Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues Practice Matches 2015 (Read 27836 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues Practice Matches 2015

Reply #45
Nick Holman needs some good games, decent size for a mid/half back but looks very much a raw young kid when I see him
play and he will be lucky to get offered another contract unless he can get himself up the pecking order and be in the best
players more often..

Reply #46
Nick Holman needs some good games, decent size for a mid/half back but looks very much a raw young kid when I see him
play and he will be lucky to get offered another contract unless he can get himself up the pecking order and be in the best
players more often..
He hasn't developed much yet. Hopefully he can develop.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #47
Can't shake off an U/17 combined team even with a significant list of senior list Blues on show!  Been a great w/e so far!!

5 pts up at 3/4 time.

Reply #48
This is a disgrace. 

Something stink at CFC.  Something is not right

Reply #49
If Ellard, Armfield and Byrne are over as a chance it might be a good thing. Armfield and Byrne can run and carry, and you know you always get effort from Ellard. If only he was a little quicker and taller.

If only my aunty had a beard , she'd be my uncle.

Sorry mate, I couldnt help myself!! ;D
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #50
Can't shake off an U/17 combined team even with a significant list of senior list Blues on show!  Been a great w/e so far!!

5 pts up at 3/4 time.

Probably just having a jog. Not so much about player talent, just poor attitude.

Won by 9pts. 99-90. Armfield kicked 4 and Walker played well.

DISPOSALS: Walker 29, Graham 28, Whiley 20, Boekhorst 18, Wilson 18, Buckley 15.

GOALS: Armfield 4, Buckley 2, Johnson 2, Viojo-Rainbow, Foster, Totevski, Walsh, Whiley, Fields.

Reply #51
I'm glad of the win: we need to win and we need to win badly and get used to winning and.... You get my drift.
The triple header at QEO is not quite the same with all the player I wanted to see badly playing at the MCG. However, I'll see what I can see for mid range picks. :)

I was going to ask if Aurrichio played, but he is at Ikon Park with the 2nds and doing well (according to Twitter).
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #52
Just for interest, I have copied Coach Webster's comments (from the club website) about performances against the Hawks and inserted my comments from the same match.

Mark Whiley (20 disposals, four marks, two tackles)
Webster: "It was his first game back. I thought he worked hard through the midfield all day. He tried to provide with us some run and gave us a lot of grunt in and around the contests."
RR: very good inside but hard to know how much was due to Levi's well directed hitouts and how much was due to his positioning and ball winning ability - looks and moves a bit like Priddis - something to work with
Dylan Buckley (11 disposals, two marks)
Webster: "'Bucks' played down back. What we’ve been working on with Dylan is his defensive side. We know that he can provide us good run and carry off half-back, and he got one inside-50 from his 11 disposals. We’ve got to continue to keep working on his defensive side and he showed good signs in that area today."
RR: Disappointing - not much to see here - was expecting so much more - especially since he was often the plus-one in defence
Jason Tutt (21 disposals, four marks, one goal)
"Tutt ended up with 21 touches, which was really good. He kicked a goal and played as a forward and up on the wing. I thought he did some really good things."
RR: I would have selected him ahead of Smith on Thursday - Clem isn't ready yet - Tutt is good to go
Levi Casboult (nine disposals, two marks, one goal)
"He started off well like last week, but only ended up with the nine disposals and two marks. He played more as a ruckman than a tall forward. What we wanted to see from Levi was him competing in the ruck, getting around the ground and taking some marks. As a ruckman he competed well and looked dangerous at times when he went up forward. Our ball movement forward didn’t help him at times."
RR: more rucking than forward and was very effective at delivering the ball to his midfielders - Mick said he is out of form so his inability to hold marks in good conditions was probably indicative of this
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (10 disposals, two marks)
"'Rainbow' played off half-back and a little bit on the wing. He used the ball reasonably well and hit some targets going inside 50, which set up a couple of scoring opportunities for us. We’re really trying to work on the defensive side of his game, but he really took a step forward today and each week he’s improving."
RR: played in defence - seems a likely type but might need a bit more time
Blaine Boekhorst (10 disposals, two marks)
"We played Boekhorst through the midfield and on the wing. He was finding the footy early when we were dominant. In the second half, they (Box Hill) dominated in the clearances."
RR: maybe I was expecting too much but he seemed to be a bit of a straight ahead player who lacked the power to break away
Matthew Dick (10 disposals)
"Dick played off half-back. He defended the ball and his opponent really well. He had 10 disposals and the boys were a little bit under the pump down there (in defence), but I thought he competed well in his one-on-one contests. He had a crack all day."
RR: didn't seem to do much but I was not sure of his role - might have been defensively effective
Nick Graham (21 disposals, six marks, two tackles)
"He ended up with 21 touches in the midfield. I thought he used the ball reasonably well and gave us a bit of run, which he’s really good at. He had three clearances and seven handball receives. It was a solid effort without being outstanding."
RR: gathered possessions but didn't do much with them - on a par with last year's form
Dennis Armfield (16 disposals, one goal, two tackles)
"I thought Dennis started really well, playing forward and going through the midfield and using his speed. He ended up with 16 touches and kicked a goal. We wanted him to really lock the ball inside our attacking 50 with his pressure and he did that really well at times."
RR: typically hard working performance - nothing we haven't seen before
Matthew Watson (11 disposals, six marks, one goal)
"We played Watson as a tall target for the majority of the day. He presented well, took six marks, kicked a goal and had some opportunities to kick more. He’s got to continue to keep working on his game up forward as he hasn’t been in that position for a while."
RR: I have never been a fan but he showed some noticeable improvements in his movements, his acceleration and his fitness - also looks leaner - still unable to achieve anything in a pack situation and didn't set the world on fire but he appears to have found a position that suits him CHF - lots more movement from him than at FF which allowed him to be isolated on an opponent much more often and he was able to take some contested marks when the ball was kicked to his advantage - disposal was only so so - for a supposed elite kick, he is not very effective at kicking to advantage - still has lots of limitations so giving him a positive review might be more of an indictment on most of his teammates - but hey, it is one of the few times he has given me cause to hope.
Jayden Foster (five disposals, one goal)
"He was a little bit scratchy today. It was the first game that he’s played in a very long time, having come off an injury. He got his hands to the footy a couple of times and kicked 1.2. He’ll get better each week. He’s been working pretty hard to get back."
RR: played at FF - needs time
David Ellard (14 disposals, three marks, seven tackles)
"He had 14 touches today. He was on limited game time last week but had more game time today. We played him in that forward pressure role and he pushed into the midfield as well. He tried his heart out all day, as he normally does. It was hard to be outstanding in a losing team."
RR: quieter than I would have expected but was not given much of an opportunity to run through the midfield - looks fitter and sharper than in recent seasons
Nick Holman (Eight disposals)
"Nick played off half-back and was quiet for the majority of the game. We pushed him into the middle in spurts during the last quarter, and he finished with eight disposals."
RR: played in defence and was clearly focused on his defensive role - no obvious improvement from last year
The following players were apparently not critiqued by Coach Webster
Ciarin Byrne - dashing defender with strong attack on ball and opponents - occasional brain fade and not as good a kick as his two compatriots but looks likely to make the grade
Blaine Johnson - didn't impress me much last year - looks rough around the edges but had a decent go today - seems to have improved - good ordinary footballer?
Tom Fields - solid unit - played as tall defender - not quite tall, strong or fast enough - tried hard but too often beaten in one-on-one contests
Billy Gowers - a rookie who looks to have something - at least he knows how to find the ball
Brad Walsh - rookie who showed little

