Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 12: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston (Read 22606 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 12: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston

Reply #45
Kinda disappointed with the NB's as there wasn't many real standouts who are putting there hand up for selection.

For mine there were 2 players who stood out.

Silvagni - Didn't get much of it, but everything that came his way he was all over. Got his first goal from a contest most people would've given up on as it was a long kick to the advantage of his opponent Forced his way into the contest to spoil, ball basically fell into his arms. His opponent fell over and he was aware enough to play on and run into an open goal.
That 1 contest shows me that he has the
 - hunger to compete,
 - natural ability to get in for the spoil and keep his feet
 - footy nous to be aware of his surrounding and take advantage of it
Add to the above the fact that he is a very good kick of the ball, lovely action and follow through and you can ink him in for best 22 in the future.

Buckley - While it was far from a great game by him, he showed with his pace and hunger to get to contests and try and influence them that he isn't 'shot' just yet. While it is a big step up to AFL level, if he can work on his kicking and consistency, there is still hope for him yet.

Nothing from anyone else really stood out as unique or worthy of a spot in the 1's. Some people might get a crack, but i don't think any are long term solutions.

Reply #46
Kinda disappointed with the NB's as there wasn't many real standouts who are putting there hand up for selection.

Was a little disturbing, nobody stood out for me,.

Sandringham basically bullied the NBs lighter bodies. If you are physically intimidated at VFL level you are a world away from being competitive in the AFL.

I was shocked to see how much weight/bulk/condition a number of our players have lost over the last few months. If this is deliberate it says something about where our game plan is headed, if it not it is a damning assessment of our strength and conditioning staff.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Was a little disturbing, nobody stood out for me,.

Sandringham basically bullied the NBs lighter bodies. If you are physically intimidated at VFL level you are a world away from being competitive in the AFL.

I was shocked to see how much weight/bulk/condition a number of our players have lost over the last few months. If this is deliberate it says something about where our game plan is headed, if it not it is a damning assessment of our strength and conditioning staff.

I think its not just about our game plan, but the game in general.

With the interchange cap and no sub rule, you need to be able to run for longer. Less bulk allows for this.

Traditional bully boys like Geelong are getting found out against teams who run around them like the sainters last night.

Reply #48

We really struggled to find the ball: the comparative stats are damning: 5 NBs on the bottom, 4 Zebras at the top. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49
chat with a mate that watched the game he said glass-mcasker is a really good defender and best player for NB i didnt watch the game and other than one or two posters no one has really given him a wrap just want to know if he really did play that well?

Reply #50
chat with a mate that watched the game he said glass-mcasker is a really good defender and best player for NB i didnt watch the game and other than one or two posters no one has really given him a wrap just want to know if he really did play that well?
Probably slightly exaggerated, but not that much. He had a good game. He was rarely beaten in the air and he provided some nice run out of defence. Probably his best game for us so far.
However, there were few other guys who were OK, although none REALLY took the game by the neck.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #51
Probably slightly exaggerated, but not that much. He had a good game. He was rarely beaten in the air and he provided some nice run out of defence. Probably his best game for us so far.
However, there were few other guys who were OK, although none REALLY took the game by the neck.
I must say I liked the look of Billy Gowers, liked his attitude and attack on the ball. Needs a bit of polish and while lacking a standout trait, could develop into something.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #52

Viojo Rainbow....interesting player, looks stylish at times and has the big left foot which got him 3 goals today but can also look half ar$ed when the ball needs to be won and he needs to so something special to win it...did contest well at times and shows he can play but I remain unconvinced... Me too, although this was the best game I have seen from him.

Wood....looks like he is done and dusted... Big fall from a moderate AFL stop-gap last year to a sub-VFL player this year.

Sheehan...got injured during the game and was quiet early but when he did get back on the ground I though he improved as the game went on....not as athletic or speedy as Byrne but uses the ball well and seems composed....wouldnt want  to miss too many games with injury though as he might be a casualty at seasons end... Looked much better than he did against Frankston and will hopefully continued to find some touch but, as you say, needs to show some durability.

