Skip to main content
Topic: Round 6 - Blues vs. West Coast Cokers (Read 54931 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 6 - Blues vs. West Coast Cokers

Reply #120
If Cripps has been dropped for a rest from both AFL and VFL then his fitness must be woeful...what has he played, 3 games?.....I can understand him being dropped back to the NB's but not to be playing VFL or a part game is astonishing IMO.
Dunstan from Stkilda has played all games and continues to be prominent......I dont expect Cripps to be starring but I do expect a young bloke of 18 to be able to play more than 3 games of football in a row at some level.

Did Dunstan break his leg a year and a half ago?

Reply #121
If Cripps has been dropped for a rest from both AFL and VFL then his fitness must be woeful...what has he played, 3 games?.....I can understand him being dropped back to the NB's but not to be playing VFL or a part game is astonishing IMO.
Dunstan from Stkilda has played all games and continues to be prominent......I dont expect Cripps to be starring but I do expect a young bloke of 18 to be able to play more than 3 games of football in a row at some level.

Exactly what I've been saying EB. We all can accept that there is a gulf between the AFL and the VFL, but that does not extend to the point that anyone who plays AFL should then be excused from VFL duties because they need a rest!!

In fact Cripps should relish in the lesser league as a flow on from his most recent exposure in the AFL. A rest and return to the VFL will lower the bar IMO.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #122
Some folk are being extremely hard on Cripps.

If you go back to the discussion at the time he was drafted, many posters doubted whether he would crack it for a game this season.

All players, whether they're seasoned veterans or in their first year, now have their fitness monitored like never before.  If they're not fit to go, they have a spell.

At least clubs are honest now and give 'rested' as the reason for omission rather than 'general soreness'.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if Cripps does have 'general soreness'; he does put his body in harm's way.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #123
I saw Cripps play in the rd 1 VFL game.

Once he builds his tank & gets used to the intensity at senior level, he will be a gem. He will play like he did in the VFL.

The kid has grown 25+cm in just over a year & broke his leg 18 months ago - of course he is going to struggle with fitness.

Reply #124
I saw Cripps play in the rd 1 VFL game.

Once he builds his tank & gets used to the intensity at senior level, he will be a gem. He will play like he did in the VFL.

The kid has grown 25+cm in just over a year & broke his leg 18 months ago - of course he is going to struggle with fitness.
Totally agree, his body would be struggling to cope with all the extra weight as well.
Will be good to get a few games under his belt this year though. I think he's the perfect candidate as a sub. In a photo after the win last week he was standing next to Everitt, who is listed at 193cm and i could swear he was as tall if not a smidge taller. His height gives him a little flexibility in the sense that if someone like Everitt or White went down or subbed, he could cover forward or back as a third tall, or if a mid went down or was subbed, he could come on for a quarter or two and it wouldn't affect the midfield rotation as much. All the while still playing some AFL footy, mixed in with some full VFL games and another pre-season (Arizona) i can't see it being a negative.

I wonder if being the sub would diminish one 's confidence though? I don't think it would be bad for a player in the position Cripps is in to play as a sub given his fitness isn't going to up to scratch for another year or three. Build him up slowly so we don't break him??

Thoughts??

Reply #125
Cripps doesn't seem like the type to take being the sub as an insult. He just wants to play.

He fits the role as the sub well due to versatility. However his lack of real pace might not work that well.

Just watching Mundy run around last night, you can't help but get excited about Cripps.

His game in the VFL was the best game I've seen one of our kids play in a long time. He's a footballer. Holds up very well in tackles. Leadership. Sticks up for teammates. Great hands. And I read in an interview that before his growth spurt he used to play as a small forward so he has the skills of a smaller player & just needs to learn how to take advantage of his new height.

Reply #126
Its good we re easing Cripps into AFL footy.
We don't want to 'Kreuzer' him and go too hard too early with him.

Reply #127
Hard to fathom any criticisms of Cripps.

We knew from the get go that he arrived at the club still growing! And with a tank that will take another pre season or two to develop. Our expectations need tempering. Although I don't know, I'm better him not playing for the NBs tonight is more about management than anything else.

Like EMTWENTY, I was fortunate enough to see the lad play his first games for the NBs. He wasn't anything special early on but showed glimpses, but when he 'got it' and was asked to impose himself on the game, he did - big time. The only thing that held (&holds) him back, from my observation, was his tank and, probably, general understanding of the game and his role in the team. He'll learn. It's a cliche, but bigger fellas do take time and he's up around 193 cm now! Patience, Grasshopper.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #128
Well said Baggers.

Big bodied mids take time to adjust to playing against stronger men than what they are used to. See Watson, Kennedy and even Kouta just to name a few. All took a couple of seasons to really shine.

It was interesting to see Cripps try and push off a Bulldogs tackler to no avail. He will get stronger and wiser. Have him in for a couple then back in, although I would not be surpised to see Cripps back in against Collingwood next Friday, Malthouse has form in brining in kids for big games. Maybe even a Giles or Holman to get a taste too. Plus expect Buckley to get a gig next week too against the plethora or pies small forwards.

Reply #129
Well said Baggers.

Big bodied mids take time to adjust to playing against stronger men than what they are used to. See Watson, Kennedy and even Kouta just to name a few. All took a couple of seasons to really shine.

It was interesting to see Cripps try and push off a Bulldogs tackler to no avail. He will get stronger and wiser. Have him in for a couple then back in, although I would not be surpised to see Cripps back in against Collingwood next Friday, Malthouse has form in brining in kids for big games. Maybe even a Giles or Holman to get a taste too. Plus expect Buckley to get a gig next week too against the plethora or pies small forwards.

You're going to like this kid. Once he cleans up his disposal, lookout. Just devours the contest, you can see he loves the game and understands it.

Reply #130

That's some growth spurt!  :o
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #131
Well said Baggers.

You're going to like this kid. Once he cleans up his disposal, lookout. Just devours the contest, you can see he loves the game and understands it.

Yep Holman has it. Love watching him play in the 2s. Whilst his disposal isn't elite, it's already better than Robbo's. If he can string a couple of dominant games in a row (he has had good games already just not consistent) he will be in the team.

Reply #132

This is way over the top - he simply isn't ready for the rigours of AFL football and we need to protect our next group of talent. The club should be applauded for its approach, not criticised. And the player certainly should not be questioned.

Reply #133
.........we need to protect our next group of talent. The club should be applauded for its approach, not criticised. And the player certainly should not be questioned.

Nail, Head, HIT!

Reply #134
In terms of today's game... I pray the 'good' J. Waite turns up. But I do worry as this bloke has a bleak history in terms of string 2 beauts together. Consistency aint his strong suit! Gee I hope he proves me wrong as today's result will be greatly improved in our way if the good Waite turns up.