Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11518 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #120
HTF can a side go from utterly hopeless (17th) to top 4 in a year?  

Gees it would be nice to snag a freebie gun or two as a FA/academy pick like a lot of other clubs seem to have done recently.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #121
We got smashed on slingshot goals all year.  As soon as it gets out the back, we are shot to pieces. 

Voss needs to find some pace from somewhere.  We are so slow.......

Yep getting slaughtered on the outside. Players without a defensive bone in their body and finding defensive pressure acts as unnatural. See ya.

Reply #122
Every time we have had a shot at making finals late in a season the last few years we have choked up the last qtr. 2020, under Teague, we were a real red hot chance. 4 games from the end we led at 3/4 time against the Pies and fell apart in the last qtr, 5 days later, 15pts up at 3/4 time against GWS and s hit our pants. We won the next game. If we won those other 2 we would have been game and percentage inside the 8 with 2 games to go. Come 2022 and that s hit still hasn't been sorted.

If we actually learn from this it could a real good thing going forward. Will we or will we be the same old Carlton? We have a reputation now for choking. Sides will always think they are in the game now against us.

Reply #123
Taking time is a team thing, there was a 50m penalty where Pitto didnt take the full 50m, dished it off to Stocker running by I think who rushed a kick fwd that was intercepted. Take the full 50m, get yourself as deep as possible and then use the ball cleverly to spot up a fwd. Sometimes slow crafty play is better than run and gun. Composure.
To the letter of the law it should have been 2 x 50m penalties to Pittonet as Cox impeded his progress towards the new mark.

I know full well it’s wasted energy to fixate on such sliding doors moments but I tear my hair out sometimes at non-decisions that are so confidently called by some umpires (I’m still trying to figure out who blocked whom which gifted them a goal in the last), yet other decisions are not interpreted consistently.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #124
While we can all moan about free kicks that may or may have not been there, the simple fact of the matter is you should not lose games when you are 4 goals up at 3/4 time.  Coughing up big leads has been our achilles heel all year

This is about psychology, not acts on the football field.  It's like we sit back and admire the scoreboard, and then ease off the gas. Then, we get so frightened of failure that we suffer from 'deer in the headlights' syndrome and stop playing the brand of football that gets us in front in the first place.   Apart from the 4 points lost yesterday, think of all the % we left on the table by letting huge leads evaporate.  Port, Hawthorn, Dogs, Swans spring to mind.

We will never be there at the pointy end until we become ruthless and learn to stand on throats and not let them get back up. 

If we play 2 quarters in each game like the third yesterday, we will win most matches.  If we play three, we will be almost unbeatable.  The psychology is to start each quarter with the mindset that scores are level, and the quarter must be won.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #125
I dont know how to upload a photo, but to dot point how dumb our players are, I have been sent an image of Charlie curnow, ball in possession, half forward flank, with 2.11 on the clock. He has taken a mark, and he has a short kick on to Durdin who is free on the 50 metre line.  Instead of kicking it to Durdin who would have been in range to have a ping and get a super important point, he kicked long to a vacant pocket to the advantage of Collingwood players who were able to clear it easily and go end to end. 

This is the sort of stuff that as a fan drives you insane, because in range durdin could have taken a very important 30 seconds off the clock and made it a 1 kick game with 1.40 on the timer instead. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #126
Saw that live.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #127
Either the Collingwood players are just all smarter than ours or they are coached better.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #129
The move of Docherty into the midfield no doubt threw an extra burden on to Saad.
That's where injuries are an excuse.
Covering a hole in one area by moving a vital part weakens the other area.
Just a little (and I do mean a teeny weeny bit) more luck with injuries and the season would have gone different for us.
Kennedy Walsh Hewitt, 3 starting mids who impacted our first half of the season form dramatically and all sitting in the stands yesterday.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #130
12 months ago we didn't even look like we could find a coach. We were miles off finals. 12 months later, we miss finals by millimeters. 2 very cruel weeks in succession is hard to swallow. 

I'm with you. It's been one h#*l of a year.
Those multimeters translate effectively to one kick, one mark, and 15 seconds of composure. That's the difference between 8th and 9th this year. It's a blow we let the free-kick kings in for another go at it.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #131
Weitering didn't seem to 'recover' after his injury.
He did his job for the most part in later games but was a shadow of his early season form.
He seemed to be down on confidence and his attack on the ball wasn't the same.

Just like his recovery after his initial shoulder injury. Which occurred when he slid in for a goal saving touch. Albeit very different circumstances.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #132
I dont know how to upload a photo, but to dot point how dumb our players are, I have been sent an image of Charlie curnow, ball in possession, half forward flank, with 2.11 on the clock. He has taken a mark, and he has a short kick on to Durdin who is free on the 50 metre line.  Instead of kicking it to Durdin who would have been in range to have a ping and get a super important point, he kicked long to a vacant pocket to the advantage of Collingwood players who were able to clear it easily and go end to end. 

This is the sort of stuff that as a fan drives you insane, because in range durdin could have taken a very important 30 seconds off the clock and made it a 1 kick game with 1.40 on the timer instead.

As they said on "The First Crack" where were our extras behind the ball in that last 2 min. That set up was abominable. 2 more blokes then Ginnivan and Elliot don't get out the back, and Elliot doesn't score that goal. It's been an issue for years and nothing has been done. What are the leaders thinking?

Reply #133
First side since 1977 be in the top 8, top 5 back then, every week only to drop out last round. 1977 was us too. Only consolation back then is we won 3 of the next 5 flags after that.

Reply #134
So did I, I'm so angry I couldn't even articulate it yesterday.

It was my worst experience at the football ever. Surrounded by Collingwood fans in the AFL members. We were outnumbered 10-1.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!