Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 4027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #15
I like them working in tandem, but if one has to choose, it's TDK all the way. I like Pittonet, but he doesn't offer much outside of ruck contests IMO - rather one dimensional. De Koning has a better leap, better mark, more athleticism, and still young. He could be the next Matthew Kreuzer, i.e a ruck who can double as a barge ar$e mid.

Reply #16
Yes, and Ben will cost you about 1/3 of what TDK will. ;)
But he's not a ruck, and unlikely he ever will be.

I think it's fanciful of fans to think they can get Darcy and change, and that we'd be able to get Ben McKay on top of Darcy, it reads like a prayer.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
I like them working in tandem, but if one has to choose, it's TDK all the way. I like Pittonet, but he doesn't offer much outside of ruck contests IMO - rather one dimensional. De Koning has a better leap, better mark, more athleticism, and still young. He could be the next Matthew Kreuzer, i.e a ruck who can double as a barge ar$e mid.
This year

2023 Marks -
Pitto - 4
TDK - 4

2023 Contested Marks
Pitto - 2
TDK - 2

2023 Games played
Pitto - 2
TDK - 3

TDK is a lot more likely to take mark of the year....but he actually drops a lot of marks. Pittos hands are more reliable.
Same stats, but TDK has had an extra game.

Reply #18
But he's not a ruck, and unlikely he ever will be.

I think it's fanciful of fans to think they can get Darcy and change, and that we'd be able to get Ben McKay on top of Darcy, it reads like a prayer.
No, but probably more valuable!

Reply #19
Pittonet is a better kick around the ground and for goal. Pittonet also does the simple things better eg simple overhead marks around the ground, Tommy seems to feel the need to turn it into a hanger every time. Having said that, I like them in tandem, I think we are far more dangerous with them both.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Can't buy a ticket! Monday 9am...
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #21
Will be interested to see if we appeal the Acres suspension.

Kennedy will be a definite if fit to replace to Owies.

LOB has to go back to the 2's so there should be one opening there, interesting how they go considering non of the prospective options did much in the reserves.

Reply #22
Assuming Ben McKay is still out, Logue also copped a week suspension....leaving them down their two best key defenders.....if ever Harry had a chance to get back into form, it's this week.

Hopefully one or both of Kennedy and Walsh are right to go. I'd like to see Kemp or Carroll as sub options this week and maybe even Cincotta into the 22 and play Docherty permanent midfield if Kennedy and Walsh are both still out.

North will likely get Uniake-Davies back and Simpkin from suspension.

Reply #23
Not so sure about LDU. If he does return, that pretty much means the medical people jumped at shadows when they pulled him out of the team, costing them a win.

Calf injuries are pretty insidious and it certainly isn’t the done thing to push thru them. The only way to set aside concerns is to train fully but if there are any concerns then full training should be verboten.

Of course, if he does train fully, then he will be selected.

Reply #24
Calf issues can be a bit funny.  He may be able to play but not cleared to run at full tilt, but still give them better than what is currently in there or play restricted.

You never really know with players whether or not they are fully fit, and their form will suffer accordingly.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
This year's averages:

Marks:  Pitto 2, Tom 2
Disposals: Pitto 11, Tom 12
Tackles: Pitto 1, Tom 3
Hitouts: Pitto 19, Tom 22.7
Clearances: Pitto 2.5, Tom 3.7
Rebound 50s: Pitto 0, Tom 1.7
1%ers: Pitto 1, Tom 3.3
Score involvements: Pitto 2, Tom 4.7
Metres gained: Pitto 68.5, Tom 165
Intercepts: Pitto 2, Tom 2.3

Most of the other stats are pretty close.  Of course, we've only played three games and Tom has an extra game under his belt.  However, it's clear that Pitto and Tom have a range of attributes, some in common and some unique, and that's what makes them a challenge for opposition rucks.  I hope that they can both stay on the park and ruck in tandem for the rest of the season and beyond.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
I hope that they can both stay on the park and ruck in tandem for the rest of the season and beyond.
Agreed, for me it's obvious.

I think some of the negativity is more about fans creating a role for a player like SoJ, but for me it was obvious last weekend they were all better.

TDK and Pitto better in the ruck complimenting each other, and SoJ better for not having to ruck at all!

That's not to say there won't be weeks when a horses for courses scenario pops up and the MC tweaks the mix, but I actually expect that from the MC, I don't want us to be formulaic. We are much harder to plan against when we make use of our available options.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
To say this is a must win game is a massive understatement.
I watched the GWS and can I just say I must commend Blacres. Cripps aside, I haven't seen a Carlton player battle through adversity and still have an impact in donkeys years.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
To say this is a must win game is a massive understatement.
I watched the GWS and can I just say I must commend Blacres. Cripps aside, I haven't seen a Carlton player battle through adversity and still have an impact in donkeys years.
Yes, it's one of the reasons I gave the Team a B, they showed something I haven't seen in decades, stuff that only came from players like Judd or Cripps!

And we have Walsh to return, how good is this?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Ben Cunnington suggested on AFL
North to challenge Logue suspension
LDU likely to play

Separately
CFC are also challenging Acres suspension
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.