Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 4753 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 19 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Last time Preuss killed us in the ruck, but we got the job done anyway. It would be nice to see how thing have changed with Pitto potentially back and Tom de Koning playing much better.
Mind you, GWS are also playing somewhat better.

This is a must win. 1310 start time at Marvel on a Sunday afternoon.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 19 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #1
Pittonet and Gov got through ok. Both must be in serious consideration. Give TDK a rest or give him more 'down time' on the bench and down forward. He's had a hell of a 2 months!!

Reply #2
Just have to win this game if we want to experience a final. Simple as that.

Reply #3
Pittonet and Gov got through ok. Both must be in serious consideration. Give TDK a rest or give him more 'down time' on the bench and down forward. He's had a hell of a 2 months!!
TDK seemed to hurt his shoulder late in the last, hopefully he doesn't miss but knowing our luck...
For me:
In Pitto Gov LOB (sub if not injured)
Out Newman (getting slower by the week) Newnes (looks hurt) Honey
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Just want to see a lift from some of our young guns - bring heat to the contest and protect the defence then everything should take care of itself

Reply #5
Time to regroup, get Pitto and The Gov back and grind out a confidence boosting win.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Stocker, Weitering, Plowman
Docherty, Young, Saad
O'Brien, Cripps, Walsh
Silvagni, McKay, Fisher
Motlop, Curnow, Durdin
De Koning, Cerra, Hewett
Kennedy, Newman, Cottrell, Pittonet

Emerg: McGovern, Setterfield, Dow, Honey

Out - Hayes (susp), Newnes, Honey (unused sub)
In - O'Brien, Pittonet

Hopefully TDK's shoulder is ok.
Owies another week away apparently.
Martin close to returning. Test this week.
Does McGovern need another run in the 2's?

Reply #7
Stocker, Weitering, Plowman
Docherty, Young, Saad
O'Brien, Cripps, Walsh
Silvagni, McKay, Fisher
Motlop, Curnow, Durdin
De Koning, Cerra, Hewett
Kennedy, Newman, Cottrell, Pittonet

Emerg: McGovern, Setterfield, Dow, Honey

Out - Hayes (susp), Newnes, Honey (unused sub)
In - O'Brien, Pittonet

Hopefully TDK's shoulder is ok.
Owies another week away apparently.
Martin close to returning. Test this week.
Does McGovern need another run in the 2's?

Mcgovern definitely needs another week.

Simple changes for this week.

In Pitto.  Out Hayes.

Get Walsh and Fisher up the ground, and play with a taller forwardline with pitto and tom interchanging in the ruck, and lets get Silvagni back in the forward line.

Durdin also on thin ice.  Time to worry less about pressure in the forward line, and more about making them defend.

He went quiet on the weekend and that was all she wrote.  Also Newnes out, Lochie O'Brien back in.  Newnes has become a bit of a liability last few weeks, and not moving quick enough.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
I suspect the only change might be SoJ or TDK out, and Pitto in.

I'm sure I'll get push back from the Silvagni boosters, but SoJ has some waning form and I can't see us retaining all three of SoJ, TDK and Pitto at the expense of a lot of run and carry. Maybe if SoJ stays Newnes might be unlucky, with SoJ to a wing. Mind you, SoJ would be one of my first picked week in and week out, simply because he bleeds navy blue.

Oddly, as I was thinking about Kemp's lack of midfield opportunities, I thought back to when we used SoJ as a chop-out option for Cripps, this could again be useful when not required to ruck. Might have been very useful Saturday night if we had another ruck option available.

TDK is playing well but looks sore, some time off or even some time resting forward in place of SoJ might be the cure.

If Hayes goes out, LoB or Setterfield will be the only feasible ins, Hayes and Durdin had little impact against the Handbaggers, LoB and Setterfield were both good in the VFL.

@Thryleon  Agree on Gov, to me he looked out of touch and out of sorts, I thought Kemp had more VFL influence on the day.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
btw., Will we appeal the Hayes ban, or do we just dismiss it as just another MRO mystery?

In the video replay it appears to me like Hayes makes a perfectly legal tackle, and Menegola gets injured because he throws out his arms and twists his body looking for a holding the man free!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
btw., Will we appeal the Hayes ban, or do we just dismiss it as just another MRO mystery?

In the video replay it appears to me like Hayes makes a perfectly legal tackle, and Menegola gets injured because he throws out his arms and twists his body looking for a holding the man free!
As I said previously, lack of care dumping him and you have to show some degree of care when you tackle and throw players to the ground. It was all in one motion so not deliberate but still worth a week imho.

Reply #11
I suspect the only change might be SoJ or TDK out, and Pitto in.

I'm sure I'll get push back from the Silvagni boosters, but SoJ has some waning form and I can't see us retaining all three of SoJ, TDK and Pitto at the expense of a lot of run and carry.

With Pitto back, SOJ can concentrate on being the half forward he should be, instead of being smashed in the ruck for 30% of the game.

Our half-forward line is a chink atm - we have little or no height 70m out from goal unless Charlie or Harry venture up that far, hence the reason we get dominated in the air by intercepting half-backs.  With TDK able to spend more time there, and SOJ there permanently, this might improve quite a bit.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #12
As I said previously, lack of care dumping him and you have to show some degree of care when you tackle and throw players to the ground. It was all in one motion so not deliberate but still worth a week imho.
@ElwoodBlues1 How is what Menegola did different from ducking your head to win a free?

When the tackled player stages does he have some responsibility for his own welfware?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
The 2 weeks for Hayes' tackle is mind boggling.

Reply #14
On the wing positions - do we look at deploying Fisher and Walsh to the two wing spots? Cerra could rotate through also. Perhaps once Williams is back, we could push a half-back flanker up onto a wing. Thinking one of Newman, Doch, Saad, Williams.