Skip to main content
Topic: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags (Read 21244 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags

Reply #30
I remember a game about 2-3 years ago when Juddy just ran Cameron Ling into the turf. Poor old Ling, his face was redder than his hair and after the game he was totally spent. From memory, Juddy had a good one to boot!  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
If, like us, you only have one or two genuine mids you are cooked.

It's why the Bombers wont get anywhere in finals. Tag Jobe, job done.
It's why the Eagles went from world beaters to cooked when Judd and Cousins left.

It used to be you could get away with 2-4 mids, but that just won't cut it now. Must have 6 quality runner/ball users rotating through there.

We are 4 mids short .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #32
It is easy to say this is what he must do, as observers we can all talk the talk as can the coach.

But if you are carrying an injury the seemingly simple and obvious can quickly become the impossible, and there is the difference between the rhetoric and reality.

I have no reason to doubt Murphy, he has already done enough to prove to me he has the mental and physical capability. All he needs now is an injury free run at getting fitness.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33

It's why the Eagles went from world beaters to cooked when Judd and Cousins left.

It used to be you could get away with 2-4 mids, but that just won't cut it now. Must have 6 quality runner/ball users rotating through there.

We are 4 mids short .

Agree....now that Judd is on the slide , it only leaves Murphy and we need another 3 -4 quality mids....maybe Graham and Bell might step up if we give them opportunities to learn.

Reply #34
On a different tact, assuming that Murph is not fit enough to run out four quarters, but given he still wracked up 13 touches and was effectively minding Crowley, is that a bit of a win for us?

If a tagger is going to Murphy when he cant really contribute, lets assume for a moment, Murphy didnt come up.  Crowley sits on Judd instead (assumption) and we struggle even more, unless someone steps up in a big way (Lucas? Graham?).

It seems to me, that Murphy wearing the tag, without being able to beat his opponent might still have given us a valuable contribution.  I know Im happier with Juddy running around without an opponent.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35

We are 4 mids short .

Agree....now that Judd is on the slide , it only leaves Murphy and we need another 3 -4 quality mids....maybe Graham and Bell might step up if we give them opportunities to learn.

I would argue we have seen Gibbs and Bell step up already. Buckley will be in there eventually as well, and over the last couple of weeks there have been signs from Curnow he has another gear if someone can put him in it!

Bell is a victim of the rookie rules, and nobody knows why Gibbs isn't being played in the midfield.

Our other major mid is the one nobody ever remembers, Kreuzer. If he had a half decent player to give him a chop out of the ruck he would go to another level all together, especially at ground level.

I think it's time 1AW was given some center square work to get done. He looks to have the body, speed and acceleration. Whether he has the quick hands and smarts in that situation is another issue all together. I hate seeing potentially our best ball winners standing opposition forwards.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
On a different tact, assuming that Murph is not fit enough to run out four quarters, but given he still wracked up 13 touches and was effectively minding Crowley, is that a bit of a win for us?

If a tagger is going to Murphy when he cant really contribute, lets assume for a moment, Murphy didnt come up.  Crowley sits on Judd instead (assumption) and we struggle even more, unless someone steps up in a big way (Lucas? Graham?).

It seems to me, that Murphy wearing the tag, without being able to beat his opponent might still have given us a valuable contribution.  I know Im happier with Juddy running around without an opponent.

We're effectively one man down defensively and Judd isn't good enough to tag now anyway. I do see the point you're trying to make though but perhaps would be more effective with a more talented midfield.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37
We're effectively one man down defensively and Judd isn't good enough to tag now anyway. I do see the point you're trying to make though but perhaps would be more effective with a more talented midfield.

I don't agree, I think one reason our midfield is on the slide is because it has gone too far in the tagging and negating direction and not maintained enough focus on itself and what it can do in attack.

I'd rather see a few of them get cut loose to see what they can do, they should have learned that effort is required both ways by now but we seem stuck in defensive balance. Our midfield is no longer feared as an attacking tool, MM's emphasis seems to be running off HB which is why I struggle to understand the form slump of Yarran.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
What's there to not understand about Yarran? He's not playing HBF. Don't you mean you don't understand why we've adopted this method and Yazz isn't playing off half back?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #39
I have been impressed with what K has been doing after the tap in recent games... I thought his efforts at ground level against Freo, whilst not effective, at least showed intent in tackling and providing a big body.

He hasn't been doing this deck level work since his knee, so wondering if he is only just getting confident with it again.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #40
What's there to not understand about Yarran? He's not playing HBF. Don't you mean you don't understand why we've adopted this method and Yazz isn't playing off half back?

I never stated Yarran was playing off the HBF, and yes the rest of what you wrote is what I mean!

So the question becomes a chicken and egg scenario. Is Yarran not off HBF because of his form slump, or is his form slump because he is not off the HBF?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Nah it's obviously the latter as he was never given a chance at HBF under the new regime was he?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #42

I never stated Yarran was playing off the HBF, and yes the rest of what you wrote is what I mean!

So the question becomes a chicken and egg scenario. Is Yarran not off HBF because of his form slump, or is his form slump because he is not off the HBF?

Yarran got completely exposed in the preseason final and Mick will never play him there again.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43

Yarran got completely exposed in the preseason final and Mick will never play him there again.

Wow so we've written off his best position after a preseason game? Stellar coaching there. And of course we've now got so much drive off HB anyway hey who needs Yazz?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #44

Seriously, a career decided on a NAB Cup match!!!!  :o
The Force Awakens!