Fair and reasonable review EB

Reply #53
I must say I liked the look of Billy Gowers, liked his attitude and attack on the ball. Needs a bit of polish and while lacking a standout trait, could develop into something.

Yes, Billy Gowers impressed me against the Box Hill Hawks.  He wasn't quite as good yesterday but I think he has a future and is worth persevering with.

Glass-McCasker is another who was a bit down on his last game but was still among our better players.  I recall that there was a question mark over his kicking when he was rookied but his disposal by foot is pretty good. 

Apart from some glimpses from SOJ, the Carlton-listed players didn't really show a lot.  Viojo-Rainbow did some good things and kicked goals, Buckley had a dip but needs to do a lot more, Jones took some nice marks but was missing for long periods, Jaksch was ordinary, Smith didn't enough, Dick was good, Sheehan showed a bit but had injury problems, Graham was OK but really should be dominating at that level and Wood was average.

Korcheck was too easily out-bodied by smaller opponents.  Whoever is working with him needs to instil a desire to impose himself on opponents and the game generally.

Is Whiley injured?  He was OK in the last game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
Korcheck was too easily out-bodied by smaller opponents.  Whoever is working with him needs to instil a desire to impose himself on opponents and the game generally.

I'm a bit shocked to see how much bulk he has lost, it will take him some time to get used to his new lighter frame.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
I'm a bit shocked to see how much bulk he has lost, it will take him some time to get used to his new lighter frame.

Korchek wont ever be a pretty player and needs to get a few videos on how Mike Pyke from the Swans played the game and transitioned into AFL..Pyke was next to hopeless early and
probably showed less than Korchek but he gave away trying to be the next Jim Stynes or Simon Madden and just bashed and crashed his way around the oval and contested everything that came his way....eventually it turned around for him as he started winning more ball and his skills improved .
I think Korchek needs to be let off the leash and told to go for it....crash some packs, sure, make some mistakes, give frees away etc but let him be the competitive beast he was at basketball and forget about tip-toeing around the ground like a ballet dancer....

Reply #56
Is Whiley injured?  He was OK in the last game.
I may be mistaken but I thought I saw him in the rooms at the GWS game. I thought I saw him listening in to a conversation btw Barker at the players, it may have been someone else though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57

For mine there were 2 players who stood out.

Silvagni - Didn't get much of it, but everything that came his way he was all over. Got his first goal from a contest most people would've given up on as it was a long kick to the advantage of his opponent Forced his way into the contest to spoil, ball basically fell into his arms. His opponent fell over and he was aware enough to play on and run into an open goal.
That 1 contest shows me that he has the
 - hunger to compete,
 - natural ability to get in for the spoil and keep his feet
 - footy nous to be aware of his surrounding and take advantage of it
Add to the above the fact that he is a very good kick of the ball, lovely action and follow through and you can ink him in for best 22 in the future.

Buckley - While it was far from a great game by him, he showed with his pace and hunger to get to contests and try and influence them that he isn't 'shot' just yet. While it is a big step up to AFL level, if he can work on his kicking and consistency, there is still hope for him yet.

Nothing from anyone else really stood out as unique or worthy of a spot in the 1's. Some people might get a crack, but i don't think any are long term solutions.

Did nobody think DVR stood out?

I thought he was awesome - brilliant kicking for goal... like shelling peas and showed real courage a couple of times. He's got real quality. Shame he hasn't been a bit more consistent this year. Guys like Tutt / Jones have to be put out to pasture. We need to give these younger guys a go now.

Jaksch was pretty good. Did some nice things when forward and had a steadying impact when thrown back. Stuffed if I know how he can't get a game. Bolton has to give a bit more of a reason for this one that just - form will dictate selection because that's crap. Brought Plowman in after a couple of very mediocre performances.

I don't think we've got selection right this year.

Reply #58
Did nobody think DVR stood out?

He didn't show me that he is worth a spot in the 1's, far from it.
He was one of the better ones on a day that we were largely poor.

Reply #59
He didn't show me that he is worth a spot in the 1's, far from it.
He was one of the better ones on a day that we were largely poor.

Skittles has started to string some decent games together but he has a way to go.  Like most of the NBs, inconsistency holds him back.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball