Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 49967 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #165
Some of the older players were shown up tonight for their real worth to the team, clearly they are on a limited tenure. I reckon Cripps is carrying an injury, he was grimacing a lot tonight. Gibbs wanted to just do his waving arms routine all night instead of getting his shorts dirty. Simon White annoyed me immensely due to his constant giving up the chase when we were under siege.

The young guys struggled but kept fighting it out even though they were badly outclassed.

Some supporters will be all bitter & twisted over a loss of this proportion but you have to expect the occasional blowout whilst the players grow & develop. Whilst it hurts to get smacked in that manner, its what you learn from the result that is of real importance IMO.

The green shoots weren't as obvious tonite but if they are hurting after that loss, then we will be okay in the future.

By the way, don't beat yourself up over this game, take a deep breath and keep thinking about how bright our future really is even though you may not be able to see it right now.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #166
R8, 2001 - CFC 142, BL 68 - Bastards went on to win the flag. I was hoping it would be us.

Yep, I was at that game. I remember Akermanis saying how it was seared into their souls and how they channe!ed their hatred of us into a winning mindset.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #167
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/22/bolton-power-thrashing-a-great-lesson-for-our-kids/

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton is confident that the club’s 90 point loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night will be a valuable learning experience for the raft of Blues youngsters that took to the field at Adelaide Oval.

Bolton’s decision to rest experienced players Matthew Krezuer and Dale Thomas due to soreness and instead play debutant Cameron Poulson and 30-game ruckman Andrew Phillips was met with shock by both supporters and the media, with the prevailing belief that the Blues would play a more experienced team when outside Victoria to help the young side restrict the potential losing margin.

Bolton stood by his selection table choices despite the ugly result, believing the experience of playing in a hostile environment against fancied opposition will be a valuable lesson to the club’s younger players.
“I just thought it was too good of an opportunity for our youngsters to miss. Friday night footy, hostile environment, big crowd,” he told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“In time, it is a long game and it should pay us back… these youngsters have been doing well in the VFL and we think they deserve this opportunity (at AFL level).”
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #168
Direct footy was mentioned somewhere in this thread.

It's a double edged sword to go direct.

Opponents read it quickly and set up for it.

You have to have a good forwardline to capitalise and good forward pressure, and good organisation behind the ball in order to prevent quick counter attacks. 

None of that is true of our team currently except for our defence and so we are trying something else.  That is that you cannot concede whilst you have the ball, and you make your opposition block the defence with numbers resulting in them locking themselves in defence for you.  Where we are currently getting burnt is not lowering the eyes and hitting targets inside forward fifty which means that the above isn't eventuating.

Patience.  This is the key.

Direct footy is exciting but it results in end to end stuff where physical prowess decides games.  That's not our go, so we don't play that way,and rightly so.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #169
I think Bolts is trying to do a mini Hawks with the team - short, precise kicking, keepings off, waiting for the right option etc. But we're not up to it, pure and simple. Bolton keeps using the word connection, and makes repeated reference to the teams lack of connection. Hopefully he can get us to play that way, but I'm not hopeful.

The simple fact is that any team can only hold on to the ball for so long before they cough it up. 30-40 seconds of playing kick and catch in your own half is 30-40 seconds wasted IMO.

It's a game that invites chaos - the ball bounce is variable, all the ground are different proportions / sizes, players can come at you from any direction, no offside etc. Why not embrace the chaos ? There's a fine line between too much order and too little. I think Bolton is over compensating to be honest.

Reply #170
Yep, I was at that game. I remember Akermanis saying how it was seared into their souls and how they channe!ed their hatred of us into a winning mindset.

Yes, we thrashed Brisbane at our only meeting and beat the other Grand Finalist , Essendon twice, first time without alot of our guns. 2001 was a waste.

Reply #171
@ Blue Avenger

Excellent post. We must hold our nerve.

X2
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #172
Read the first page and it's shake your head stuff. For years we as a Carlton collective have been crying out for change, we must embrace the draft, build from the bottom, NO MORE quick fixes. The club has done that and when things get a little hard we start to sook it up.

It's hard to be competitive when you have a team of babies going up against a team in their prime. The third quarter showed that, what we saw from Port is where we'll be in 3-4 years time. For now we have to do the hard yards watching a team that is just too young and inexperienced to be in a winning position.

I saw Kruddler put up a comparison of coaches and their wining percentages, sorry Krudd but that is not relevant. This is the FIRST TIME Carlton has truly embraced the draft, so you cannot compare any former Carlton coach with Bolton as they are on different paths.

I'm not really concerned about what Murphy, Gibbs and Simmo do, I'm only looking at our players 23 and under.

Jack Silvagni - A workman like game yet again, does the tough stuff, gets to the right places and plays a true team game. A few unrewarded chases and some dropped marks that need to be tidied up on, but a step forward.

Weitering - Needs to be given a block of games down back, he's just not getting the ball and for a man with his talent he can set up more plays from CHB. When he went back in the third we looked a bit surer around the ball.

Charlie Curnow - Best game so far, I doubt we can have both CC and Jack in the one forward line, just like going out drinking, keep to one or the other or you'll have a bad time. Great marks and used the ball the best he has so far.

