Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Scorch Suns (Post-Siren Sunburn)  (Read 26692 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Scorch Suns (Post-Siren Sunburn)

Reply #60
re: Waite.......when he comes back Henderson wont be as effective as Waite will draw more of the ball and probably wont convert as well...

I'd be tempted to use Waite at CHB. Played some good footy there 6 or 7 years ago and surely Hendo's efforts deserve reward, besides he marks in front of goal doesn't lead to the pockets like Waite.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #61
re: Waite.......when he comes back Henderson wont be as effective as Waite will draw more of the ball and probably wont convert as well...

I don't agree with this. Waite is almost as good a contested mark as Cloke, the difference being that Cloke uses a lot of body strength for his, Waite relies more on timing his leap and his ability to leap earlier and hang longer, but essentially Waite is capable of similar numbers (when he can stay on the park). Henderson is considerably better than Dawes. The magpies were able to play that two big tall marking forward on their way to a flag and Hawthorn have as well, I was giving some thought as to what to do with Henderson when Waite came back and came to the conclusion we were better off keeping him forward though it is a tough decision.

To me the problem becomes are we weaker with Watson in defense or Rowe/Casboult up forward. I think it is probably slightly (and I do mean slightly) better to have Watson in defense. This could easily change by the week though depending on our  opponent. West Coast is a good example. Would be really want Watson or McInnes minding Jack Darling? That could be embarrassing... So that week I would play Hendo down back and wear the loss of him up forward. Against Richmond... I might be okay letting Watson have a go at Vickery, but it would be a tough call.

The key to Waite/Hendo up forward is that Hendo is turning out to be a really good contested marking option and I don't mind his kicking. If he starts getting not only the 2nd best defenders, but also the focus of the 3rd man up (loose defender) is on joining the Waite contest, rather than chopping Hendo out of the contest, then I think Hendo could actually Excel.

Waite back doesn't produce problems for Hendo I think it frees him up and creates a bit of a nightmare for the  opposition, especially if our smalls stay in form.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #62
Waite and Hendo up front would be an opposition coaches nightmare! Two classy, strong marking athletic forwards both with a touch of brilliance in their own special way. Combined with the amigos I can't see us losing a game if we get the ball up forward enough. Perhaps playing both of them up front requires an adjustment in tactics, more of an offensive focus.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #63
Waite and Hendo up front would be an opposition coaches nightmare! Two classy, strong marking athletic forwards both with a touch of brilliance in their own special way. Combined with the amigos I can't see us losing a game if we get the ball up forward enough. Perhaps playing both of them up front requires an adjustment in tactics, more of an offensive focus.

I notice the Hendo takes a lot of marks right in the goal square

been a while since I can remember someone doing that

Reply #64
Only just finished watching the replay.

Oh boy was that a crap game.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #65
What was Curnow saying to Ablett at quarter time; "Where will I meet you for the start of the second, half forward or in the centre square?"
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
What was Curnow saying to Ablett at quarter time; "Where will I meet you for the start of the second, half forward or in the centre square?"

Both former Modewarre boys and having played against Modewarre myself he was probably telling him how great it is to play on a ground that doesn't run downhill!!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #67
Just finished watching the replay and have to agree with CIMM - bit of a crap game but we won. Eddie Betts somehow managed to kick 3 but looks anything but the Eddie of old. Poor foot skills kill us and we would be really made to pay against a team like the Swans. I like McKenzie from the Suns.

Reply #68

Both former Modewarre boys and having played against Modewarre myself he was probably telling him how great it is to play on a ground that doesn't run downhill!!

They had a good chat after the game as well. Some mutual respect for sure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #69

He was having a go @ Ablett getting cheapies around the back.

Reply #70

Waite, Henderson and Casboult with the amigos becomes a most difficult combination for ant opposition coach. What will help Caboult/Rowe, with Waite back, is there isn't the pressure on them to kick goals, just focus on taking a few marks and a bit of rucking.

Reply #71

Waite, Henderson and Casboult with the amigos becomes a most difficult combination for ant opposition coach. What will help Caboult/Rowe, with Waite back, is there isn't the pressure on them to kick goals, just focus on taking a few marks and a bit of rucking.

I'll be interested to see if that happens if it works....Gunston, Buddy and Roughead works because the latter two are so good, I'm less convinced about Waite, Henderson and Casboult/Rowe working together....I think it will jam up the forward line and leave less room for the amigos to work in.

Reply #72

He was having a go @ Ablett getting cheapies around the back.

Can't blame him. Gableet would have had at least half his disposals as cheapies around the back..
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #73

I'll be interested to see if that happens if it works....Gunston, Buddy and Roughead works because the latter two are so good, I'm less convinced about Waite, Henderson and Casboult/Rowe working together....I think it will jam up the forward line and leave less room for the amigos to work in.

If it's Cas you could have him working up the ground providing the get out option coming out of defence. Leave Waite and Hendo in or around the 50 with two of the amigos, hopefully with Yazz on a wing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!