Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums) (Read 54758 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

Reply #15
But where there can be no dispute at all, in my biased opinion, of course, is marking. Rowe isn't a patch on Casboult in contested marking. Casboult has proven himself capable of taking a pack mark around the ground, Rowe hasn't. I have got nothing but enormous admiration for Sam Rowe, and I hope he can have a long and healthy career as an AFL footballer.

Anyway, I'm happy to agree to disagree.
Despite your beliefs on bias, i do not believe i am bias one way or the other on casboult or rowe. Some people will say i am one way. Some will say i am bias the other way.

Your initial comment was that Casboult MUST come in because of his marking. I agree he is a better pack mark.

What i am disagreeing with is that a better mark means more importance to the team.

What is more important to the team?

A player who kicks at 50% in front of goal but gets slightly more opportunities
or
A player who converts more often than not from slightly less opportunites.

Its a dilemma the MC face. Better conversion, or potentially more opportunities to convert.

I wouldn't say that Rowe gets slightly less opportunities than Cas. In fact yesterday, he had a heap of opportunities but dropped mark after mark and and on one occasion missed from a shot virtually directly in front.

I just feel that there is a lot more upside overall from Casboult than there is from Rowe.

As always, I am happy to be proven wrong, in that I hope they can both make it at the top level.

Reply #16
Rowe out, Casboult in, is a must. Rowe, unless he is on his own, can't take a mark, and even when on his own there is no guarantee. He also lacks in the area of a second effort. There is no second effort from Rowe at all. Casboult can mark and has no hesitation in crashing a pack when going for a mark. He is also a much better ruckman. Two things are holding him back.

His kicking for goal is atrocious, and he lacks fitness to run out a full game. If you have a look at his performances when he's played, he's virtually disappeared out of a game after half time. It's an are that demands he work on or his days at Senior level are numbered. But for the rest of the season, he is a far better bet than Sam.

Casboults kicking is CLEARLY worse than Rowes.

Fitness levels are on a par.

Their rucking is on a par.

Casboults marking is slightly better as is his pack crashing.

Rowes game against the Saints is better then anything Casboult has done this year.

FYI Rowe has kicked 8 goals in 7 games.
Casboutl has kicked 4 goals in 7 games.

Rowe also has more kicks, marks and disposals.

To say one is much better than the other is showing clear bias.

Casboult's game against Essendon was probably at least as good as anything Rowe's produced too this year. Only technical    thing I disagree with.

Reply #17
Its a dilemma the MC face. Better conversion, or potentially more opportunities to convert.

But there's also the potential there that he will start to convert.

TBH I can't split the two but I'd give Rowe another go before I drop him. He played very well against the Saints and not so bad vs North. We need to give these talls a decent run at it. Rowe for another week and if he doesn't perform Cas for the rest of the year.

Long term, it seems easier to correct kicking issues then it is to convert a player to be an elite mark of the ball. So yes, ideally Casboult can improve his kicking and make the position his.

I don't think the potential that he will start to convert is something we factor in week to week, and neither should the MC.

@jimbo...
Can't recall casboults game against the bombers but he has never kicked more than 1 goal in a game this year. Rowe has done so on 2 occasions. (2 and 3) and has kicked twice as many goals by comparison.

Reply #18
No excuses, gotta win every game, Port just rolled Brisbane so we are out again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Rowe out, Casboult in, is a must. Rowe, unless he is on his own, can't take a mark, and even when on his own there is no guarantee. He also lacks in the area of a second effort. There is no second effort from Rowe at all. Casboult can mark and has no hesitation in crashing a pack when going for a mark. He is also a much better ruckman. Two things are holding him back.

His kicking for goal is atrocious, and he lacks fitness to run out a full game. If you have a look at his performances when he's played, he's virtually disappeared out of a game after half time. It's an are that demands he work on or his days at Senior level are numbered. But for the rest of the season, he is a far better bet than Sam.

Rowes game against the Saints is better then anything Casboult has done this year.

Surely you are not going to use the St Kilda game as a measuring stick Krud? St Kildas tall backs are undersized and under-skilled already and when the first choices in Fisher and Blake didn't play, any forward would have had a field day as Rowe did. Since then he's been shown up for what he is, a VFL player who is being kept for depth. Play Levi against St Kilda and that goal tally would turn in his favour.

Reply #20

Surely you are not going to use the St Kilda game as a measuring stick Krud? St Kildas tall backs are undersized and under-skilled already and when the first choices in Fisher and Blake didn't play, any forward would have had a field day as Rowe did. Since then he's been shown up for what he is, a VFL player who is being kept for depth. Play Levi against St Kilda and that goal tally would turn in his favour.

Who is better GWS or Saints?

Casboult played against GWS and kicked 1.3

Alternatively, Rowe kicked 2.2 against the cats.

Reply #21
Both Rowe and Casboult have an upside. both will benefit from another full preseason.

I think long term Casboult will have a better career as he tends to mark the ball more regularly than Rowe. Casboult moves ok and can pinch-hit in the ruck at levels equal to or better than Rowe.

Casboult's fitness and understanding of the requirements of AFL level will,improve as he gains more experience.

Can we fix Casboult's kicking? That's the question we need answered because he has Rowe covered in most other facets.

Reply #22
Graham and Bell dominated the Bullants today...either for Lucas would be nice.

Should we consider Warnock for some extra height?
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #23
Can't drop Lucas on one average performance, he was BOG a few weeks back when we got smashed by the Pies and has been good enough since then.

Bell doesn't seem to be one of the coaches favs. I'd be up for a look at Graham for sure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
Can't drop Lucas on one average performance, he was BOG a few weeks back when we got smashed by the Pies and has been good enough since then.

Bell doesn't seem to be one of the coaches favs. I'd be up for a look at Graham for sure.

Lucas did cop a decent hit. Maybe concussed?

Reply #25
Yes, don't think Lucas would be dropped but if not 100% fit could be replaced by Graham.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Yes, don't think Lucas would be dropped but if not 100% fit could be replaced by Graham.

Agree Lucas deserves one off week, but was he subbed off for injury or form? If he is injured it would be good to have a look at Graham.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #27
No reason we can't beat Freo and beat them well - who covers the three amigos?

Freo injury list:

No McPharlin really unbalances their entire back line structure (not that he was ever going to man up Eddie!)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28

Don't agree.  Rowe has shown a lot more than Casboult this season and his game against the Suns wasn't bad.

Casboult has potential but that's not enough to earn a place in the 22.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29

Lucas did cop a decent hit. Maybe concussed?
Certainly not right after it happened. We were right to sub him off. Maybe we should give him the week off and give Graham a go. Freo would certainly have seen very little of him. Or Tom Bell, for a bit of extra strength.
Live Long and Prosper!