Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 112338 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1591
What set me off was there was an MSN article on the newsfeed today that said Saturn had gone past Jupiter as the planet with the most satellites.

https://www.sciencealert.com/over-60-unknown-moons-have-been-identified-orbiting-saturn

I just thought it was funny that 50 years ago we only had about a dozen

The kicker is this....
Interestingly enough, the criteria for defining a moon, or natural satellite, are fairly broad. There's no shape or mass or diameter or composition requirement; the object in question just needs to have a stable orbit around another, larger body that isn't a star

Given both planets have their own set of rings, which, obviously, orbit the moon, the number is more likely going to increase by several orders of magnitude.
Until they update what a moon is in terms of size, the numbers will explode. Similarly, thats what they did to poor pluto when the decided to define what a planet wise, Pluto didn't fit the bill.

Reply #1592
What set me off was there was an MSN article on the newsfeed today that said Saturn had gone past Jupiter as the planet with the most satellites.

https://www.sciencealert.com/over-60-unknown-moons-have-been-identified-orbiting-saturn

I just thought it was funny that 50 years ago we only had about a dozen
Like the change in the definition of Pluto, you might want to investigate "What is a Moon, and how it is defined?"

Technically these bodies are satellites, whether a satellite is natural or man made makes little difference, nobody "in the trade" calls them moons, moon is outreach / media speak things that go around a planet.

It's a bit like when referring to stars the media call them suns, there is really only one moon, moon is a satellite of earth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1593
I prefer Luna.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1594
Like the change in the definition of Pluto, you might want to investigate "What is a Moon, and how it is defined?"

Technically these bodies are satellites, whether a satellite is natural or man made makes little difference, nobody "in the trade" calls them moons, moon is outreach / media speak things that go around a planet.

It's a bit like when referring to stars the media call them suns, there is really only one moon, moon is a satellite of earth!

Moon Scientists can call them whatever they like.
We've already established scientists are not the font of all wisdom and are still learning.

Big M =Moon-Earth's one
Little m=moon

National Geographic
"A moon is an object that orbits a planet or something else that is not a star. Besides planets, moons can circle dwarf planets, large asteroids, and other bodies. Objects that orbit other objects are also called satellites, so moons are sometimes called natural satellites. People have launched many artificial satellites into orbit around Earth, but these are not considered moons."

Reply #1595
Moon Scientists can call them whatever they like.
We've already established scientists are not the font of all wisdom and are still learning.

Big M =Moon-Earth's one
Little m=moon

National Geographic
"A moon is an object that orbits a planet or something else that is not a star. Besides planets, moons can circle dwarf planets, large asteroids, and other bodies. Objects that orbit other objects are also called satellites, so moons are sometimes called natural satellites. People have launched many artificial satellites into orbit around Earth, but these are not considered moons."
So then I presume the must be a definition of when "a satellite" becomes "a moon", care to share, moons as a subset of satellites I presume?

The ambiguity is in the language not in the science, there are rules and definitions set by the Planetary Society and the IAU, they do not get used by mainstream media and publishing because editors think they are too confusing, the editors think the general public isn't apparently smart enough to deal with it, so press releases and announcements get dumbed down.

Because those definitions change with new knowledge, the counts can change accordingly, a bit like when a new species is found, we are finding new species every day faster than we find new sexualities apparently! :o

I surveyed the Astrophysics archives and found about 6:1 "satellite" versus "moon", most references to moon appear in the abstracts for reasons already discussed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1596

You didn't read my post before this one of yours, or the article highlighted.

But it's not sufficient just to spot an object near a planet and declare that you've found a new moon. The object needs to be tracked – ideally for several orbits – so that its path can be analyzed to determine if it's stable. So while shifting and stacking can reveal faint objects, taking many such observations is needed to confirm moon status.
The number of 'moons' is dependent on how many of them have been tracked and deemed stable enough to be a moon.

As i said earlier, given both Jupiter and Saturn have rings, obviously made up of rocks and/or ice, the number of 'moons' will increase exponentially once we work out how to track them properly.

All of them orbit a planet.
All of them would be deemed stable.
Size doesn't matter.
So all of them are essentially moons under the current 'definition'.
I suspect a new one will be made soon ala Drawf planets to exclude a lot of these recently found moons.

Reply #1597

All of them orbit a planet.
All of them would be deemed stable.
Size doesn't matter.
So all of them are essentially moons under the current 'definition'.
I suspect a new one will be made soon ala Drawf planets to exclude a lot of these recently found moons.

I see to recall a lot of conjecture about Phobos and Deimos, Mars two companions… Phobos (I think…) is potato shaped and as such (ie not spherical) was theorized as potentially being a captured passing space rock and therefore not a Moon (Earth like) but merely a moon in orbit.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1598
So who's this then (from the HS):

Deadline: Troubled AFL star winning few friends with gangster routine

This troubled AFL star doesn’t seem to respond well to feedback on field, warning rivals who sledge him that he’s going to shoot them.
Mark Buttler
 and
Andrew Rule
May 18, 2023 - 12:13PM
The footballer’s gangster routine would make Jules from Pulp Fiction proud.
Gun player shoots from the lip

A troubled footy star whose career isn’t going as planned would be better off looking for the Sherrin instead of trouble.

If rivals start gobbing off, it might be best for him to learn the value of turning the other cheek — as opposed to his present approach of telling them he’s going to shoot them.

This gangsta routine is more evidence that our AFL hero’s skinny possession stats are considerably higher than his IQ.

The article goes on...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1599
So who's this then (from the HS):
Firstly, you know whoever it is they are a fan of Tupac and Yeezy, a numpty who thinks the Monster Gangsta Rappers are the real deal, and not actually actors who are busy getting makeup and pedicures before a performance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1600
its either Dow or Weitering.

:D
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1601
Oh Lidia, oh, Lidia, say have you met Lidia
Oh, Lidia, litigious lady

As much as some of the debate about football on here can turn bizarre, it's go nothing on real life!
The Force Awakens!

General Discussions

Reply #1602
It's going to be very interesting to see where the political will takes this Ben Roberts-Smith situation. I'm not sure at all that in modern war and terrorism the scenario was a cut and dry as the media wants to make out.

I read a transcript that was allegedly from one of his SAS comrades, I gather it won't ever be published because it sits outside the media narrative. The soldier talked about how they expected to perish trapped in a fire fight, then Roberts-Smith seemingly targeted a couple of seemingly innocent unarmed individuals, and the fighting miraculously stopped. His comrades then managed to extricate themselves from an otherwise very bad situation.

Retrospectively Roberts-Smith was accused of firing on unarmed civilians, but for the life on me I can't reconcile that with the outcome that results in the enemy downing weapons. For example, doesn't the same act as allegedly done by Russia only strengthen the Ukraine's resolve?

In an era when the enemy can be a young female in a burca wearing an IED, I'm not sure how you can possibly fight a conventional war.

It reads to me like Roberts-Smith was particularly skilled at identifying the master puppeteers and targeting them strategically. We can never know if he got it right or wrong, but I'm not even sure I know what is right or wrong in 2000s!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1603
A self confessed republican named as the 30th Governor of Victoria? Is it just me who's farked or did I miss the memo that the world has officially gone mad?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1604
A self confessed republican named as the 30th Governor of Victoria? Is it just me who's farked or did I miss the memo that the world has officially gone mad?
Amazing how people's attitudes can change when gongs or prestigious appointments are on offer. 🤫🤣
Reality always wins in the end.