Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 The Final Practice Match! (Read 6445 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 The Final Practice Match!

Reply #15
You read my mind Townsend.... "Trained the house down" we were told.  I call bulldust.  Strike one against Russell.

So it's not fitness he lacks, :o

just love! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
To be fair, it's a pretty tough gig being a small forward at Carlton at the moment - until we regularly smash the ball in quickly and the little guys start reading the chaos that should be caused by McGovern, McKay and Curnow, it is going to be slim pickings.  And none of Fasolo, E.Curnow, Polson or Gibbons have the Betts-like gift to make something out of nothing.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #17
We were sold the myth that ‘post indiscretion’ he trained the house down and fitness wise, he was cherry ripe. Were we told a few porkies, or is he just not adjusting to the tempo of the game at this stage???

His game style isnt the modern pressure smaller forward type, dont think it has much to do with his fitness...he needs the ball delivered well either on the lead or to his advantage in the air.
That wont happen with our work in progress forward line and he wont be chasing/tackling Puopolo style either.
We need a quicker more modern day pressure forward type.......people forget that Fasalo played Full Forward for Collingwood at one stage, this modern small forward pressure stuff is like a foreign language to him.

Reply #18
Then why did we recruit this bloke?

The mandated role is small forward = if you haven't got the ball,  apply  pressure. Don't stand there.....do something!

If he won't do it,  then piss off the bludger.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
Then why did we recruit this bloke?

The mandated role is small forward = if you haven't got the ball,  apply  pressure. Don't stand there.....do something!

If he won't do it,  then piss off the bludger.

Prof...We need to kick more goals to win games and he was free thats why we got him......Polson is probably the more logical small pressure forward type with Pickett injured(did I say that? :))
Fasalo is a marking target mainly who can also crumb/snap the odd goal but its his leading/marking ability that have been his trademark.
I dont think he was recruited as a pressure forward at all and like I said he played FF at Collingwood and at no stage has he played as the small pressure forward role.

Probably why Puopolo has been so good is that he started as a backpocket in the SANFL and brought those defensive aspects with him but learned the forward role on the fly
and can provide both the pressure defensive acts as well as being a very strong mark for his inches when playing forward and reads the play so well.

Reply #20
We were sold the myth that ‘post indiscretion’ he trained the house down and fitness wise, he was cherry ripe. Were we told a few porkies, or is he just not adjusting to the tempo of the game at this stage???

My guess would be that, firstly, he adjusted his attitude after the stuff up to a high level, ie his attitude became exemplary.

Then, body wise,  The Terrier did all he could do, got him fit and raring to go.

Then there's match fitness and he can only get that from games.

Complicating the scenario is that the bloke hasn't played senior footy for yonks... so it's going to take a few games at the highest level to get him in the groove, though letting him get some strong touch in Magoos might not be a bad idea.

Only those at the club would know if he's tracking well and is doing everything right - so persist and he'll improve... build it and he will come... ;)

We've got a few blokes in a similar boat to Fas at the minute... not delivering well enough - Garlett, Setterfield, Polson, Charlie, Ed... even ZF isn't hurting the opposition enough. Then we're missing Doc, Kreuz, Marchbank, Williamson... sheesh, together that's more than half our best side... too much being left to too few! I'm starting to depress myself... mmm, I know there's some vodka around here, somewhere...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
Was he so slow when he played for the pies?

Reply #22

No, the rest of the competition didn't move as fast as they do today.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
His game style isn't the modern pressure smaller forward type, don't think it has much to do with his fitness...he needs the ball delivered well either on the lead or to his advantage in the air.
That wont happen with our work in progress forward line and he wont be chasing/tackling Puopolo style either.
We need a quicker more modern day pressure forward type.......people forget that Fasolo played Full Forward for Collingwood at one stage, this modern small forward pressure stuff is like a foreign language to him.
Alas, I agree totally. One of the reasons I would not have recruited him.
However, we have him now, so we have to get the best out of him. Having him one out might be useful, but I can't see that translating to the seniors.
His pace: he wasn't slow 5 years ago, but the game continues to speed up. How that leaves him, I don't know. However, if he is going to be slower, then he needs to be smarter. I haven't seen any of that yet either.
Certainly, until he gets some form and confidence he isn't the option in the ones. If he can show something in the VFL, then maybe he is worth a try.

