Skip to main content
Topic: State Elections (Read 14153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: State Elections

Reply #105
Interesting the Commonwealth Games announcement.

I suspected at the time the costs / bidding was all a bit dubious. because coming out of COVID I was hearing from mates in construction and event business that costs were skyrocketing and the announced budget was basically the same as a pre-COVID 2018 games. Some materials have gone up twofold or threefold in cost, also not directly but because resources are being redirected the decision to cut forestry in Vic has made things even worse. All this feeds back.

I wonder how much of the estimated budget overrun is really increased material costs, versus contractors trying to recover their loss of income over COVID?

You'd have to be pretty nervous working on big projects at the moment, but on the bright side there might be a fresh material for a new episode of Utopia!

Those of you who do not follow this stuff won't be surprised to find the average blowout for a Comm games is about +50%, Brisbane was almost 100% and Birmingham was 43%. There are accusations of creative accounting for the Birmingham games with allegations some expenses were funnelled into special COVID budgets not included in the final report.

Smart move really.

There is a reason that the construction industry has businesses toppling over like dominos of late.

Costs of everything have gone through the roof in both labour and materials. The demand for trades is sky high and they can name their price in a lot of instances. Suggesting a blowout of 3-fold is possibly quite conservative.

Its a case of damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

At least this way we end up with more cash to spend on other things, rather than a lot less.

Reply #106
Its a case of damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
I know they made a point of including lots of extra sports, many of which doubled up as para.

I know this question will be offensive to some, but I have to ask it anyway, at what stage do we stop funding blowouts by cutting minority funding?

I've read some of the events more than double in cost when integrating para sports. Are we heading towards such a politically correct ideology that it's either everyone or no-one at all?

Interestingly, the official CGA(Commonwealth games Authority) has gone the other way, and cut the required sports down to just two, Athletics and Swimming are the only two mandatory sports.

And let's not get started on the building industry rules and regulations regarding disability access, regulations that get applied without discrimination across the board!

I have a vivid imagination, but pretty soon I imagine gender or ethnicity neutral(certified) paint colours only, it's going to happen, you just know it! ;)

btw., Some of you might be asking, what is a gender / ethnicity neutral paint colour? Well for other technical reasons it already exists, it's called Munsell / ANSI gray, rather than being made up of a blend of black and white, it's a gray made up of equal parts of all the primary colours so that it reflects all colours evenly and doesn't cast a shadow or glare in any specific hue or tint. It is used in industries that have to control and measure colour as a neutral background for quality control, often a lightbox used to inspect parts of images will be painted with Munsell gray. How long before all public buildings have to be painted in this at the cost of about $325/ltr? There is your episode of Utopia right there! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
As a outsider looking in, with no knowledge of the State's financial situation...it looks a bit embarrassing.
Countries cancelling such events are usually the poorer nations.

The regional nature of the games and the spread around the State always seemed a bit strange, rather than a central Melbourne location.

Reply #108
As a outsider looking in, with no knowledge of the State's financial situation...it looks a bit embarrassing.
Countries cancelling such events are usually the poorer nations.

The regional nature of the games and the spread around the State always seemed a bit strange, rather than a central Melbourne location.

Victoria came in as the 'saviour' in April last year after there were no other takers, and in response to a request from the Commonwealth Games Federation.  Pretty sure Andrews et al saw it as a great opportunity to announce justifiable pork barrelling of some regional areas prior to a State election last November. 

Given the limited interest, especially in terms of telecast rights around the globe, the numbers just don't stack up any more for this event, and anyway, how many international visitors will be attracted to Bendigo and Traralgon as a result?

Funny, though, how those that are now moaning about the reputational damage would no doubt have been the same critics if it had gone ahead and poured $6b+ down the gurgler.

Moral is, don't host any events unless they are worth hosting.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #109
Victoria came in as the 'saviour' in April last year after there were no other takers, and in response to a request from the Commonwealth Games Federation.

The CEO of the Comm Games Craig Phillips said in his presser today that the statement about Victoria coming in last minute as the saviour is BS.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #110
Victoria came in as the 'saviour' in April last year after there were no other takers, and in response to a request from the Commonwealth Games Federation.  Pretty sure Andrews et al saw it as a great opportunity to announce justifiable pork barrelling of some regional areas prior to a State election last November. 

Given the limited interest, especially in terms of telecast rights around the globe, the numbers just don't stack up any more for this event, and anyway, how many international visitors will be attracted to Bendigo and Traralgon as a result?

Funny, though, how those that are now moaning about the reputational damage would no doubt have been the same critics if it had gone ahead and poured $6b+ down the gurgler.

Moral is, don't host any events unless they are worth hosting.

As someone said on radio earlier, the only one looking like a goose today is Andrews. The budget was with wrong then or now, either way, he gave approval back then and its all happened on his watch. CEO Craig Phillips reckons figures being quoted by Andrews are wrong/BS. Gave him a fair old clip in his presser.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #111
When blokes working on projects are pulling 300+ K, let alone what the managerial types are charging, no wonder the state is Jeffed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #112
When blokes working on projects are pulling 300+ K, let alone what the managerial types are charging, no wonder the state is Jeffed.
The blokes pulling 300+K are members of the most militant unions in the country, the same unions the donate $$$$$$$$$ to comrade Dan's Red Shirt Brigade.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #113
As someone said on radio earlier, the only one looking like a goose today is Andrews.

Business as usual, then.

I note that Commander Jerome, of lock-down fame, was put in charge of the Comm Games; time he uncoupled his wagon from Dan.

Reply #114
It seems a lot of the facilities being built for the games will still proceed.
There may also be some positions appointed that will have to be sorted, and maybe some contractual obligations.
So it's not like all the money will be 'saved'.

It's hard to argue that there may be some greater needs for the state, but just how much 'pulling out' of the games will actually cost will be interesting.

Reply #115
It seems a lot of the facilities being built for the games will still proceed.
There may also be some positions appointed that will have to be sorted, and maybe some contractual obligations.
So it's not like all the money will be 'saved'.

It's hard to argue that there may be some greater needs for the state, but just how much 'pulling out' of the games will actually cost will be interesting.
Im sure the money would have been spent more wisely, they should have estimated properly back then. To quote the great  Kerry Packer "Which kent farked that up?"
As for how much pulling out will cost, it was stated on radio today the estimates are north of $1B.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #116
It wouldn't irritate me as much if the government had not only 4 weeks ago said that things looked like coming in on budget. That now looks like a bald faced lie.
Honestly, the government must have known months ago about cost blow-outs, yet they say nothing until now. Not reasonable.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #117
Im sure the money would have been spent more wisely, they should have estimated properly back then. To quote the great  Kerry Packer "Which kent farked that up?"
As for how much pulling out will cost, it was stated on radio today the estimates are north of $1B.

Is this essentially the same mob that cancelled the contracted connector/bypass road through Parkville ?
What did that cost…?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #118
Is this essentially the same mob that cancelled the contracted connector/bypass road through Parkville ?
What did that cost…?
East West Link? $1.1B to not build it, then announced the western distributor which costs have blown out to the shizenhousen.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th