Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton (Read 6852 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton

Reply #15
It’s hard to tackle when you’re the one with the ball.  Crippa and Doc can just keep doing what they’re doing.

Err they need to defend better

Reply #16
Another positive
- Carlton headline doesn't read:
Brave
Plucky
Spirited 😏
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Post match they said the dissent call was right and what wasn’t shown on tv was Coniglio was clearly on the wrong.

I felt like a lot of our marks werent called marks which was confusing.

The ground looked like crap.

Crippa chucked us on his back again to get us out of that hole.

So many missing players.

Ffs play LOB for a good spell and then decide his future. He’s not the only one that makes really dumb decisions.

Reply #18
Must say one of the most unenjoyable games to watch.

Reply #19
Well done Blacres and Hewey for playing through pain and doing well.

As others have said, winning ugly is important - beats the shyte out of loosing bravely, etc.

Terrific leadership from Crippa and Doc.

Welcome back JSOS.

Nick Newman, take a bow.

Hollands, again, did some brilliant defensive work late in the game. The sort of kid who will do something great in a GF (to save the game).

The dissent was from Coniglio, apparently an expletive or two that didn't make the air-waves. The umpire explained to Whitfield that it wasn't against him, it was against Coniglio (the dissent).

10 more shots should have equated to a 5+ goal win. We kept them in it with poor finishing.

The playing surface was shyte... the Midgets seemed to know that but we did a lot of slipping over.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
I hope the club change that headline on our website, 'Blues Steal Victory Over Giants.' Bullshyte.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
I said it was a 'danger game'and at one stage in the last it looked like the Giants were going to put us to the sword once they hit the front.

Thank christ we dug deep and found a way to get over the line in what was a totally boring and ugly game.   

A handful of our players were shown up in this match for the charlatans & frauds they really are.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #22
Rubbish game with little defense played at times and both teams over possessed and turned the ball over too much. We won all the big stats but never really got into a groove where we had control of the game and kept GWS in it.
I felt they dragged us down to their horrible level and we started to over use the ball in close and couldnt play with any method which didnt help Harry and Charlie down forward.
Both teams had big stat winners and Cripps had 42 but it wasnt one of his best games and I had players like Newman and Acres in our best players ahead of bigger stat winners.
TDK and Pittonet had no real impact but did win the rucks easily and I think that combo is working ok and if you add Jacks form down forward then there a few positives to be had from such a poor quality game.
Owies started well until injured and I think Motlop showed some real improvement along with Durdin who continues to provide a bit of spark around the goals and with his tackle pressure.
Newman was my BOG with his work on Greene and is probably a bit undervalued in the scheme of things given he did the job on Dusty in the first round and he would be one of my first picked each week.
You could make a case for Cincotta getting a run ahead of Cowan but Id be sticking with the Moo man for the moment, he looked a bit shaky today but improved as the game went on and I think he will learn quicker and faster in the seniors.
I think LOB was sub par today and needs a spell and Id give Cincotta or even Fogarty as a go as sub vs Nth.

Reply #23
So very disappointing. Just hoping that one day we turn the corner and just win games against opposition that are crape. Make no mistake GWS are carp and we only managed to stumble across the line because Cripps had a blinder, the backline was solid and an umpire plucked something out of his hole that will be talked about more than the game and how bad we were. Yes I'm happy we got the points but when do we turn the corner. Maybe next week.

With any sort of decent kicking at goal that would have been a comfortable 5 goal win. Instead they went the sphincter clenching route again.

Nice to be disappointed after a win. Times are changing!

Reply #24
Err they need to defend better

Again, it’s hard to defend when you’re the one with the ball and defending involves a lot more than tackling. 

Cripps had 20 contested possessions.  That’s 20 times he beat opponents for the pill.  And how many times did he force stoppages or apply pressure that created turnovers or a 50/50 contest? That’s defence, and far more important than the odd tackle.

Last week Cripps had 27 disposals and 6 tackles.  I’d take this week’s 42 disposals and 1 tackle over last week’s effort every time.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
The ground looked like crap.

They showed the ground before the match.
It was cut up something terrible by the end of the early game.

Reply #26
Voss on Newman...

“I thought Nic Newman’s game was an incredible game. To be able to play against Toby, who we rate really highly as a very good player, and to minimise his influence on the game the way that he did — it was an exceptional effort for him . . . he was awesome."

There are a lots of different aspects that determine the result of a game but the significance of this match-up can't be underestimated.

Reply #27
Voss on Newman...

There are a lots of different aspects that determine the result of a game but the significance of this match-up can't be underestimated.

I agree. Holding topliner Toby like that in a close home game, is glorious 👏🏼
I'm among those worried about our ability to lock down the best smaller forwards. I have not given Newy credit for this. Today he impressed me.
Well done Newy.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #28
There’s no way the free kick for dissent should be the big issue. The real controversy was why Harry wasn’t paid a free kick for being held immediately beforehand.
That free was carp and we all know it, but we deserve some luck given how many times we have been on the other end in the past.It was more than a free because it was a momentum changer at a critical time. These things usually even out so I'd expect us to cop a shocker free against us in the next few weeks.

Reply #29
That free was carp and we all know it, but we deserve some luck given how many times we have been on the other end in the past.
I have to wonder what words accompanied the gesture.

As you know I'm all for a clamping down on umpiring dissent, I want AFL to be like NRL and Union, the umpires get addressed as Mr, Ms or Sir, and there is zero backchat except for polite queries from the captains.

I was goal umpiring the day an umpire was bashed by a spectator at a Unders game, it is just not good enough to let this anarchy continue. We'll have no umpires and no sport. We need to get to the point we have so many umpires they can be selected on form!

As for the game, we finish the weekend Top 4, and we are doing it in average form, that's good enough for me!
The Force Awakens!