Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 4059 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
Based on output from the VFL last week, you'd think Cuningham is in line for a callup sometime soon. Why not make him the sub this week? I don't think the MC will be so bold, and will err on the side of caution with him, but i'd give him a go.

Reply #46
Except when they play the favourites for the wooden spoon 🙂

I don’t think that there are any certain wins now but we’d have to be completely discombobulated to lose this one.
DJ...I had to give you a like for using the word " discombobulated".........you dont see it used that often but it often discombobulates those who read it....👍

Reply #47
Or is Norf the perfect game for Walshy's return? If he is fit and ready, play him.
Out Acres susp Owies inj
In Kennedy LOB (Throw a blanket over  Kemp, Fog, Carroll, Honey as the sub)
Couldnt pick LOB based on his game vs GWS......Id expect Nth under Clarko to mongrel a few of our players so Id be keeping Walsh shiny and new for the Crows.

Reply #48
Like last week, I don't think this will be a walk in the park. Plenty talk about North's limited defensive stocks. We've got to get the ball out and to the advantage of our fwds.. and through the big sticks. That's our achilles heel atm. V GWS we won the ruck, in the air, and clearances. Yet 61 i50 only nets 9 goals. If we repeat that, we'll be challenged.

We'll seriously miss Blacres and don't have a walk up replacement. Hopefully, someone will take their opportunity and shine (tip - consult with Newy).

An area we are showing improvement in, which gives me some confidence, is the ability to control the game when needed.

Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
North will make a game of it for about a half, then we'll pull away. Marvel suits us far more than a cow paddock that ended up being a good leveller.  The great Brent Crosswell used to say he couldn't give a stuff about playing at Western Oval on a winter's day with two men and a dog in the crowd. However, give him ideal conditions in front of a packed house and he would turn it on.  Our guys wouldn't have that attitude, however physiologically, playing under controlled conditions in front of 'the faithful' must have a positive effect!

Reply #50
We’ve lost Acres and Owies and I agree that O’Brien shouldn’t be the sub.

We have Walsh, Kennedy and Martin available if they get through training.

I agree with Kruddler that Cuningham would be a good choice for the sub.  His best could change a game … and there should be less time for mishaps.  The only problem would be an early injury sub.

I would move Cerra to the wing, leave Docherty in the backline, bring in Kennedy for Acres and Walsh for Owies.

Cuners would probably benefit more from a full game in the magoos so I’d have Cincotta as the sub.

If Walsh isn’t ready, I’d bring Cincotta into the 22 and have Kemp as the sub.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
No to LOB from me....limited game time each week but IMO hasn't shown anything to warrant being in the starting 22. Dow probably deserves a shot this week. Fisher needs to lift this week....could he play on one wing...still leaves us Durdin and Motlop as the small forwards.

Reply #52
DJC...I suggested similar on the weekend.....Docherty into the middle and Cincotta as the 7th defender. Kemp seems like an ideal "substitute" in terms of being able to play multiple roles if required.

Reply #53
Owies, Acres, Lob out
Kennedy, Walsh, Martin in

Martin as sub.

Hopefully he doesn't get injured sitting on the bench.

Reply #54
Owies, Acres, Lob out
Kennedy, Walsh, Martin in

Martin as sub.

Hopefully he doesn't get injured sitting on the bench.
I think Kemp might be the better sub though. I haven't seen the game but many on BF are talking up Binns also as a possible in.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
Based on output from the VFL last week, you'd think Cuningham is in line for a callup sometime soon. Why not make him the sub this week? I don't think the MC will be so bold, and will err on the side of caution with him, but i'd give him a go.
While I like him as a footballer I didn't rate Cunningham's last VFL game at all, for an AFL capable footballer he looked to be doing the bare minimum when he could have dominated, it's not inspiring, reminds me a bit of Lang.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Martin was poor in his only game and coming back from Injury should be playing twos, I'd give Fogarty a run and think about Cincotta or Binns as the sub...

Reply #57
Martin was poor in his only game and coming back from Injury should be playing twos, I'd give Fogarty a run and think about Cincotta or Binns as the sub...
While I remain sceptical, I think Fogarty was surprisingly good in the VFL last weekend.

Cincotta looked a bit off compared to last season, might be still getting use to the AFL workload.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
On the North site, a strength and conditioning guy discussed the very deep corky LDU suffered. He said he was selected last week after he hit the marker of 80% speed during training that they had set. They figured he’d approach 100% given he had another 48 hours before the game but when they treated him he was still at 80%. However, he has trained fully this week and hit his markers, so he will be selected unless he had problems in the 24 hours before the selection meeting.

Reply #59
Martin is a decent sub.  Can change a game but needs to prove he is durable I would have thought.

I havent seen any of the VFL, but Cunningham should put together 4 weeks on the understanding that we cant risk him breaking down if it costs us a game, and we need to check on his durability first rather than have him do a Marchbank.

Binns is a swing the magnets around selection and IMHO comes in for Cowan rather than anyone else.

Personally if we are going to run a player with a question mark as the sub, it HAS to be Sam Walsh.

Anything else is a bit of wishful thinking.  Walsh irrespective of his fitness would be a game changer as a sub, and if selected as a sub and needed early can help in pretty much any inside or outside midfield role, which gives the team a bit of flexibility.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson