Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Pre Game Prayers: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 18904 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Pre Game Prayers: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
The only way Hodge would miss finals after an incident involving one of our players would be if he busted his elbow nailing one of ours... who would then get three weeks for recklessly head butting Hodges's elbow.
I agree. Real Gold.

Unfortunately recent games against Hawthorn suggest the umpires and the idiots at the tribunal actually agree with it. He is a thug, but they just don't want to see it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
I didn't see the game, only the highlights. However, from those I would put Jones in.

Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   4.3  6.4  8.8  11.11 (77)
Footscray Bulldogs   1.5  3.7  5.9  10.11 (71)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: McKay 3 Jaksch 2 Jones 2 Korcheck  Declase  Kerbatieh  Smith
Footscray Bulldogs: Webb 2 Houghton 2 Hayes  Hrovat  Greenwood  Hannan  Grabowski  Adcock

BEST:
Northern Blues: Wilson Jaksch Everitt Tutt Jones Russell
Footscray Bulldogs: Webb Smith Russell Nash Adcock Honeychurch

From those, and feel free to disagree with me if you were there and saw it live, Jaksch would be his biggest competition. Jones took some great marks, but did not convert all of his chances.
I would give McKay a go some time in the last couple of rounds. Maybe against Essendon. His fitness levels are just not there yet.
I don't think Silvagni's fitness levels are there yet, but he made a case that just couldn't be ignored.

I also note that although Whiley got leather poisoning, he was NOT mentioned in the best. Tutt was: disposal efficiency? All the same, Whiley has to be close to another senior game. He is in good form at the moment.

I think Skittles and Gowers may get games before the end of the season, but it would be very brave to blood them against Hawthorn. Lamb probably didn't do enough to get a recall yet.

Sumner was better against Sydney, but still managed just 13 possessions (and 1 brilliant goal). It would be hard to make many changes for this week, but Sumner could make way.
I like the lad, his pace and his work rate, but he needs to get the ball more.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
I agree. Real Gold.

Unfortunately recent games against Hawthorn suggest the umpires and the idiots at the tribunal actually agree with it. He is a thug, but they just don't want to see it.

Hodge was suspended twice last year for a total of 5 games, I don't think we'll have to worry about him this week though as he is in doubt with a hammy and no way they'll risk him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18
I'd like to see SOS push up to the wing, drop Phillips only because I don't think two ruckmen is working, and bring in both Jaksch and Jones up forward. We need to take some marks i50.

IN: Jaksch, Jones
OUT: C. Curnow, Phillips

HF: Boekhorst - Casboult - Wright
FF: Sumner - Jones - Jaksch

8)

Reply #19
I'd like to see SOS push up to the wing, drop Phillips only because I don't think two ruckmen is working, and bring in both Jaksch and Jones up forward. We need to take some marks i50.

8)
Don't mind that. Jaksch and Jones key forwards, Casboult a genuine 2nd ruck, a role he played well with last year when Jones and Henderson filled the key positions. He added qiite a bit around the ground and even better didn't have to be shooting at goal.

Reply #20

8)

Thinking they will go with one ruckman is ignoring everything the MC has done all year.

It might happen but very unlikely. They don't want Casboult rucking, so that's probably another nail in this posts coffin.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21

8)

If we are only going to go with 1 ruckman, it would probably see Casboult out of the team and Phillips as permanent forward. Based on their respective form at least.

Reply #22
If we are only going to go with 1 ruckman, it would probably see Casboult out of the team and Phillips as permanent forward. Based on their respective form at least.

Never want to see a ruckman as a key forward as it's usually a disaster. Most have no idea how to play the position. Casboult's game would improve alot if he was to get a run on the ball as we have seen a number of times over the last few years. He improves no end when he can clunk a few marks. He's better marking around the ground than Phillips and Kreuzer put together, and i'm not necessarily saying alot there.

Reply #23
Thinking they will go with one ruckman is ignoring everything the MC has done all year.

