Skip to main content
Topic: Reality TV (Read 1778 times) previous topic - next topic

Reality TV

It was interesting to hear about how the secrets of Reality TV get exposed, mostly throw it's own hubris and overwhelming desire to profit from short term fame at every possible level.

It seems that one of the recently finished reality TV shows had exposed the winners name many many weeks ago, long before broadcast had even started. This occurred due to bookings appearing across the country for a speaking/publicity tour. You have no choice now but to use genuine ID, things like drivers license or passport are required for air travel and even for some accommodation. Data mining allows the Internet of Trolls to assemble(dox) potential candidates and the resulting vectors neatly identify the pre-determined results, secrets are secrets no more!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Reality TV

Reply #1
It was interesting to hear about how the secrets of Reality TV get exposed, mostly throw it's own hubris and overwhelming desire to profit from short term fame at every possible level.

It seems that one of the recently finished reality TV shows had exposed the winners name many many weeks ago, long before broadcast had even started. This occurred due to bookings appearing across the country for a speaking/publicity tour. You have no choice now but to use genuine ID, things like drivers license or passport are required for air travel and even for some accommodation. Data mining allows the Internet of Trolls to assemble(dox) potential candidates and the resulting vectors neatly identify the pre-determined results, secrets are secrets no more!

I watch Married at First Sight for the excellent relationship advice. :D

Reply #2
Yes, I can see your point, but I particularly like the tips gleaned from the show on public etiquette and mindfulness!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
If MAFS is reality then we as a human race are forked. It is anything but reality and scripted to the hilt IMO. The "experts" (term used loosely) pick the most opposed people (lets call them the fire) they can find to get together and then just pour petrol on it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
It is difficult to keep things from being divulged long before a reality series ends, especially in those relationship shows.
Too much social media around.
Photos of participants with other people etc.
Not to mention that they're probably heavily edited to produce drama, goodies and baddies.

I struggle to see the interest in some of them myself, but some of my friends and relatives can't get enough of them.
I missed the days of the 8.30 movies...but with streaming services that's a bit redundant now.
Folks seem to want the short sharp reality burst in prime-time, free to air.
Movies and Sport are on tap. with the Netflixes and Foxtels (Kayo)

Reply #5
A young man, let's call him Bruce, that I used to coach in junior basketball told me that he couldn't play his final season for the club because he was in a TV show.  I think it was called the Resort and it involved a bunch of young folk trying to renovate an abandoned resort on a tropical island.  The show flopped and was cancelled halfway through filming.  Bruce came back to play out the rest of the season.  He brought with him an exotic dancer who was another contestant in the show.  She was very attractive and about 5 years older than Bruce.  He thought that the show was contrived rubbish ... but he enjoyed the experience, both during and after!

The other young men in the team seemed to play a little better when Bruce's dancer was supporting the team  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
A young man, let's call him Bruce, that I used to coach in junior basketball told me that he couldn't play his final season for the club because he was in a TV show.  I think it was called the Resort and it involved a bunch of young folk trying to renovate an abandoned resort on a tropical island.  The show flopped and was cancelled halfway through filming.  Bruce came back to play out the rest of the season.  He brought with him an exotic dancer who was another contestant in the show.  She was very attractive and about 5 years older than Bruce.  He thought that the show was contrived rubbish ... but he enjoyed the experience, both during and after!

The other young men in the team seemed to play a little better when Bruce's dancer was supporting the team  :)
Every cloud has a silver lining I guess
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
If MAFS is reality then we as a human race are forked. It is anything but reality and scripted to the hilt IMO. The "experts" (term used loosely) pick the most opposed people (lets call them the fire) they can find to get together and then just pour petrol on it.
I was told a few things about the show via a TV contact ....The experts dont pick anything or anyone...the Producers do, the couples are matched to produce more drama than marriages and as you say is heavily scripted. Every series has a villain and he or she has to see the series out so his/her partner is told they have to keep writing stay to achieve that goal regardless if they want to leave the show or not.
The experts are miked up and told what to ask, hence one of the female experts who began with the show left because she wouldnt be used in a contrived role. Contestants get about $150 a day to go on the show and have to rely on their social media accounts gaining numbers due to exposure on the show to make money for them as they tend to pick a lot of influencers as contestants who want to get moresponsorships/marketing deals from companies.
A couple of the recent contestants are also professional reality stars who have appeared in other countries versions of similar reality type shows. The Professional model who appeared on MAFS this season is a seasoned performer who dates rocks stars etc and got a few noses out of joint with the other women given her glamourous appeal has led to her taking most of the good post show marketing/company gigs and she is set to become very successful after the show.

Reply #8
I was told a few things about the show via a TV contact ....The experts dont pick anything or anyone...the Producers do, the couples are matched to produce more drama than marriages and as you say is heavily scripted. Every series has a villain and he or she has to see the series out so his/her partner is told they have to keep writing stay to achieve that goal regardless if they want to leave the show or not.
Sounds like The Block!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
The experts are miked up and told what to ask, hence one of the female experts who began with the show left because she wouldnt be used in a contrived role. Contestants get about $150 a day to go on the show and have to rely on their social media accounts gaining numbers due to exposure on the show to make money for them as they tend to pick a lot of influencers as contestants who want to get moresponsorships/marketing deals from companies.
A couple of the recent contestants are also professional reality stars who have appeared in other countries versions of similar reality type shows. The Professional model who appeared on MAFS this season is a seasoned performer who dates rocks stars etc and got a few noses out of joint with the other women given her glamourous appeal has led to her taking most of the good post show marketing/company gigs and she is set to become very successful after the show.
The model you are referring was on UK Big Brother and was associated with some other scumbag that was in the news recently. The are all professional DHs
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #12
Sigh.  Had a rough spot in our marriage a few years back.  Went to a marriage counsellor for a bit, and found it a good test of whether or not she was any good when she referenced something happening on MAFS. 

Needless to say, i disregarded her as being any good from that moment onwards.

Imagine being serious about being a relationship advisor and using a social experiment as an example of anything worthwhile.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
The model you are referring was on UK Big Brother and was associated with some other scumbag that was in the news recently. The are all professional DHs
Yep he was a crim of some sort, she was also hanging out with Justin Bieber for a while too but the point is she is not a genuine marriage prospect/contestant and was on for her ability to create a storyline and up her social media profile which I believe is large and even more prosperous now. One of the males on the show has also featured on English reality TV and was also a non genuine choice but there for the storyline value only.

Reply #14
I confess to having never watched any 'reality' TV show, I have too much respect for the mental health of my computer monitor and/or TV screen.  :D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17