Macreadie - Never afraid, decent kick and in constant motion. Is being played on smaller guys so he doesn't get smashed by the bigger frames but we have picked up a steam here. Thanks GWS for not matching our bid. I wouldn't mind using him down forward for a game or two while bringing Weitering down back to see what he could do up front.

Samo - Needs to learn to move the ball quicker. Has shown great evasion skills but players are aware he will try to step them now, so a quick give will allow him to use his evasion on occasion with more effect.

Fisher - Love this kid. He is a terrier who gets knocked down and gets up straight away and goes again. Always looks for the right option and has the skills to back it up.

Williamson - 2nd gamer my ass! Looks in control, has a beautiful kicking style and works hard and smart. With the other talls down there hasn't had to do much in the air so I don't know how good he is there, but is a ready made replacement for Simmo at years end.

Poulson - Like his attitude, loved his run down tackle and one other thing stood out to me. He was on a wing near the boundary, got the ball and gave it off to Murph, then it was instinctual, he looked at Murphs trailing player and laid a shepherd. For so long our players have not protected the ball carrier like other teams do, in Cams first game he did it. Good debut, now back it up and get better.

Plowman - Starting to become Mr Reliable down back, reading the play so much better than last season and his disposal is coming up to where his junior bio read. Reminds me a bit of Peter Dean in the way he'll sacrifice his body to spoil.

Marchbank - Great instincts and love his attitude, but I think his mind is ahead of his skills. Time to use the K.I.S.S. method when getting rid of the ball. Is going to be a stud down back in the coming years.

Pickett - Loved his take off on the wing, then he ran too far but he wanted to run which opened the play up and I think gave us a one on one to advantage in forward 50 which didn't happen very often. It bugs me sometimes to see him jog behind play, be he hasn't had a full pre season yet, being injured when he came to the club and a bit chubby.

Right there is half the team who are all babies in bodies, experience and age. They are are future foundation to build around and they will get smashed, but each time they do it's an investment in the future of the club. We will go again to the draft this season having early picks, maybe Kruezer goes via FA and Gibbs via trade getting us a few extra picks inside 30.

It doesn't matter this year where we finish, what matters is getting games of experience into these players and hopefully they learn and get better quickly.

Very well said son
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #173
I think Bolts is trying to do a mini Hawks with the team - short, precise kicking, keepings off, waiting for the right option etc. But we're not up to it, pure and simple. Bolton keeps using the word connection, and makes repeated reference to the teams lack of connection. Hopefully he can get us to play that way, but I'm not hopeful.

He'll turn grey waiting for that to happen...lol.

Reply #174
Me too.

It was my mates 21st. We died his hair Blue (he was a lions supporter).

FWIW, Lions did lose another game, 1, just, late in the season.
It was certainly the last flogging they received before their 3-peat though.
Nope, we're both wrong. They lost the following week in rnd 9 by 5 pts to Adelaide, then didnt lose a game and won the flag.

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/brisbanel/allgames.html
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #175
7 teenagers.   I count 10 players with less than 30 games, 6 of them with less than 10.  The one I think has the most upside had a breakout game in his 10th (or so) game.  Charlie Curnow.  What a great game for a kid.  He can cover the ground and take contested marks.  You bloody ripper.  There were people jabbering on about playing him in the 2's, he wasn't up to it at AFL level, another wasted pick, etc...  Give the boys a chance.  They're boys.  They need to learn together.  It would be nice if we had 20 top line senior players and could play a couple of kids at a time, but we don't.  If we played 22 of our senior hacks and retreads there'd be a riot on here with people wanting to sack the coach for not giving the kids a chance.  Some of them will get rested when they need it, not just coz they've played a few games of footy.  If they've got the mental toughness it won't hurt them a bit, it'll spur them on.  If they don't this is how we'll find out, and they can bugger off.  Work 'em hard Bolts, and weed out the fraudsters.

Going back to somebody else's post.  Hodge, Lewis & Mitchell were kids and got flogged, and they turned out alright.  Why, coz they're tough as cats heads.  This is one way to find out, and unfortunately for us, we don't have many other options.

Reply #176
Oh yeah, and one more thing.  We do have a fair bit of pace, and a few who are a bit slower.  But think of finals.  Who wins finals?  Tough teams do.  We need some speed, no doubt about it, but it doesn't hurt to have some slower, mentally tough footballers.  SOJ is a bit slow, but I see him a little like the Bulldog's Dixon.  Not a great athlete, but a smart forward.  Cripps is a bit like Swans Kennedy, a contested ball beast, who just has to be fast enough to get to the next contest.  Both of them seem totally committed footballers to me, and you need them (and your speedsters of course) to win flags.

Reply #177
Hi Fellow Blue Baggers,

I havnt read all the posts so I am not sure if this has been said:

What would we be talking about if the likes of Jones, Kerridge, Palmer, Thomas, Jasck, Schemdts, Graham, Buckley played tonight and we still got beaten. We would be calling for blood.

The club warned preseason to expect ups and downs and yes this was a big down.

I am happy to watch the kids play and get beat. Better this then the other way

Reply #178
So true !!

Reply #179
12 pages and lots of interesting insights, suggestions, and reviews.  Congratulations to all contributors and allow me to summarise.  Hmmm, let's see ... we're screwed.
Keyboard warrior #24601