Skip to main content
Topic: CSC Facebook Page (Read 5500 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from SPAM

Re: CSC Facebook Page

Reply #15
I think that Lods has summed up the situation very well, although I’m not sure whether the moderators’ views are particularly relevant.  BBB may have something to say though.

I guess it comes down to whether folk are comfortable with Facebook and giving up the anonymity that CSC affords.

Lods’ point about the FB page complementing CSC rather than becoming an alternative is worth bearing in mind.  Should membership of the FB page be limited to CSC forum members?

I suspect not, but it would be worth asking folk wanting to join the page if they are members.

Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

I’ve set the fb page so that anyone can find and read it, but only group members can post in it, that should reduce the numbers of undesirables.
Personally if we were to make the fb group totally private it would simply become a mirror of here and in my opinion we want to expand our membership/readership/contributors.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #16
Not to over stress the point, but @Baggers in his post on the fb group this morning has utilised a fb function and posted as a “Group Member” ie anonymously.
He then chose to give his first name and CSC Forum username.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #17
I’ve set the fb page so that anyone can find and read it, but only group members can post in it, that should reduce the numbers of undesirables.
Personally if we were to make the fb group totally private it would simply become a mirror of here and in my opinion we want to expand our membership/readership/contributors.
I'm not a big FB fan, used it a little bit but it's overflowing with norbits who want to do nothing more than throw rocks.

@northernblue When I visit FB I tend to read and not post, that being the case if there are others like myself can visitors to the CSC FB group see a link to this site without needing to sign up to the group first?

Personally, I see the privacy options of FB as often hijacked by bait and switch tactics, the few times I did sign up to the group I was immediately bombarded with spam and spyware, so I rarely do so anymore.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
NB
I've just done a Facebook search.

The page doesn't show up yet on a search for 'Carlton' or 'Carlton Football'.
It does show up as number 4 when you search for 'Carlton Supporters'.

The folks we're looking to attract would probably start with one of the first two.
I'm wondering... are there any tags we could access to raise that profile.

Reply #19
I'm not a big FB fan, used it a little bit but it's overflowing with norbits who want to do nothing more than throw rocks.

@northernblue When I visit FB I tend to read and not post, that being the case if there are others like myself can visitors to the CSC FB group see a link to this site without needing to sign up to the group first?

Personally, I see the privacy options of FB as often hijacked by bait and switch tactics, the few times I did sign up to the group I was immediately bombarded with spam and spyware, so I rarely do so anymore.

At present I believe you can see a link to CSC Forum, could I ask you to visit fb, search Carlton Supporters Club and report what you can see ? (as someone who is not logged into fb)
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #20
Yes again Lods.
Personally I don’t twit or insta.
Thanks for splitting this off into its own thread too 👍🏼

I'm not sure who split the thread....but it was a good move.
I'm no longer a mod on here.
I've lost my powers. :'(

Reply #21
NB
I've just done a Facebook search.

The page doesn't show up yet on a search for 'Carlton' or 'Carlton Football'.
It does show up as number 4 when you search for 'Carlton Supporters'.

The folks we're looking to attract would probably start with one of the first two.
I'm wondering... are there any tags we could access to raise that profile.

I'm guessing there are some tags we can throw in but I cant say I know a whole lot about it... same as the linking of CSC Forum threads to the fb group, I know it can be done but not how. :D

The whole purpose of what I've done was to have a small thing to initially demonstrate something that is new and somewhat fear or dislike inducing to some.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #22
I'm not sure who split the thread....but it was a good move.
I'm no longer a mod on here.
I've lost my powers. :'(

Never Lods, you think things and some of us tremble
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #23
At present I believe you can see a link to CSC Forum, could I ask you to visit fb, search Carlton Supporters Club and report what you can see ? (as someone who is not logged into fb)

The link probably needs to be more prominent
At the moment it is in the "About" section...but you need to press the "see more" for it to become visible.

Reply #24
The link probably needs to be more prominent
At the moment it is in the "About" section...but you need to press the "see more" for it to become visible.

Ive pinned the CSC Forum link in a new post with some tags
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #25
I've just had a look at the TC facebook page.
It's been basically inactive for 12 months whereas their twitter page is much more current.
It may have been a deliberate move to the other platform. Interesting though that at one time it had 1.4k likes and followers...surely they gained some new members from that figure.

It's worth a trial, given the unstable nature of our site at present, and at least we can keep folks informed if the site goes down.

It's also probably worth stressing again that we face two issues- growing the forum, and the long term viability and maintenance....and we shouldn't lose sight of the second.

Reply #26
I've just had a look at the TC facebook page.
It's been basically inactive for 12 months whereas their twitter page is much more current.
It may have been a deliberate move to the other platform. Interesting though that at one time it had 1.4k likes and followers...surely they gained some new members from that figure.

It's worth a trial, given the unstable nature of our site at present, and at least we can keep folks informed if the site goes down.

It's also probably worth stressing again that we face two issues growing the forum, and the long term viability and maintenance....and we shouldn't lose sight of the second.

That would likely point to a lone member moderating the fb page and stopping for whatever reason and also the potential decline of fb as a platform.
Personally I'm really only on fb because of my wifes family, my older family dont use fb anymore for a variety of reasons.
That said fb and similar sites can still help us to regenerate our membership base.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #27
NB
Are you able to edit the page so the CSC link is prominent in the top corner like the TC one

https://www.facebook.com/TalkingCarlton/

Reply #28
NB
Are you able to edit the page so the CSC link is prominent in the top corner like the TC one

https://www.facebook.com/TalkingCarlton/

At present that’s beyond my skill/paygrade Lods 😎
After logging out of fb and doing a google search, the fb page shows us as about 4th listing behind our forum, so if someone looks for us, they will find us.
EDIT: No it doesn't, MY Firefox browser lists the fb CSC, as LP points out below, thats likely an indexing thing which will correct over time.
Visiting the fb page without logging in to fb shows our CSC logo and the “about this group” yarda, yarda, it lists the forum address and states the fb privacy settings, membership total, activity and group rules.

I suspect that TC may be using some sort of “theme” page design, we can probably emulate it if we want. Or we could probably replace the name of the group from “Carlton Supporters Club” to “www.carltonsc.com”
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #29
Following the link opens the page, but it's not appearing in FB or Google searches.

Without being logged into FB I tried an advanced Google search, but it doesn't show up yet so it is probably not yet indexed by Google. site:facebook.com Carlton Supporters Group

Of course there is a bunch of other FB Groups using the same basic name, not sure that helps.
The Force Awakens!