Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums) (Read 54679 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

7.40pm Next Saturday at Etihad

Dockers are not in great form and just getting it done. Pac one more week and Mcpharlin no chance.

No excuses for us, huge chance to knock a top 4 contender and we should.

Need to be smart with ball use as they just flood numbers back and tackle with intent, but we get enough chances we should kick a big enough score.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Re: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

Reply #1
Need to improve goal kicking 200% to have any chance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
7.40pm Next Saturday at Etihad

Dockers are not in great form and just getting it done. Pac one more week and Mcpharlin no chance.

No excuses for us, huge chance to knock a top 4 contender and we should.

Need to be smart with ball use as they just flood numbers back and tackle with intent, but we get enough chances we should kick a big enough score.

Ballantyne to miss as well?

I'm a big believer that if you match it with the Dockers on the inside you can win the game. We have too much pace and skill on the outside that if we get it to them the Dorkers have no chance. Mick should look at Ratts' blueprint from last year where we held strong at the contest and killed them on the break.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
We now have a game plan and a team of players that are capable of absorbed the intense pressure the dockers put on teams.

If we are able to kick relatively straight and maintain a fit group out on the field, it will be a close match.

If we get the above and the 3 amigos are on song, then we will flog them as they, like most, won't be able to stop all of them.

I suspect it will be somewhere in the middle. A closeish match which we sneak a win out of.

Reply #4

True but on the other hand Dockers games tend to be low scoring affairs.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Rowe out, Casboult in, is a must. Rowe, unless he is on his own, can't take a mark, and even when on his own there is no guarantee. He also lacks in the area of a second effort. There is no second effort from Rowe at all. Casboult can mark and has no hesitation in crashing a pack when going for a mark. He is also a much better ruckman. Two things are holding him back.

His kicking for goal is atrocious, and he lacks fitness to run out a full game. If you have a look at his performances when he's played, he's virtually disappeared out of a game after half time. It's an are that demands he work on or his days at Senior level are numbered. But for the rest of the season, he is a far better bet than Sam.

Reply #6

Mate all the more reason to take your opportunities. Bad kicking like yesterday will cost you against good sides.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
Rowe out, Casboult in, is a must. Rowe, unless he is on his own, can't take a mark, and even when on his own there is no guarantee. He also lacks in the area of a second effort. There is no second effort from Rowe at all. Casboult can mark and has no hesitation in crashing a pack when going for a mark. He is also a much better ruckman. Two things are holding him back.

His kicking for goal is atrocious, and he lacks fitness to run out a full game. If you have a look at his performances when he's played, he's virtually disappeared out of a game after half time. It's an are that demands he work on or his days at Senior level are numbered. But for the rest of the season, he is a far better bet than Sam.

Casboults kicking is CLEARLY worse than Rowes.

Fitness levels are on a par.

Their rucking is on a par.

Casboults marking is slightly better as is his pack crashing.

Rowes game against the Saints is better then anything Casboult has done this year.

FYI Rowe has kicked 8 goals in 7 games.
Casboutl has kicked 4 goals in 7 games.

Rowe also has more kicks, marks and disposals.

To say one is much better than the other is showing clear bias.

Reply #8
Nephew-in-law is a Docker supporter. Good kid and came to the footy with us when we beat the Aints.

Mentioned that under Ross Lyon, Freo aint lost a game at $hitihad yet!!

Hopefully that changes this week!! ;)
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #9

Casboults kicking is CLEARLY worse than Rowes.

Fitness levels are on a par.

Their rucking is on a par.

Casboults marking is slightly better as is his pack crashing.

Rowes game against the Saints is better then anything Casboult has done this year.

FYI Rowe has kicked 8 goals in 7 games.
Casboutl has kicked 4 goals in 7 games.

Rowe also has more kicks, marks and disposals.

To say one is much better than the other is showing clear bias.

