Skip to main content
Topic: Which of our new players should play in the NAB Challenge? (Read 14527 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Which of our new players should play in the NAB Challenge?

Reply #15
Everitt hands down, this guy has gears people have not seen yet!

Settle ..... !!

Let's hope he is a serviceable player for us first of, not an instant superstar.

With Eddie gone we may struggle to kick goals, if Reynolds or Johnson could show something in the NAB cup they might get promoted ahead of Wood into Duigans now vacant spot.
I really like the look of Reynolds.....raking left foot kick and kicks them from a long way, we need his type of player for variety and accuracy in front of goal.
Menzel is similar and I have high hopes he can stand up and cement a place this year but I reckon Reynolds could be a weapon along the lines of Brad Pearce..

Reply #16
Everitt hands down, this guy has gears people have not seen yet!

Settle ..... !!

Let's hope he is a serviceable player for us first of, not an instant superstar.

With Eddie gone we may struggle to kick goals, if Reynolds or Johnson could show something in the NAB cup they might get promoted ahead of Wood into Duigans now vacant spot.
I really like the look of Reynolds.....raking left foot kick and kicks them from a long way, we need his type of player for variety and accuracy in front of goal.
Menzel is similar and I have high hopes he can stand up and cement a place this year but I reckon Reynolds could be a weapon along the lines of Brad Pearce..

I agree. Like Reynolds and Johnson. Reynolds could go far.

I reckon with Eddie leaving this opens up a spot for more of a multi-position type of small/medium, or a group of, with guys squarely in the frame to partner Garlett including - Graham, Yarran, Murphy, Gibbs, Judd and Lucas. Buckley might get a go and also Reynolds and/or Johnson but like Menzel they are forwards only at this stage. The man I think that might get a gig as a forward is Kane Lucas. Nick Graham will push hard and even Pat Cripps might spend some time forward. Sam Docherty I wouldn't be surprised to see there at some point with his nice skills and good kicking.

I think as good as Eddie is both he and Garlett were small forwards only. I really think we missed an opportunity a few years back to make Eddie a forward/mid and not just a permanent forward. Nevertheless, more flexibility is MM's mantra. Yarran can go back, forward and even into the middle or a wing with good effect. Multi-positional players are the go and the likes of permanent small forwards, or too many together, might not be by the sounds of it.

Resting rucks up forward (MK, Rowe, Cas) and mids (Murphy, Judd, Gibbs, Graham, Cripps, Thomas, McLean, etc) along with 'switch-hitters' or impact types (Walker, Everitt, Henderson, Yarran, White, Watson, Rowe, Waite, Giles) up forward will be our go.

Reply #17
Settle ..... !!

Nah, Everett can go straight to the mantle in the Billiard room. He is going to be the real deal provided he settles in, and will be a Superstar in the likeness of a Peter Dean / Hyphen love child.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Thomas and Cripps to play R1 and the majority of the season. The others to play bit parts at best, but offer much needed depth and versatility.
We don't typically get alot from our first drafted kids from the get go.

True, but i think Cripps is different. He has a mans body already and a love of the contest. Typically, they are 2 things that most kids need to develop once drafted.

Reply #19
Everitt surely a walk up start given what he offers to the team as a swingman?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
We are lucky to have new players like Thomas, Dockerty and Everett. They should walk into the team.
One could expect Casboult, Ellard, Graham and Menzel to be influential this year.
The list is much better in 2014, better balance and we can expect the team mix to evolve to be quite different to 2013.
MickM's second year. It i will be a good year for the Blues !

Reply #21
The mood of the meeting seems to be that Cripps has gone past Graham, yet Graham looked like he belonged at times last year, ripped them in the twos, and now has a full preseason behind him.  So far, we've seen nothing on Cripps (except U18 video clips) on half a preseason.

I'd be backing Graham at the moment for the first half of the year at least unless Cripps does the remarkable in his NAB appearances.

Cripps is bigger and bigger is the flavour of the season in mids....Graham is a good ball winner but needs to do more with his disposals and lacks a yard of pace.
Doesnt have much depth by foot and tends to go short too often...I'd like to see him use his hands more and maybe look at Sam Mitchell who initially was a poor kick and relied on handball but then worked on his kicking and is now one of the best players on his no preferred in the comp. Mitchells use of the ball by hand also overcame his lack of pace, slow in the legs but fast in the brain.
Graham has a good footy brain and will make the grade with some hard work.

Reply #22

I agree after all why else would MM have flown up to secure him. He has a role to play for sure.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #23
Johnathon Giles

I am expecting us to finally have recruited a key position player that will be the pick of the bunch in this draft largely because the expectations are small, and no one has rated him that highly.

He is a good size already and fairly athletic so I dont see why he cant be the surprise packet.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24

I agree after all why else would MM have flown up to secure him. He has a role to play for sure.

Not to mention he's even 1cm taller than Jamo!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25

The role Mick didn't like Laidler or Duigan playing?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Bit of a difference between Everitt and Duigan and Laidler.

Everitt stands tallest. Everitt also has leg speed.

Just as a point of reference, Everitt and Jarrad Waite are the same height, whilst Everitt is more Andrew Walker than key position player.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
If Everitt can play body on body with his man it will get Walker the defensive liability out of our defensive 50m and allow him to play to his strengths up forward.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #28
If Everitt can play body on body with his man it will get Walker the defensive liability out of our defensive 50m and allow him to play to his strengths up forward.

True. Or Everitt and Walker will play the HBF/HFF/wing roles with the help of (hopefully) guys like White and McInnes for example who might be more favoured to play deep in defence (ala Rampe at the Swans allowing Everitt to move across half-back more often and not be dragged too deep). Dunno but might happen.

Reply #29
Really don't like White or McInnes. Prefer McInnes though as he has more upside and was coming back from a knee but I wasn't impressed with either TBH.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!