Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton (Read 7041 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Post Game Prognostications Giants vs Carlton

Reply #195
I think the way it was umpired was fine, I think the way most players are dealing with it is fine, there will always be the odd infringement.

Personally, if I was coach I'd be asking Coniglio why he spent moments wasting time when he could have been 5m or 10m down the ground setting up for the kick out! This in my opinion is why he remains a so so footballer.
His coach defended him in a presser saying that he is the most respectful player in the league and the infringement was wrong. So much for coaches not commenting on umpiring decisions.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #196
His coach defended him in a presser saying that he is the most respectful player in the league and the infringement was wrong. So much for coaches not commenting on umpiring decisions.
What a coach might say publicly is not necessarily what gets said privately, but I'll check on that with Ross the Boss!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #197
Kingsley has said its complete rubbish that Coniglio was complaining all match.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #198
Did Coniglio’s mum think he did the wrong thing?

Reply #199
Interesting.

Is it simply a matter of the finer points of things?

In COGS case, it sounds innocent enough, but he asked specifically "how is that not a free kick?" which is nothing untoward, but asking that in open play might have been a bridge too far for the umpire.

Perhaps he got his answer, and Harry was deemed to have not had full possession of the footy?

Anyway, it might be time to split this topic into its own to discuss dissent.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #200
The Giants are also not happy with some of the blocking and holding on Toby Green so hopefully we don't get penalised too much on Friday.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #201
Imagine if Durdin HAD kicked the goal, all clear, dissent, the kick in the square...and two goals waved instead of 1 goal / 1 point. Just lucky it was against the Giants who have minimal fans and relatively no presence on social media! Would have been much more fun if it was Essendon!!!

Reply #202
The Giants are also not happy with some of the blocking and holding on Toby Green so hopefully we don't get penalised too much on Friday.

I imagine that we're not too happy with the treatment that Harry, Charlie and Crippa received ... but we're unlikely to whinge about it.

What do the Giants think about the blocks Greene put on our defenders?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #203
Imagine if Durdin HAD kicked the goal, all clear, dissent, the kick in the square...and two goals waved instead of 1 goal / 1 point. Just lucky it was against the Giants who have minimal fans and relatively no presence on social media! Would have been much more fun if it was Essendon!!!

Imagine we got penalised against the Bombers and it was Sam Docherty who asked the question which cost us the game. Then the AFL and Essendon supporters were smearing him calling him a serial whinger.
Imagine this place, Imagine our club's response, Imagine the next time we played them.

The AFL are just lucky the Giants have no fans.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #204
Imagine we got penalised against the Bombers and it was Sam Docherty who asked the question which cost us the game. Then the AFL and Essendon supporters were smearing him calling him a serial whinger.
Imagine this place, Imagine our club's response, Imagine the next time we played them.

The problem with that scenario is that Docherty isn't a serial dissenter and Vossy would have his guts for garters if he gave away a goal like that.

The reason Coniglio's venomous dissent is still newsworthy is that most commentators and at least 75% of football supporters hate it when we win.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #205

My wife's cousin is a passionate GWS supporter. Attends every game at home and often travels. They have a small core of strong supporters.
She sent us a message straight after the game.
"Congratulations to the Blues on the win"
No mention at all of the dissent free kick.

Reply #206
The problem with that scenario is that Docherty isn't a serial dissenter and Vossy would have his guts for garters if he gave away a goal like that.

The reason Coniglio's venomous dissent is still newsworthy is that most commentators and at least 75% of football supporters hate it when we win.

Yep
As if we're going to hear anything other than ...'GWS wuz robbed" from opposition supporters.

It's hard to know how we would have felt had the shoe was on the other foot.
Right now, a couple of days later, I'm thinking some of us would probably have been angry with the player, but that's not in the emotion of the moment.
At the time it may very well have been anger at the umpire.

What I do know is that if a Carlton player is pinged for dissent in the next game he won't get much sympathy.
They're all on notice.

Reply #207
Yep
As if we're going to hear anything other than'GWS wuz robbed" from opposition supporters.

Right now, a couple of days later, I'm thinking some of us would probably have been angry with the player, but that's not in the emotion of the moment.

What I do know is that if a Carlton player is pinged for dissent in the next game he won't get much sympathy.
They're all on notice.

I suspect that dissent will have been a topic discussed at 18 team meetings this week.

Reply #208
………………………

Venomous dissent ? No way.

Reply #209
Yep
As if we're going to hear anything other than ...'GWS wuz robbed" from opposition supporters.

They're all on notice.
They were robbed....thats the general perception of everyone bar Carlton supporters and a lot of them think we got lucky.