Reply #53
My son went to the game against the Academy boys.
Best players were Walker, Armfield ( 4 goals ), Graham.
Buckley, Whiley, Boekhorst  all went well and Rainbow did some good things too.

A couple of very good boys in the Academy side.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #54
NAB AFL ACADEMY        3.2     7.3     9.5       14.6 (90)
NORTHERN BLUES         3.2     7.8     9.11    14.15 (99)

GOALS
NAB AFL Academy: Schache 3, Ah Chee 2, Hipwood 2, Weideman 2, Keays, Tucker, Cole, Snadden, Curnow
Northern Blues: Armfield 4, Buckley 2, Johnson 2, Whiley, Totevski, Viojo-Rainbow, Walsh, Fields, Foster

BEST
NAB AFL Academy: Ah Chee, Weitering, Parish, Weideman, Hopper, Keays, Tucker, Nyuon
Northern Blues: Armfield, Walker, Graham, Whiley, Boekhorst, Buckley, Wilson

I guess this shows the difference between our list and a bunch of really talented kids. We don't have a lot going for us at the moment.

Look at the best for the Academy and it is quite a good start to the players I would like.
Ah Chee has X factor. Weitering could be #1 pick yet: he is a dominating defender. Weideman would be a nice pick up, although Collingwood would be after him very badly. However, his old man did not play enough games for them. Parish is class. Nyuon could be anything, or not. Heaps of athleticism. Big Schache looks OK as well: not many 197 cm guys play like him on our list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
Weitering could be the best key defender since Swan and he'd get hung out to dry by our slack arse midfield.... we have to fix the midfield before fixing the spine... but the both need fixing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #56
I've always been critical of the fact that our senior listed players cannot regularly dominate games at the lower level. Follow NB's pretty closely and would love to read about Watson kicking 8. Buckley dominating etc etc
Eat more chooks

Reply #57
I've always been critical of the fact that our senior listed players cannot regularly dominate games at the lower level. Follow NB's pretty closely and would love to read about Watson kicking 8. Buckley dominating etc etc

Youre right, it just doesn't happen. We have a very ordinary list and I can't recall any dominant performances in the past few years. In the past 2 weeks the Northern Blues lost to Box Hill without any senior Hawks list players playing and this week only just beat an U17 rep side. Weak. Very weak.

Reply #58

A couple that play better in the seniors than the NBs. Why, I don't know but Watson always has.

Reply #59

This has certainly been the case since the NBs lost David Teague as their Senior Coach. Under his tenure you often saw senior listed blokes tearing it up.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17