Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond (Read 16241 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond

Reply #30
Baggers,  thanks for that. I really enjoy reading your detailed summaries.

Keep em coming.

Reply #31
I'm wondering....
- have some blokes recently been given the you're-not-required nod?
- is the inconsistency a function of adjustment? (Knock off one of the big boys, have 4th qtr fadeouts)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
Baggers tells the story of the game as accurately as can be. We've not got much smarts in the ressies and there'd be few tears if we lost 20 of them. Beyond the lack of nous, the failure of cohesion  and consistent thoughtful effort is the killer. Fraser was furious at 3/4 time about the faffing around between the arcs and sprayed em for it. But it was too late to get them focused by then.

Couple of things. Kerbatieh shows a bit but needs intense fitness and tactical coaching if he's to make it as he, like others, went missing after a promising start. Fraser either sees something in Korcheck or the brains trust does and he's been told to encourage him, as that's what happened. Gets across the ground OK, considering, but will need a few years yet. The Jones conundrum must do others' heads in just as much as our own. Either impressive or invisible. Not much in between.

Oh and Jake Bradley, of what little I saw of the last development quarter, wasn't out of place. Wish I'd seen the whole game. Pretty small and light but that's to be expected.

Reply #33
Thanks Baggers.

Sounds like a good , honest appraisal of where the NBs are at.

The situation sounds dire.

I hope there are some prospects left in the latter part of the draft.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #34
Cheers Baggers , for us out off "staters" its nice to have some feedback on the 2's , but doesn't sound healthy. Seems like common theme it lack of commitment for 4 qtr pls from many players , lack of consistency & combining that with skill & talent issues , so we have a problem. Agree re Everitt, best option for goals for us, and might need to carry that into next year, at least he can kick them and has genuine forward nous , lack on many others. Seems like it might be a deeper cull once again as the ratio of players we were hoping to kick on hasn't happened, might even put us back another year

Reply #35
Baggers tells the story of the game as accurately as can be. We've not got much smarts in the ressies and there'd be few tears if we lost 20 of them. Beyond the lack of nous, the failure of cohesion  and consistent thoughtful effort is the killer. Fraser was furious at 3/4 time about the faffing around between the arcs and sprayed em for it. But it was too late to get them focused by then.

Couple of things. Kerbatieh shows a bit but needs intense fitness and tactical coaching if he's to make it as he, like others, went missing after a promising start. Fraser either sees something in Korcheck or the brains trust does and he's been told to encourage him, as that's what happened. Gets across the ground OK, considering, but will need a few years yet. The Jones conundrum must do others' heads in just as much as our own. Either impressive or invisible. Not much in between.

Oh and Jake Bradley, of what little I saw of the last development quarter, wasn't out of place. Wish I'd seen the whole game. Pretty small and light but that's to be expected.

But look at the big picture, there's a god chance a lot of the fringe CFC listed players have been told their papers have been stamped - their career as an AFL player pretty much certainly over (in a lot of instances) even before it again.

In that circumstance, how hard would you be trying out there?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
I reckon that a lot of our younger players need something that they just don't get these days - time in the system.  Ed Curnow is a classic example - spent time at two clubs prior to making our rookie list, and years later is having a break out year.

For some they need time to develop a true fitness/endurance base (Buckley) or an AFL-ready body (Silvagni).  Others just seem to be the wrong size or lack important attributes - they unfortunately won't make it.  I still reckon that Gowers and DVR et al. can make it if they want it badly enough.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37
Great report baggers. The tail end of the season can produce some pretty dismal results. Of the games i have seen the NBs play this year it has been good to see a similar style to the seniors being attempted. If this alignment contines and gets more solid it is important to building the required platform for player development.

Reply #38
Gotta feel for Josh Fraser. The third qtr effort was bad enough but to capitulate in the last must have deeply disappointed him and probably also infuriated him.

Earlier in the year even if we were defeated there was fair dinkum effort, but not yesterday. Wouldn't blame Wilson if he went looking elsewhere for 2017.

Speculating that some have been told they're going and or are pretty aware of it, should, you'd hope, fire them up to impress another suitor if nothing else . But it can also make you play selfish, maybe that was a part of what we dished up yesterday.

I went there yesterday really hoping to see 'green shoots' and then pass on the good news. At least the pies were good.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
@Baggers

Thanks for the report Baggers (and to your wife for sitting through what sounded like quite an ordeal!). A very interesting but depressing insight into where we are currently on our rebuild journey.

We really don't sound as if we have much of a foundation in place on which to build our future so we still have a way to go in building something solid there. If we don't get that really sorted out then bringing in a few "stars" could well prove to be unproductive  a big potential waste. Sounds like we really need to establish an upgraded and even spread of talent across the board first! It's just not there atm.

Trading and drafting are doubtless going to be busy and fascinating times.

Less fascinating than last year. We don't have the likes of Hendo and Yarran to trade for decent picks. Can't just delist that many otherwise you're using pick 120 to replace them to fill the list. All done over a few years. We'll focus on mids this yr.

Reply #40
Less fascinating than last year. We don't have the likes of Hendo and Yarran to trade for decent picks. Can't just delist that many otherwise you're using pick 120 to replace them to fill the list. All done over a few years. We'll focus on mids this yr.

The fascination lies in the level of talent and the quality rather than in the sheer numbers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
The fascination lies in the level of talent and the quality rather than in the sheer numbers.

We might use a pick to get 4 GWS blokes again, maybe a better group than previous if it's Tomlinson,  Marchbank, Steele and Stewart. That'd allow for more change in regards to delisting a few more.

Reply #42
t
We might use a pick to get 4 GWS blokes again, maybe a better group than previous if it's Tomlinson,  Marchbank, Steele and Stewart. That'd allow for more change in regards to delisting a few more.

Agree....got to be better than what we have on the list at the minute....

Reply #43
Agree....got to be better than what we have on the list at the minute....

A couple of key position players and a couple of mids in that lot and they were all high draft picks.

Reply #44
A couple of key position players and a couple of mids in that lot and they were all high draft picks.

Jim..Dont have to sell the idea me ;) I just hope we have the currency to get some deals done....