Kruddler, there is not one person alive in the world today except for perhaps those under 5, that are not biased. We are all biased. Either towards our families, our car, the political party we vote for, the food we eat, etc.

So it's not a sin to be biased. We all are.

But there is a difference between being biased and being blinkered biased. For example. I am biased towards Carlton. I have been for 60 years. But I'm not blinkered biased. When we lose, unlike blinkered biased supporters, even though I may say that the umpiring was shocking, I will never blame the umpires for a loss. I won't blame anyone other than the players for not playing up to their capabilities, or the coaches for not coaching well. But I will never blame outside factors. Blinkered biased supporters won't blame our players or coaches but will blame outside influences.

Other examples, are parents I hear blame the school for their kids bad behaviour or lack of ability. It's never little Johnny's or Betty's fault. They are angels, and can do no wrong. Or parents who blame everyone else other than their kids for raping, or stealing, or murdering. That's blinkered bias and you see it every day.

So having said that, because I am not blinkered biased towards Casboult and against Rowe, I agree with you about the equal level of fitness between them. I still feel that Casboult is a better ruckman. I think you might find that Casboult played in more games where we got stuffed and didn't have the opportunities, while Rowe played in more winning games, hence the goal difference.

But where there can be no dispute at all, in my biased opinion, of course, is marking. Rowe isn't a patch on Casboult in contested marking. Casboult has proven himself capable of taking a pack mark around the ground, Rowe hasn't. I have got nothing but enormous admiration for Sam Rowe, and I hope he can have a long and healthy career as an AFL footballer.

Anyway, I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Reply #10
Nephew-in-law is a Docker supporter. Good kid and came to the footy with us when we beat the Aints.

Mentioned that under Ross Lyon, Freo aint lost a game at $hitihad yet!!

Hopefully that changes this week!! ;)

apart from the fact they have only played 1 game this year there against the saints

last year the beat the played 3 games games there (they all won): saints, melbourne, and north melbourne.

So when you look at it it's really all that impressive (NM win aside if you felt like it)

Reply #11

Mate all the more reason to take your opportunities. Bad kicking like yesterday will cost you against good sides.

I'm right there with you GTC!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
But where there can be no dispute at all, in my biased opinion, of course, is marking. Rowe isn't a patch on Casboult in contested marking. Casboult has proven himself capable of taking a pack mark around the ground, Rowe hasn't. I have got nothing but enormous admiration for Sam Rowe, and I hope he can have a long and healthy career as an AFL footballer.

Despite your beliefs on bias, i do not believe i am bias one way or the other on casboult or rowe. Some people will say i am one way. Some will say i am bias the other way.

Your initial comment was that Casboult MUST come in because of his marking. I agree he is a better pack mark.

What i am disagreeing with is that a better mark means more importance to the team.

What is more important to the team?

A player who kicks at 50% in front of goal but gets slightly more opportunities
or
A player who converts more often than not from slightly less opportunites.

Its a dilemma the MC face. Better conversion, or potentially more opportunities to convert.

Reply #13

Despite your beliefs on bias, i do not believe i am bias one way or the other on casboult or rowe. Some people will say i am one way. Some will say i am bias the other way.

Your initial comment was that Casboult MUST come in because of his marking. I agree he is a better pack mark.

What i am disagreeing with is that a better mark means more importance to the team.

What is more important to the team?

A player who kicks at 50% in front of goal but gets slightly more opportunities
or
A player who converts more often than not from slightly less opportunites.

Its a dilemma the MC face. Better conversion, or potentially more opportunities to convert.

Cas has kicked 3 goals so far in the NB's

he'll replace Rowe next week

wouldnt be surprised if they pull him in the last quarter today

Reply #14

But there's also the potential there that he will start to convert.

TBH I can't split the two but I'd give Rowe another go before I drop him. He played very well against the Saints and not so bad vs North. We need to give these talls a decent run at it. Rowe for another week and if he doesn't perform Cas for the rest of the year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!