Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 13 Carlton vs Footscray (Read 2725 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 13 Carlton vs Footscray

Reply #15
The only sour note was the poor game from Motlop. Ran around and did SFA... no impact.

Yes Baggers, young Motlop didn't look very "engaged" in the quarter & half that I watched.  Certainly no second efforts.  Also looks to be still carrying plenty of puppy fat!   Perhaps time to start the real apprenticeship!         
Such as a run with roll (in VFL games) on an opposition's midfielder, or some time in the back pocket guarding their sharp moving small forwards.
He has to become more than the so called "deadly" sharp shooter if he is to play AFL.
cheers Ab

Reply #16
Some very decent names in the Dogs team, Ben Crocker again prominent, a nice win from the VFL team and nice to see Josh Honey in the goals. Hayes with good stats vs his old mob, with Martin out it might be Hayes and Honey fighting for his position.
I wouldnt pick Setterfield despite his stats and would stick with LOB and Cottrell on the wings.....

After the disappointment of Thursday night I found watching the Magoos from start to finish a real tonic, especially seeing some important AFL listed players stating a case for recall. There was a real fierce/desperate/tough energy in our senior listed players (except for Motlop) that was palpable.

You mention Crocker... holy cr@p he works hard, in one moment he's snapping for goal in the forward pocket then providing an option off the HBF. Be very surprised if he's not rookied by someone at year's end.

Will's stats were pretty good but he did make some uncharacteristic mistakes. Carroll was clean and really imposed himself on the contest, especially after half time. Stocks was, for moi, clearly bog when you factor in he played down back and didn't have the opportunities that the mids/wings did.

After half time, especially the third and half of the final qtr, the boys were tough and relentless and completely overwhelmed the Dishlickers. Doggies got a couple of late cheapies to improve the scoreboard for them.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
The only sour note was the poor game from Motlop. Ran around and did SFA... no impact.
He'll come good, he has all the tools.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
He'll come good, he has all the tools.
Confident you're right... one of the reasons he stood out last night, was like a sloth on Valium - clearly not right.

Reply #19
Not worried about Motlopo has shown enough to be a good player - shown more than Durdin has last year. Pre season and confidence will see him improve and possibly quite alot.

Reply #20
I had a post here that seemed to disappear. I'll replace it soon.

Good to see us win with so few tall options.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Not worried about Motlopo has shown enough to be a good player - shown more than Durdin has last year. Pre season and confidence will see him improve and possibly quite alot.
For me Corey Durdin is miles ahead of Motlop and always is having a crack, Jesse Motlop reminds me of all the other Motlops, great skills but goes missing and looks a tad laconic a bit too often especially when he doesnt have the ball or the odds are against him getting the ball. For me the Durdin, Owies and Fisher trio has served us well this season and you are going to have to expect some down games especially vs teams like Richmond who have a very good strong defense that go at you physically and combine well to cover each other. There wasnt much spare change from our forward entries for our three to go after and it was hard work breaking free on such a wet night. I view that as a learning experience and our blokes will do better next time in the wet.
Jesse needs a spell down back imo to learn a few more defensive skills and what to do when he doesnt have the ball and he will be a better player with that education otherwise he will just be another inconsistent highlight reel player.

Reply #22
I haven't seen the whole VFL game yet - it takes a little while for the AFL website to update things. However, if you see the highlights, you see a couple of absolutely magnificent things done by Kemp in defence. First was a top mark, the first big specky he's managed to hold as yet. The second is a trap of the ball and a kick off the ground unbalanced (while on the ground) that leads to a goal at the other end. Nothing short of brilliant.
I'd say that he has booked his ticket to next week's game on those two highlights alone.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
For me Corey Durdin is miles ahead of Motlop and always is having a crack, Jesse Motlop reminds me of all the other Motlops, great skills but goes missing and looks a tad laconic a bit too often especially when he doesnt have the ball or the odds are against him getting the ball. For me the Durdin, Owies and Fisher trio has served us well this season and you are going to have to expect some down games especially vs teams like Richmond who have a very good strong defense that go at you physically and combine well to cover each other. There wasnt much spare change from our forward entries for our three to go after and it was hard work breaking free on such a wet night. I view that as a learning experience and our blokes will do better next time in the wet.
Jesse needs a spell down back imo to learn a few more defensive skills and what to do when he doesnt have the ball and he will be a better player with that education otherwise he will just be another inconsistent highlight reel player.
No argument from me, Durdin will be a superstar, down abit at the moment but you still play him IMO. Motlop is way further behind in his development even for a small and even though he played some WAFL against men.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
For me Corey Durdin is miles ahead of Motlop and always is having a crack,
Agree, Corey Durdin is over the horizon ahead of the alternatives, does all the hard stuff some of the others do not do, Durdin is a hard worker who is a 24x7 footballer, not flash in the pan 5 minute man!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
I haven't seen the whole VFL game yet - it takes a little while for the AFL website to update things. However, if you see the highlights, you see a couple of absolutely magnificent things done by Kemp in defence. First was a top mark, the first big specky he's managed to hold as yet. The second is a trap of the ball and a kick off the ground unbalanced (while on the ground) that leads to a goal at the other end. Nothing short of brilliant.
I'd say that he has booked his ticket to next week's game on those two highlights alone.

Agree regarding Kemp. His aerial skills last night were a surprise for me. I think he was playing on Josh Bruce at times. Good signs for him 👏
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #26
Agree regarding Kemp. His aerial skills last night were a surprise for me. I think he was playing on Josh Bruce at times. Good signs for him 👏
His marking and kicking were a feature as an U18 player and defense is where he will play his best footy and use those skills imho.
The temptation with such a versatile player is to want to use those skills to bandaid/cheat in other positions as Andrew Walker could tell you but you put players where they play their best footy and find the right players for other positions.

Reply #27
His marking and kicking were a feature as an U18 player and defense is where he will play his best footy and use those skills imho.
The temptation with such a versatile player is to want to use those skills to bandaid/cheat in other positions as Andrew Walker could tell you but you put players where they play their best footy and find the right players for other positions.

Play them to their strengths you reckon EB? What a novel concept.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #28

Bruce got a hold of Kempy a few times. Was surprised to see on the club's website that Stocker didn't get in the best players or rate a mention! In the heat it was Stocks and Cincotta who repelled a lot of attacks. Kempy's 2nd half was outstanding... really attacked the contest and backed himself, was terrific to see. A few selection headaches for the MC next week.

Reply #29

He looked right at home last night in defense.