Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 3503 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
He has form, should be looked at.
He got Weiters, and he whacked someone else again.

He is the most 'accident' prone player going around because he keeps 'accidentally' whacking people across the head.

Superstar discount.

Reply #16
SOS imo

Bold comment, Pinot. I suspect you are right but putting a critical eye on JSOS is tantamount to sacrilege and slaying Bambi. When I look at JSOS, I pretend his name is not Silvagni... helps objectivity. With the heart, I want him to be a 200 game player and hold a cup high, and love his endeavour and smarts. However, with the head...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
I still reckon the Giants will be up and down because half of their centre bounce quartet are gone. Hopper and Taranto were mainstays. It’s a bit like us losing Walsh and Hewitt. As we’ve shown, you can still win after losing a couple of main mids but as we showed late last year it can cruel you too.

Yes, they’ve had a preseason to get used to replacing them. And no doubt Giants fans would say that their defections allows the Giants to give more on-ball time to future stars such as Tom Green. And Coniglio seems to have returned to form. But they didn’t trade for mature replacements and we know draftees are usually inconsistent.

They also have to sweat on whether Whitfield and Kelley will return from concussions in Rd 1.

No doubt they’ll still have a few decent mids but their depth will be tested,

Reply #18
Bold comment, Pinot. I suspect you are right but putting a critical eye on JSOS is tantamount to sacrilege and slaying Bambi. When I look at JSOS, I pretend his name is not Silvagni... helps objectivity. With the heart, I want him to be a 200 game player and hold a cup high, and love his endeavour and smarts. However, with the head...

Love Jack but we do look better with two rucks while one is resting forward with 3-4 small forwards. With a full healthy list though some are going to be squeezed- how long will that last? It's a tough one but two rucks with one resting forward would be my go.

Reply #19
Fisher sub (continues the 'bring on speed' strategy) bring in Hewitt and send LOB back to the twos for a match or two. Jack survives as our 3rd tall / connector. Martin? No way.

Reply #20
Fisher sub (continues the 'bring on speed' strategy) bring in Hewitt and send LOB back to the twos for a match or two. Jack survives as our 3rd tall / connector. Martin? No way.
Forget Martin, shouldn't even be int he conversation as far as I'm concerned. What about when Walsh is ready? What if Walsh is ready rnd 3?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
Forget Martin, shouldn't even be int he conversation as far as I'm concerned. What about when Walsh is ready? What if Walsh is ready rnd 3?

Ed Curnow moves on. He will always be a 'break glass in emergency' if something happens to Hewett, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy or Cripps. I'm sure he knows the pecking order. He's proved that he can come in a fulfill a role. Towards the end of the year if we have the luxury of managing any of the big 5, we know Ed is ready to go.

Reply #22
Walsh is probably still a couple of weeks away but they might spring a surprise.

I heard Walsh say there was probably three or four people who knew when he would return....and he wasn't one of them. :D

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/23/hes-beating-down-the-door-blues-offer-update-on-walshs-return-from-surgery/

Reply #23
Ed Curnow moves on. He will always be a 'break glass in emergency' if something happens to Hewett, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy or Cripps. I'm sure he knows the pecking order. He's proved that he can come in a fulfill a role. Towards the end of the year if we have the luxury of managing any of the big 5, we know Ed is ready to go.
So we move Ed out, who does the job he did on Prestia and Guthrie? I'll give you the answer, no one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
So we move Ed out, who does the job he did on Prestia and Guthrie? I'll give you the answer, no one.
I think Hewett will be that player but Ed has been outstanding so far and won't be going anywhere .

Reply #25
I think Hewett will be that player but Ed has been outstanding so far and won't be going anywhere .

Yep.  I think Ed was specifically  playing the Hewett role and he did it so well that he must be retained in some capacity even when George returns.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
It's a bugger of a problem, isn't it. ;)  ;D
If we have a bit of luck with injuries there are going to be some very good players playing VFL.

Reply #27
Ed has probably been the best hard running two way tagger the club has seen and its not even close.
Probably dont need to play a back 7 when a prime mover is shut out.

Reply #28
The smart way around this, to get the most out of players, and to also help extend player careers, is a horses for courses rotation policy.

Let blokes come in a play a game or two like it's finals, then given them an extra week or two to recover before another push.

The AFL should do something officially to encourage this, by changing the GF medals to reward everyone who has played a senior game and contributed to a winning season.

The Handbaggers were very clever about this a few years back with their own B&F, they changed things so that the count discarded the bottom 3 or 4 games, it allowed players to have a rest and not be penalised.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
It seems to me that our coaches and playing group have really focused on not losing.  While tempo footy for the last five minutes of each quarter is preferable to leaking late goals as we did in the Bolton days, I wonder if we are being too defensive.

I'd like to see just a little more emphasis on scoring when we have momentum, even if it's late in a quarter.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball