Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59909 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #15
Agree, Principal LODS. I think I said before the first game that this group needs a big win, a real 'kill', and you're right, it might be the tonic that gets the ball rolling. Man I hope so.

What little confidence we have is so brittle, easily broken. Longmire dismantled us quite easily today, and too many who coach against BB are able to do the same. This is one of my main wants for a more experienced senior coach... someone who can immediately identify the opposition coach's moves and be able to counteract, or believe holding course will do the trick or ...whatever.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
If we don't stick with Bolton it has to be an 'opposite'.
Someone who has tasted success as a coach  at a pretty high level....at least finals.

Look, This thread has been coming...I'm surprised it's taken this long.
But before we sink this experiment, and it will be a dramatic and traumatic sinking, I'd like to see us get a win and see what happens from there.

Folks are right
We're in a rut, where winning has become this foreign thing, and it's feeding on itself.
If we were to pull off a win and then follow it up it may be just the tonic we need to kick start this rebuild.
The fear is that it will only take a really bad loss or two and the move towards change will be irreversible.

One win vs a struggling team we are meant to beat in GC wont change much...Bolton needs some big scalps and needs to score some victories of his own in the coaching box
where tactically he has proven to be lacking hence we have this farcical arrangement with Walls as a silent mentor.
I'd be changing the support crew...its obvious that Brett Ratten has been a real plus for Richo at the Saints and we need a class assistant to take over some of the main tasks especially planning and tactics.

Reply #17
I guess the problem is

We've tried transitioning an assistant into the senior role. (Brittain)
We've tried the supercoach (Pagan)
We've given the job to a passionate favourite son (Ratten)
Back to the supercoach to take us that final step (Malthouse)….and then levelled the joint and rebuilt it with a promising youngster with a good assistant reputation. (Bolton)

Now if this doesn't work...
Where do we go from here...and more importantly how do we take the members and supporters with us....because their faith will be severely dented, and trust gone.
A coach will never get the same latitude to rebuild again.

Reply #18
One win vs a struggling team we are meant to beat in GC wont change much...Bolton needs some big scalps and needs to score some victories of his own in the coaching box
where tactically he has proven to be lacking hence we have this farcical arrangement with Walls as a silent mentor.
I'd be changing the support crew...its obvious that Brett Ratten has been a real plus for Richo at the Saints and we need a class assistant to take over some of the main tasks especially planning and tactics.

No one win won't...it would have to be a win that triggered a series of wins.

Reply #19
Personally I think we need to stick it out with Bolts. Richmond supporters wanted Hardwick’s head on a plate only 3 seasons ago, ditto Collingwood supporters and Buckley. Coaches learn from mistakes and Bolts will do the same. If we went with someone new, it would be a rookie coach, time has shown the recycled coaches don’t seem to measure up these days, so i’d rather stick with the rookie we have.
Spot on, people are simply running out of patience and as Pauly said pulling out the John Elliott Play Book. Sure, the losses are patience sapping, but we need to stay the course. The signs are there, we just need to do it for longer periods. If our board jumps at the shadows and gets Ross Lyon, that will be the end for me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
I guess the problem is

We've tried transitioning an assistant into the senior role. (Brittain)
We've tried the supercoach (Pagan)
We've given the job to a passionate favourite son (Ratten)
Back to the supercoach to take us that final step (Malthouse)….and then levelled the joint and rebuilt it with a promising youngster with a good assistant reputation. (Bolton)

Now if this doesn't work...
Where do we go from here...and more importantly how do we take the members and supporters with us....because their faith will be severely dented, and trust gone.
A coach will never get the same latitude to rebuild again.

Starting with Parkin, the pattern has been : experienced / rookie / experienced / rookie / experienced / rookie. I guess after Bolton we need an old geezer to keep the streak alive. But this time, we should do it properly. Get Barassi. He's old enough, successful enough, and I believe can deliver a good spray. To quote the title of a Fauves album, The Young Need Discipline !

Reply #21
Starting with Parkin, the pattern has been : experienced / rookie / experienced / rookie / experienced / rookie. I guess after Bolton we need an old geezer to keep the streak alive. But this time, we should do it properly. Get Barassi. He's old enough, successful enough, and I believe can deliver a good spray. To quote the title of a Fauves album, The Young Need Discipline !

