EB, I left Pitto out of my assessment, only because, with ruckmen, I like to see a body of work over time. Having said that, he's been terrific so far.

Reply #33
From Dylan Buckley's twitter

That's a cracker 🤣
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #34
Good to get a win. From a leading position too. Betts contributed like the Betts of old and it is hard to find a player that had a poor game. Away from home is a good win, and I liked what I saw today. Especially Pittonet. Thought he might lack games to have much impact on the game, and after watching him there is enough to like. Great recruiting getting him in the squad.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #35
EB, I left Pitto out of my assessment, only because, with ruckmen, I like to see a body of work over time. Having said that, he's been terrific so far.
Fair point DB, I like a few others are probably excited by having a more strong arm ruckman who can give us some presence and make a few of our blokes walk taller.
He will need to backup each week and keep being consistent but I think the hand over from Kreuzer to Pittonet needs to be permanent and midfield/stoppage plans to be designed around Pittonet's ruck style.

Reply #36
So happy we hung on. Great win, made even sweeter that it'll stick it right up two of the all time great condescending Carlton haters, Ling and Brownless.

Reply #37
Loved the work off Pitto. Great to have a ruckman who palms it off.
  Wrapped to win.  Reality is though, we had quite a few players down and we were a bit 'lucky'.   Lucky, because they were only able to make 57 interchanges to our 87 due to their two injured mids/fwds who took little part in the game.   Obviously we came to play and they didn't early, which means we 'deserved' to win, but I'm not getting to carried away.  The stats tell a different story.  We had 8 players under 10 possessions and that will not get it done on a constant basis.   While I'm happy and of course wrapped to take 4 points from them, I hope it doesn't paper over the cracks.   We still need to get alot better, but hopefully some belief will grow from this and lead to more achievements in the future.  Up the navies!

Reply #38
Yup I got it very wrong, called it  a bad loss, my bad.
Great effort by the boys, yes we were very lucky and Martin and Eddie in crucial moments were just superb today. Hope the positive momentum continues.
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
I simply cannot fault the first three qtrs, no mistakes, run and carry, pin point passes, tackling like men possessed, hardness like I havent seen before, small fwds getting out the back, two way gut running, no passengers, a hamburger with the lot. To a man, they took it  right up to the Handbagger Bullyboys on their own dungheap like no has in a very long time. Injuries or not, they simply couldnt stop Carlton no matter what they tried. I posted in the in game that at Half time, Scott absolutely gave it to the Holy Trinity in the sheds, Fatblett looked like he was about to start crying, Scott looked like he was going to have a stroke delivering that spray. I just smiled. Whilst the 4th qtr was disappointing, they had done enough work to keep their noses in front which was pleasing. As for Eddie? Could have had 5 but instead was the the consummate team man, he marshaled that fwd line to perfection. That left foot pass to Murph, who had three defenders bearing down on him, was sublime. I had two Haw mates text me thanking Carlton for beating Geelong, one said "If your mob could put together 4 qtrs like that every week, you would beat everyone". So thats the challenge, those first 3 qtrs were the benchmark.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
That @#%$! for 16 min qtrs. That was nerve racking.

The last quarter went for over 25 minutes....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
Only 3 players with 0 tackles, Gibbo (surprisingly), Levi and Weiters.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Great win.

For 3 quarters, Geelong followed that famous dictum that 80% of success is showing up. Just treated it as a training drill. Very cocky and arrogant and paid the price. When they stopped farting around, they are still a good football side.

We were in a sense, saved by the bell, and it's bloody nice to have time on our side for a change. Shame we didn't have this in a couple of early games last season.

Our fortunes are still too closely linked to Cripps' performance. When he fires, so do we. He was super last night.

Marco Pittoneto (let's call una vanga una vanga), is a good competitor - against all but the elite rucks, he will give a real contest. Nice body of work so far.

And I guess playing the kids en masse is now well and truly a thing of the past ?

Reply #43
Some of our ball use is still very scrappy. Plenty of room for improvement.

Reply #44
Just watching it now - Hawthorn showed us the way - put pressure, constantly, on your opponents and they are as ordinary as the next team.

Pittonet - never ever going to make it as a #1 ruck.  ::)  ::)

Terrific team effort. Should give them a lot of heart and belief.

And still a few who can improve a lot in terms of output eg Big H., samo, Setters.

Looking forward to seeing that smug coach from Geelong!
Finals, then 4 in a row!