There is one name who has fallen off the radar now that H and Charlie are the senior options: Casboult. He is looking fitter and more mobile than he ever has and has been doing tackling ad chasing (Yes, miracles have been happening). He also gives a ruck option. I am not suggesting he is ready for a recall, but he must be closer than he has been for quite a while.

Filling the small forward role is problematic at the moment with our options. I think we were really hoping that little Le Bois was going to be the answer. Alas, I remain surprised he remains on our list. Pickett is the one one we hoped was going to be the small forward option. At times he has been close, but his injuries have really put him behind the pack. I'm not sure he can make it back, no matter what I hope.
I am hoping that Murphy can get the job, but we seem to be playing him further up field.

I'd like to see Gibbons get more time in the middle.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24

Average trainer was Fas and known for his portly rear end when at the Pies, started as a wingman when he first came over and wasnt slow but injuries saw him used forward more and the pace left him as he didnt spend much time in the midfield.
Didnt get an easy time from the ratpack either and didnt enjoy his footy at times which affected his attitude to training and would have added to his mental health issues later on.
Hope he can improve as he is a nice bloke and good with the fans....

Reply #25
We always seem to have too many that are nice blokes, good with the fans, but aren't up to it

Reply #26
My guess would be that, firstly, he adjusted his attitude after the stuff up to a high level, ie his attitude became exemplary.

Then, body wise,  The Terrier did all he could do, got him fit and raring to go.

Then there's match fitness and he can only get that from games.

Complicating the scenario is that the bloke hasn't played senior footy for yonks... so it's going to take a few games at the highest level to get him in the groove, though letting him get some strong touch in Magoos might not be a bad idea.

Only those at the club would know if he's tracking well and is doing everything right - so persist and he'll improve... build it and he will come... ;)

We've got a few blokes in a similar boat to Fas at the minute... not delivering well enough - Garlett, Setterfield, Polson, Charlie, Ed... even ZF isn't hurting the opposition enough. Then we're missing Doc, Kreuz, Marchbank, Williamson... sheesh, together that's more than half our best side... too much being left to too few! I'm starting to depress myself... mmm, I know there's some vodka around here, somewhere...

Exactly. Not sure why Fasolo is copping most of the heat - when we get beaten in the centre bounces we (obviously) aren't getting first use of the ball. Then our slow, cumbersome, haphazard ball movement back out of D50 comes to the fore and our mids often chop it up - let's be brutally honest - Charlie pre injury was terrible, mcGovern not much better and the other forwards (Harry aside) were hardly doing much either....

Fisher has had a slow start, ditto Setterfield and Murphy. Ed Curnow is a tagger or a 2s player. You get the sense BB is trying to find a spot in the 22 for him (just not in the guts).

Gibbons needs time in the guts, Murphy needs time forward. Again, BB very slow or reluctant to try a Plan B during the match - it's costing us.

Yet Fas cops it?

Garlett - time to man (toughen) up or head back to WA. I agree with others - he's no defender - he's an outside mid/wing or small forward. Again, BB slow to change things up?

Phillips ain't setting the world on fire, I don't see him as a replacement for kreuzer that's for sure....

Our problems are across the field.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
Actually I though Fisher was OK against the Tigers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
Actually I though Fisher was OK against the Tigers.

Yes ok, agreed. Against Port, largely invisible...but not on his pat.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
Yes ok, agreed. Against Port, largely invisible...but not on his pat.

Is it tenable to think Cripps, Setterfield, Fisher and SPS can all be dominant at the same time, or is it natural for some to be quiet when another is having a good day?

I think a good example is actually Boak, Rockliff and Ebert having good days in the absence of the injured Wines and departed Wingard, when Wines returns will Boak or Rockliff fade?

The stats say they have to fade, because the average number of possessions do not continue to rise without cap! Despite building a formidable midfield, perhaps twice the depth of our own, Collingwood do not have twice as many possessions.
The Force Awakens!