To go further, it was two stubborn dinosaurs well past their best and two coaches that had played the same amount of AFL footy as all of us on here............none! The one younger rookie coach who had played did a good job and for the only time in the last 18 years.

There's a bit more to the pattern.

Reply #22
Spot on, people are simply running out of patience and as Pauly said pulling out the John Elliott Play Book. Sure, the losses are patience sapping, but we need to stay the course. The signs are there, we just need to do it for longer periods. If our board jumps at the shadows and gets Ross Lyon, that will be the end for me.

No signs. It's the same as it was at the start of the rebuild. Lots of honorables losses and not much else. Nothing's changed. Just not winning 4th year in.

Doubt we get Ross Lyon.

Reply #23
No signs. It's the same as it was at the start of the rebuild. Lots of honorables losses and not much else. Nothing's changed. Just not winning 4th year in.

Doubt we get Ross Lyon.

Wrong. A lot has changed.

The personnel have changed. What we have now has a lot more scope to improve over what we had before.

To come at it from a different point of view..
Its like we have a sore leg, are options are to take some drugs that will most likely fix it.
or
Have it amputated and never have to worry about it again.

We took the drugs 5 minutes ago and it hasn't worked immediately so we wanna switch and get our leg amputated.  Slight overreaction don't you think? Perhaps we should give it some time to let the drugs work?

Keep in mind Bolton is working with at least a 25% new least each year.

Reply #24
Yeah Ratten did okay, having one of the greatest players of all time helped.

SOS needs to recruit a gun next year, it's the right time.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
Wrong. A lot has changed.

The personnel have changed. What we have now has a lot more scope to improve over what we had before.

To come at it from a different point of view..
Its like we have a sore leg, are options are to take some drugs that will most likely fix it.
or
Have it amputated and never have to worry about it again.

We took the drugs 5 minutes ago and it hasn't worked immediately so we wanna switch and get our leg amputated.  Slight overreaction don't you think? Perhaps we should give it some time to let the drugs work?

Keep in mind Bolton is working with at least a 25% new least each year.

This is the 4th year in. 3 wins in 35, non discernible game plan, poorly drilled is simply not good enough. 4th year in you should at least have the building blocks of that. Not even close. We haven't improved at all. 4th year you should be looking at top 10, no ifs or buts.

Reply #26
Yeah Ratten did okay, having one of the greatest players of all time helped.

SOS needs to recruit a gun next year, it's the right time.

One player isn't going to change things to that extent no matter how good they are. Ratten did very well. Compared to everyone else he stands out like  beacon this century. Can't beat the scoreboard.

Anyway, I agree...gun time!!!!

Reply #27
This is the 4th year in. 3 wins in 35, non discernible game plan, poorly drilled is simply not good enough. 4th year in you should at least have the building blocks of that. Not even close. We haven't improved at all. 4th year you should be looking at top 10, no ifs or buts.

Well we've established that you can count years he's been in the job.

Now lets see if you can count players on the list that Bolton hasn't coached before this season.

It is a DIFFERENT list to what we had 3 years ago, 2 years ago.....last year!

We are a much younger, much different side to what we had 3 years ago.

As for the game plan. What is it?

People always point to 'the game plan' when a team is losing. Only time anyone has had any idea about what the game plan is was when Mick was coach and it was highly publicised in the media re going along the boundary line. People hung onto that fact and kept rolling it out ad nauseum, despite the fact he changed the game plan after round 3.

So, you want to complain about it, define what it is. Or better yet, tell us how you know it is not working.

As i said, we lost because we missed the big sticks. I'm sure its not in his game plan  to kick behinds instead of goals, so maybe the game plan isn't the problem?

Reply #28
Let’s say we do swing the axe.

Who are the options to take over next year?

Apart from Ross Lyon it’s hard to see any established coach coming over. And I think there is consensus that we don’t want Lyon.

Whoever we get as senior coach I’m hoping we hire Luke Hodge as ‘conditioning’ coach if he retires. Mental conditioning that is. We need to harden up.

Reply #29
If we sack the coach I'll cancel my membership.

The organisation needs to take a good hard look at itself before looking for a scapegoat.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson