Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 4754 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
Two supposedly easier games followed by three tougher ones in the run home.

Cripps was quiet for the first 3 terms against WC before imposing himself in the final term and was very subdued (or beaten) against the pussies - perhaps he is carrying a niggle or needs a rest after his explosive start to the season.

Here's an idea that is probably too much out of left field - IF he is carrying a niggle , which would benefit from being rested (or managed) for one of the next two games, maybe he could be named as the substitute - to break glass in case of emergency because we can't afford to lose one of the supposedly easier games.

As Dow seems to be considered as only a centre square midfielder, that would also give him a chance to show what he's got.

Reply #16
Club not challenging the Hayes suspension so he's a definite out.

O'Brien wasn't named in the best in the VFL on the club website so maybe Setterfield is a straight swap for Hayes? I'm not a big fan of Setterfield or what's he's achieved but seems a likely inclusion?

Pittonet definitely in for mine. Will allow TDK to spend more time forward and allow Silvagni to play that pressure forward role he plays so well. He was going at a goal a game or more in those first half a dozen weeks before Pittonet went down injured.

Charlie/Harry and TDK spending time forward will stretch GWS without Davis.

Toby Greene, as always, is the worrying match up so maybe Stocker gets first crack at him?

Would love McGovern back but with his injury history, another week in the VFL seems likely.

Reply #17
O'Brien only played part of a game and pick up disposals at will. He'll be back.  Is it a coincidence that Cripps played his best footy when Pittonet was in the team??  See Pittonet back in the team and watch Cripps fire up again.

Reply #18
I suspect the only change might be SoJ or TDK out, and Pitto in.

I'm sure I'll get push back from the Silvagni boosters, but SoJ has some waning form and I can't see us retaining all three of SoJ, TDK and Pitto at the expense of a lot of run and carry. Maybe if SoJ stays Newnes might be unlucky, with SoJ to a wing. Mind you, SoJ would be one of my first picked week in and week out, simply because he bleeds navy blue.

Oddly, as I was thinking about Kemp's lack of midfield opportunities, I thought back to when we used SoJ as a chop-out option for Cripps, this could again be useful when not required to ruck. Might have been very useful Saturday night if we had another ruck option available.

TDK is playing well but looks sore, some time off or even some time resting forward in place of SoJ might be the cure.

If Hayes goes out, LoB or Setterfield will be the only feasible ins, Hayes and Durdin had little impact against the Handbaggers, LoB and Setterfield were both good in the VFL.

@Thryleon  Agree on Gov, to me he looked out of touch and out of sorts, I thought Kemp had more VFL influence on the day.

Jack silvagni is leading the competition for marks on lead out of forward 50 and you want him dropped? 

What did he do to you?  The guy went quiet after we put him in the ruck this week and our scoring dried right up.

Sos is no superstar but he is way more important to our team than you think he is.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
Jack silvagni is leading the competition for marks on lead out of forward 50 and you want him dropped? 

What did he do to you?  The guy went quiet after we put him in the ruck this week and our scoring dried right up.

Sos is no superstar but he is way more important to our team than you think he is.
I'd have another 5 SOS's if I could over some of the other blokes we have on the list. Heart, courage and effort personified week in week out. Like you say, no superstar but if we make finals, just watch him and take note of his worth then.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
@ElwoodBlues1 How is what Menegola did different from ducking your head to win a free?

When the tackled player stages does he have some responsibility for his own welfware?
The act of him hitting his head on the ground was caused by Hayes tackle, the onus and responsibility lies with the tackler under the rules now, because Menegola was trying to duck the tackle it doesnt remove the duty of care..

Reply #21

Agree...we have done an Andrew Walker on Jack and asked of him to play out of his division and ruined his form which was excellent as a 3rd tall forward. Pittonet into ruck with TDK and Jack back to the forward line to regain his form and with a big pat on the back for the work he has done under real duress giving away size each week is how I would setup from now to the end of year injuries aside.

Reply #22
The act of him hitting his head on the ground was caused by Hayes tackle, the onus and responsibility lies with the tackler under the rules now, because Menegola was trying to duck the tackle it doesnt remove the duty of care..
I'll have to correct that @ElwoodBlues1‍ , Menegola didn't try to duck the tackle, Menegola dropped the pill, threw his free arm in the air and spun himself around without the footy, begging for Hayes to be penalised for holding the man.

It happens very quickly, because it is a rehearsed behaviour.

I'm very disappointed in the club's decision not to challenge, I don't see why Hayes should be penalised for what is basically a coached tactic from Menegola.

Why wasn't Dangerflog cited for an even more aggressive version of the same tackle on Fisher, except Fisher didn't stage but he didn't get concussion either, just luck?

It's just absurd for the rule to be the way it is.

Some blokes duck and get free kicks for high contact, some blokes duck and get pinged for holding the ball or incorrect disposal, some blokes get cited after the fact for an opponent ducking, it's untenable!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
LOB straight back in for Hayes imho.....

Reply #24
LOB straight back in for Hayes imho.....
Agree.

....and stay in!

Gov needs to come in and i'm not sure who makes way for him. It will probably be someone like Plowman, Newman, Stocker.
Newnes can come out for Pittonet

Reply #25
I got the impression from the Voss post match conference that he might think Pitto and Gov need another week, he didn't seem over enthused.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
I got the impression from the Voss post match conference that he might think Pitto and Gov need another week, he didn't seem over enthused.
They might need another week....not sure i agree....but you know what? If we want to play finals, we NEED them in the team too.

Reply #27
Agree.

....and stay in!

Gov needs to come in and i'm not sure who makes way for him. It will probably be someone like Plowman, Newman, Stocker.
Newnes can come out for Pittonet

I agree  and probably nominate Plowman for a holiday in the twos and McGovern in, Stocker wasnt great possession wise but kept Rohan quiet and not for the first time and I'd like him as an option for Greene who I reckon Newman will get first crack at as I seem to recall he played on him last game vs GWS.
Pittonet back in is a no brainer, Jack looks cooked through no fault of his own and TDK looked a bit sore after a knock vs Geelong.
Rusty or not I think we need McGovern back in as an option down back as both Young and Weitering will have off days and we need to be able to rotate our taller backs to suit/match the opposition tall forwards and we lacked that vs Geelong and his intercept marking is a bonus.
I'm a believer in the Owies, Durdin, Fisher setup and reckon Durdins form slump has coincided with Owies being out....
I like Motlop for the future and he has had a good start to his career but at the minute I reckon the other three work better together and if Owies is fit he comes in for Motlop and not for Durdin.
Hayes in for LOB was a total feckup and the wrong game to experiment imho......I'd have Cottrell tagging  on Whitfields wing and LOB on the other this week...

Reply #28
We do need them badly. Especially Pitto and think SOS would welcome that return. Opportunity to get the lads match fit over next two weeks without disrespecting the opposition too much. Martin and Marchy should be available next week too I think.

Reply #29
I'm a believer in the Owies, Durdin, Fisher setup and reckon Durdins form slump has coincided with Owies being out....
@ElwoodBlues1 Yep, I was thinking much the same, the whole unit is greater than the sum of it's parts.
The Force Awakens!