It might happen but very unlikely. They don't want Casboult rucking, so that's probably another nail in this posts coffin.

They did it a couple of times earlier on when we were winning. No coincidence both Kreuzer and Casboult played easily their best footy in role they were suited and we played well too. I like Phillips but two ruckmen doesn't often work for us, especially when we're left with just one key forward. Phillips doesn't often do that much and Kreuzer's effectiveness is cut in half when he has to share. Seen that for years now. Not sure why it takes our match committee so long to see that. That did for a few matches when Phillips got injured and we did well.

At worst 2 key forwards and 2 rucks where Casboult can then get up the ground and clunk some marks rather than being stuck deeper forward as our one out key forward against the heat of multiple defenders.

Reply #24
They did it a couple of times earlier on when we were winning. No coincidence both Kreuzer and Casboult played easily their best footy in role they were suited and we played well too. I like Phillips but two ruckmen doesn't often work for us, especially when we're left with just one key forward. Phillips doesn't often do that much and Kreuzer's effectiveness is cut in half when he has to share. Seen that for years now. Not sure why it takes our match committee so long to see that. That did for a few matches when Phillips got injured and we did well.

At worst 2 key forwards and 2 rucks where Casboult can then get up the ground and clunk some marks rather than being stuck deeper forward as our one out key forward against the heat of multiple defenders.

In round 7, we played one ruckman - Kreuzer - with Casboult as part time back-up.  We started off with the same structure in round 8 but Rowe had to step in when Casboult went off.  Rowe rucked much better than Casboult ever has.  In every other game we have played two dedicated ruckmen (if you can call Gorringe and Rowe dedicated ruckmen - Gibbs got as many hitouts as Rowe in round 9!).  In any case, it's a pointless argument; they won't risk Casboult's knee by playing him in the ruck again this season.

We do need to play two key forwards so that Casboult isn't trying to outmark two defenders and can get up the ground to provide an outlet. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Forward line structure is an issue, theoretically could have won every game this year bar a couple as we dominated the inside 50s. It is all very interesting and the quicker we have our three 18 year old snotfaces running around together growing up together the better.

Reply #26
Why wouldn't they try Tuohy forward? He's strong, can kick and don't see any harm from Moving him from the back as they seem pretty settled back there

Reply #27
Don't get why many want Jones to get another senior game.

He is not part of our future plans and so why fill a position with a player who has had enough time to show what we has and hasnt made the grade. Most bag the crap out of him when he plays than he goes back in the 2s plays a half decent game at the lower level and fans then want him recalled  ::)

No good at this stage in the year giving games to anyone other then those who the club sees/wants there in 3-4 years (Except for simmo of course)

Therefore a big no for me to Jones, Tutt, Whiley, Smith, Dick, Walker, Wood etc.

Jaksch and Everett are the ones I'm not sure where they sit so maybe to get a better read come seasons end play boy these 2 and tell them you have 5 weeks and then we make a call on both of their futures.  

Reply #28

He is not part of our future plans and so why fill a position with a player who has had enough time to show what we has and hasnt made the grade. Most bag the crap out of him when he plays than he goes back in the 2s plays a half decent game at the lower level and fans then want him recalled  ::)

No good at this stage in the year giving games to anyone other then those who the club sees/wants there in 3-4 years (Except for simmo of course)

Therefore a big no for me to Jones, Tutt, Whiley, Smith, Dick, Walker, Wood etc.

Jaksch and Everett are the ones I'm not sure where they sit so maybe to get a better read come seasons end play boy these 2 and tell them you have 5 weeks and then we make a call on both of their futures.  

Agree. We are first and foremost trying to sort the sheep from the goats this year and getting our team structure, playing culture and game plans sorted out. There's no point in going down dead ends with any of that unless you are forced to. Their lack of selection tells me that both Jones and KJ must have been already identified as "non strategic"  and will only now come in as last resorts due to injuries etc.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29

[ / quote ]
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.