Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond (Read 16608 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 18: Northern Blues vs Richmond

Reply #45
Jim..Dont have to sell the idea me ;) I just hope we have the currency to get some deals done....

From today's showing there would not be much, apart from the perennial favourite!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
From today's showing there would not be much, apart from the perennial favourite!

Like last year, they might not want alot with both salary cap pressure now as well as wanting the points for academy kids. They'll be looking to offload badly. A 2nd and 3rd round pick would be the equivalent to a first round pick to them given it goes to a gun academy kid.

Reply #47
Like last year, they might not want alot with both salary cap pressure now as well as wanting the points for academy kids. They'll be looking to offload badly. A 2nd and 3rd round pick would be the equivalent to a first round pick to them given it goes to a gun academy kid.

Yep
But we may not be the only suitors in such a race this year....so it might not be so cheap.
I suspect other clubs will now be looking at the GWS well and seeing that it's a pretty deep one.
Silvagni's 'inside running' may not be so useful this time around.

Reply #48
Yep
But we may not be the only suitors in such a race this year....so it might not be so cheap.
I suspect other clubs will now be looking at the GWS well and seeing that it's a pretty deep one.
Silvagni's 'inside running' may not be so useful this time around.

Depends where they want to go. If some or all want to go to Carlton the GWS will need to deal with us.

Reply #49
I think we're looking at Jaeger O'Meara closely, I was told it was a done deal but I doubt that.
He'll cost a lot of money and there's a risk involved, but we sure do need a young, classy midfielder.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
Depends where they want to go. If some or all want to go to Carlton the GWS will need to deal with us.

Hopefully any prospective players don't watch today's game.

Reply #51
I'd be trying something slightly different this week against Brisbane.

Bring in Jones, Everitt, Whiley and Gowers. Is Murphy ready???

Send Tuohy forward, Gowers to half-back/wing in place of.

Casboult, Jones, Everitt go forward.

Walker out obviously.

Everitt to play wing/forward roaming role. Silvagni up forward also.

Not sold on the Kreuzer/Phillips thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the future ruck in Phillips given a free crack at it by himself. Tom Hickey got this at the Saints after they tried the Hickey/Longer ruck combo and it just didn't work. One works with a tall forward to give a chop out at times. Sometimes, some blokes like the feeling of being the 'no.1' bloke and I get the feeling Andrew Phillips is like that and needs to be given that opportunity. He's got some dirt about him too which I like.

Kreuzer to be 'rested'.

Let Whiley play with Cripps. I'd like to see them in tandem onball.

I'm still a bit keen on seeing Docherty play onball too.

So my 'outs' would then be - Walker, Kreuzer, Graham + one more which I'll have to have a think about. You could raffle it! White?? One of Buckley/Boekhorst?

Reply #52
I'd be trying something slightly different this week against Brisbane.

Bring in Jones, Everitt, Whiley and Gowers. Is Murphy ready???

Casboult, Jones, Everitt go forward.

Walker out obviously.

Everitt to play wing/forward roaming role. Silvagni up forward also.

Not sold on the Kreuzer/Phillips thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the future ruck in Phillips given a free crack at it by himself. Tom Hickey got this at the Saints after they tried the Hickey/Longer ruck combo and it just didn't work. One works with a tall forward to give a chop out at times. Sometimes, some blokes like the feeling of being the 'no.1' bloke and I get the feeling Andrew Phillips is like that and needs to be given that opportunity. He's got some dirt about him too which I like.

Kreuzer to be 'rested'.

Let Whiley play with Cripps. I'd like to see them in tandem onball.

I'm still a bit keen on seeing Docherty play onball too.

So my 'outs' would then be - Walker, Kreuzer, Graham + one more which I'll have to have a think about. You could raffle it! White?? One of Buckley/Boekhorst?

I like the boldness of your suggestions, though we've been quite conservative with selection this year so doubt there would be such wholesale changes. Plus BB sees our poor effort yesterday, hopefully, as being a one-off.

Apparently Murphy will be ready and if so, Graham would be the obvious demotion. And you would think that Walker's replacement for this Saturday will be Everitt.

I do like the idea of giving Gowers a go down back and releasing Tuohy to the wing which means Buckley or Boekhorst have to go to the NBs (personally I'd send Buckley back and persist with Boekhorst).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #53

Jaksch and Cuningham appear to be stories on the positive side: both got more ball than they have recently. 9 marks to Jones also looks positive. 5 possessions to Smith is a disaster.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54

I'd pay good money to see someone try Touhy somewhere other than the backline. Not sure why he has never been given a go on the half forward or in particular wing where he seems a natural fit. Such a strong player, fast and a long kick + good shot for goal. Perfect wingman.

Reply #55
I'd pay good money to see someone try Touhy somewhere other than the backline. Not sure why he has never been given a go on the half forward or in particular wing where he seems a natural fit. Such a strong player, fast and a long kick + good shot for goal. Perfect wingman.

Could do a lot worse than try him there.

Reply #56

x2...very loose half back but the attacking side of his game is what makes him as a player and I agree the wing would suit him...its not like we dont have plenty of half back options either..

Reply #57
Unfortunately he's very much a straight line player, which plays yo his strength of kicking long when he has his momentum up.

He would not be as effective on the turn. 

Reply #58
I'd argue he has to do a lot more around the corner stuff running deep into the back pocket than if he were on the wing. Seems a strange limitation to raise when you don't know because he's never been tried there. May not work but it is odd that it hasn't even been tried.

Reply #59
Some blokes need to ran at the ball and keep running, further up the ground you need to head back towards goal after getting the pill and some blokes struggle with that nuance of the game. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?